Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis New Years TV Special.........WHY?

Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:09 am

I think that one of these major TV networks(CBS,NBC,ABC) should have done a live broadcast on New Years Eve 1975 of Elvis' concert in Pontiac, MI! Why not? It was his biggest concert, and besides that it was a first in Elvis' history, and also it would probably would have been a big success! Oh well we can always dream.......
Last edited by Leo on Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:04 am

Has that ever been done by a major network for any artist? I would think that New Years programming would be pretty general so as to cater for all.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:13 am

true, but E's image would've been murdered to death by the public. i think he looks worse there than the CBS special. i mean, it would've been bigger than the CBS special, due to the size of the auditorium and the momentum of the event, but the pants splitting and if you seen the pics, i personally think he looks worse. i would rather a year later in pittsburgh, i'd be proud of that special! :D

Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:52 am

Yeah but they had a whole year to plan this after the Pontiac show, and could have filmed the one in Pittsburgh the following year. Playing the piano and singing "rags to riches", recieving the liberty bell award, taking requests, the countdown, auld lang syme, reconsider baby, big boss man, fever, and on and on, and on. Man this would've been a great special. Rockin with Elvis New Year's Eve, 1976-77.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:30 pm

ekenee wrote:Yeah but they had a whole year to plan this after the Pontiac show, and could have filmed the one in Pittsburgh the following year. Playing the piano and singing "rags to riches", recieving the liberty bell award, taking requests, the countdown, auld lang syme, reconsider baby, big boss man, fever, and on and on, and on. Man this would've been a great special. Rockin with Elvis New Year's Eve, 1976-77.

I agree... It would be my top 5 DVD from Elvis... Could you imagine this Pittsburgh concert in the same quality as Aloha ??? :shock: :shock: How good it is to dream sometimes!! :lol:

Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:32 pm

Yeah!! Filmed in multi angle!!

Dreams!!!

Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:15 pm

I read (probably on this board!) that this show was recorded on soundboard.
It makes sense, as many dec '75 Las Vegas shows are recorded, and also all early '76 shows. So why not Pontiac?
However, the tapes were re-used to record something else at a later point. (non Elvis)

If this is true it's a shame, but I don't think a soundboard recording of this show is out there anymore..

Cheers, RJ

Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:20 pm

I wouldn't have been the best choice to film Elvis, because he was simply fat at this time. I guess they wanted to wait until the king has lost on pound or another before considering to film him.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:56 pm

I've read that there were plans to do a live radio broadcast of one of Elvis' 1975 concerts, I believe one from the May-June tour.

Regarding the Pontiac show it's an example of mis-information that is sometimes spread in books. Years ago I had read that the show was short (30-40 minutes), and Elvis' performance lackluster. With the emergence of the audience recording we now know that this was a longer-than-usual show, and a rather good performance by Elvis (according to the reviews of the recording. I don't have the show and have only heard excerpts).

The only way this show would have been broadcast is if they had planned it a few months ahead of time so that Elvis would have had adequate time to get in shape. The reality is that this concert was a quickly put together money generating event. Which is a shame, as an in shape Elvis performing before the largest audience of his career and broadcast live on New Years Eve could have generated another strong-selling live album, and generally raised his profile with the general public at this time -something that was needed.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:14 pm

ekenee wrote:Yeah but they had a whole year to plan this after the Pontiac show, and could have filmed the one in Pittsburgh the following year. Playing the piano and singing "rags to riches", recieving the liberty bell award, taking requests, the countdown, auld lang syme, reconsider baby, big boss man, fever, and on and on, and on. Man this would've been a great special. Rockin with Elvis New Year's Eve, 1976-77.

I don´t think they had the whole year to plan. Elvis had a new jet to pay and had bought a lot of cars, so Elvis had to work on new years eve. I read somewhere that the Colonel "found the right money in Pontiac" to avoid being bankrupt.

Regards Björn

Re: Elvis New Years TV Special.........WHY?

Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:20 pm

Leo wrote:I think that one of these major TV networks(CBS,NBC,ABC) should have done a live broadcast on New Years Eve 1975 of Elvis' concert in Pontiac, MI! Why not? It was his biggest concert, and besides that it was a first in Elvis' history, and also it would probably would have been a big success! Oh well we can always dream.......

In 1975, I think that they still had some hope of that Elvis could put himself into good shape again and didn´t plan any TV appearences. That hope was probably lost in 1977 and again they needed money (Elvis hadn´t that much money at the time of his death). But the question is: had they showed the CBS special if Elvis was still alive?

regards Björn

Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:02 pm

The Pontiac show is alright, sounds pretty much like the March ´76 shows... But it´s certainly nothing special considering it was such a big concert (his biggest crowd ever). I´ve read that EP himself was pretty depressed after the show, he didn´t like how the stage was set up (the band and orchestra were on a lower level) - and of course it wasn´t the best time and place to split his pants... :oops: