Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

ELVIS THE DUMBEST ROCK STAR EXTRAVAGANCES

Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:29 am

PRESLEY'S SANDWICH TRIP TOPS ROCK STAR EXTRAVAGANCES POLL

ELVIS PRESLEY's love of sandwiches has landed The King at the top of a bizarre new Rock Star Extravagances poll.

The tragic rocker's 1976 trip to Denver, Colorado to pick up 22 Fool's Gold sandwiches (peanut butter, jelly and bacon) cost Presley an estimated $3,387 (GBP1,880).

The trip has put Presley at the top of Maxim magazine's new Dumbest Rock Star Extravagances list.

Blender's CLARK COLLIS explains that Presley's sandwich stop isn't the largest sum of money spent on an item by a rocker on the new list, but it is the most bizarre.

He says, "He spent the money on sandwiches, so hats off to him."

The top five bizarre celebrity whims on the new list are:
1. ELVIS PRESLEY flies to Colorado to pick up sandwiches (1976)

2. MICHAEL JACKSON paid pal MARLON BRANDO $1 million (GBP555,500) to appear briefly at his 30th Anniversary concert on the eve of the 9/11 terrorist attacks in 2001

3. THE BEATLES' one-time Apple Corps employee 'MAGIC' ALEX once earned $510,000 (GBP283,000) in a year by coming up with a number of zany inventions that didn't work. He was fired

4. MICK FLEETWOOD estimates he has spent $8 million (GBP4.4 million) on cocaine

5. ELTON JOHN's admission he once spent over $410,000 (GBP228,000) on flowers in 1996 and 1997

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed ... ces%20poll

YEAH SURE, SPENDING $8 million ON COCAINE is not dumb but cool.:evil: :evil:
Last edited by Jove on Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:40 am

Sounds like Elvis' sandwich binge was rather inexpensive compared to the others.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:04 am

One thing's for sure.........in-flight catering's not what it used to be. :D

Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:13 am

Newspaper editors like positive stories about Elvis too.

They have eaten hundreds of thousands of them already:-)

Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:08 pm

Smile Maurice, I was only taking the piss out of you! )

Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:27 pm

JEFF d wrote:Sounds like Elvis' sandwich binge was rather inexpensive compared to the others.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Yes... And If I have the opportunity to do that...... I´d do it! :shock:

Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:30 pm

Marco Aurelio wrote:Yes... And If I have the opportunity to do that...... I´d do it! :shock:

Ok...ok....Marco.

We will get our airplane and fly to Rio de Janeiro just to buy some sandwiches...

Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:31 pm

thefunkyangel,
Yes you have done it before, and I don't mind a joke when it is not personal and does not contain offensive words like bastard. Not everyone here reads English quite the same.

You can of course delete your gratuitous remarks and I will delete the reply.

Steve_M, already called me a twat this week, and then deleted his post. Just as I was going to reply!

Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:18 pm

Yesterday I flew to Hawaii for a cup of tea, but I had it mixed up with England and therefore I had to fly back without having my cup of tea. But I don't think that Elvis was dumb because of his sandwiches. It's just a little extravagant. I would judge Elvis as dumb because he let his father take care of his money and because he was fooled by RCA and the colonel. But not because of his sandwiches.....

Re: ELVIS THE DUMBEST ROCK STAR

Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:06 am

Jove wrote:PRESLEY'S SANDWICH TRIP TOPS ROCK STAR EXTRAVAGANCES POLL

ELVIS PRESLEY's love of sandwiches has landed The King at the top of a bizarre new Rock Star Extravagances poll.

The tragic rocker's 1976 trip to Denver, Colorado to pick up 22 Fool's Gold sandwiches (peanut butter, jelly and bacon) cost Presley an estimated $3,387 (GBP1,880).

The trip has put Presley at the top of Maxim magazine's new Dumbest Rock Star Extravagances list.

Blender's CLARK COLLIS explains that Presley's sandwich stop isn't the largest sum of money spent on an item by a rocker on the new list, but it is the most bizarre.

He says, "He spent the money on sandwiches, so hats off to him."

The top five bizarre celebrity whims on the new list are:
1. ELVIS PRESLEY flies to Colorado to pick up sandwiches (1976)

2. MICHAEL JACKSON paid pal MARLON BRANDO $1 million (GBP555,500) to appear briefly at his 30th Anniversary concert on the eve of the 9/11 terrorist attacks in 2001

3. THE BEATLES' one-time Apple Corps employee 'MAGIC' ALEX once earned $510,000 (GBP283,000) in a year by coming up with a number of zany inventions that didn't work. He was fired

4. MICK FLEETWOOD estimates he has spent $8 million (GBP4.4 million) on cocaine

5. ELTON JOHN's admission he once spent over $410,000 (GBP228,000) on flowers in 1996 and 1997

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed ... ces%20poll

YEAH SURE, SPENDING $8 million ON COCAINE is not dumb but cool.:evil: :evil:

It may seem like quibbling, but Jove, your title is a bit misleading
and inflamatory. The Maxim article calls it:
the "Dumbest Rock Star Extravagances" -not the "Dumbest Rock
Star." Out of respect, you should change it.

They don't say Elvis was dumb -but that his action was dumb.

There's a difference -and even Maxim knows it.

Besides, just today I ran into a neighbor who said he and his wife
are flying in pizza (literally from Chicago)
across the country to the east coast
instead of having the traditional turkey dinner for thanksgiving.

I thought it was absurd in a way (why not do it right and celebrate
properly with a turkey and all the fixing as is the tradition)
but on the other hand, such an act
has tricked down as a "rock star" act of "living it up."

Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:07 am

That's true Greg. Smart people do dumb things all the time. And it has often been true that the more money you have, the sillier ways you find to spend it.

Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:10 am

SORRY abbbbbbbout that mate :oops:

Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:06 am

100% right on the Delboy. 8)

Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:36 pm

Jove, thanks for the title edit...! You're "A-OK."

That said, it's interesting to see how Elvis is "remembered"
in popular culture. I've actually seen worse in magazines.

I have to ask: Did they show a '77 concert shot with this article?

Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:43 pm

I could be wrong, Greg, but I think the article I saw used a shot from 1975.

Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:32 pm

If Marlon Brando was such a pal of Michael Jackson's then why did he charge him a million dollars to attend his concert. Any real friend would've have been there for free and would've wanted to be there for free.

I think Elvis buying car's for total strangers was a bit much. The insane amount of Jewerly he bought was way too much as well. I sort of understand why Vernon was always worried about going broke, when he watched his son practically throw his money away without proper investments and tax shelters, along with his lopsided deal with the colonel. When you make more money than you can keep track of and/or manage, you are bound to get ripped off, and lose site of the value of money.
Last edited by ekenee on Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:19 am

What I want to know is who the H-E-double hockey sticks is actually READING the articles in Maxim! Gosh what am I gonna do with you people. The whole purpose of Maxim is to drool over the photos of the lovely actresses, models, and pop singers in lingeree!