Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Dixieland Rocks

Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:21 pm

About a month or so ago I got a new work vehicle from my employers, a Jeep liberty. This vehicle came with a cd player, so I've recently been taking cd's to work to listen to while en route to my daily inspections. Yesterday I listened to Dixieland Rocks for the first time in a long time, and I was struck by the excellent sound quality. This was a soundboard recording was it not? And not a multi-track. So how did they get this to sound so good?

Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:29 pm

You'll get flamed now for playing an FTD in your car...not from me though! I play them from time to time on the way to work, I guess it would be different if they were actually limited editions like they were supposed to be in the first place but anyway!!

To answer you question - it depends on the source tape, cassettes tend to have a lower fidelity than reel to reel recordings and it's my guess that this show came from a reel to reel. Another great sounding show is Dinner At Eight which also was from a reel to reel source. Notice how the recordings from August 1974 have that lower grade sound, those all came from cassettes.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:37 pm

You´re right Pete, it is a soundboard recording and it sounds great! How did they make it sound this great...hmm, well, they got lucky when they recorded the show I suppose. :wink: What´s really making this release great is the fact that both sound quality and the quality of the content is top notch. Besides that, the show is also complete, and that makes it even greater! :)


Sincerely MB280E

Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:51 pm

MB280E wrote:You´re right Pete, it is a soundboard recording and it sounds great! How did they make it sound this great...hmm, well, they got lucky when they recorded the show I suppose. :wink: What´s really making this release great is the fact that both sound quality and the quality of the content is top notch. Besides that, the show is also complete, and that makes it even greater! :)


Sincerely MB280E


Actually, it ain't complete. It's a combination of two shows. I guess you're confusing this release with "Keep the Fire Burning" which does feature a complete show! "Dixieland Rocks" is a GREAT release though!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:20 pm

Matthew wrote:You'll get flamed now for playing an FTD in your car...not from me though! I play them from time to time on the way to work.


:smt021

Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:23 pm

Rob wrote:
Matthew wrote:You'll get flamed now for playing an FTD in your car...not from me though! I play them from time to time on the way to work.


:smt021

Sometimes they can be quite handy as drinks coasters too. 8)

Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:58 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
MB280E wrote:You´re right Pete, it is a soundboard recording and it sounds great! How did they make it sound this great...hmm, well, they got lucky when they recorded the show I suppose. :wink: What´s really making this release great is the fact that both sound quality and the quality of the content is top notch. Besides that, the show is also complete, and that makes it even greater! :)


Sincerely MB280E


Actually, it ain't complete. It's a combination of two shows. I guess you're confusing this release with "Keep the Fire Burning" which does feature a complete show! "Dixieland Rocks" is a GREAT release though!

Keith Richards, Jr.



No, I am not confusing it with anything! I know about the Keep The Fire Burning release, and of course you´re right, there are a couple of tracks from May 7th. 1975 on Dixieland Rocks.

Sincerely MB280E

Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:08 am

I agree Pete, DIXIELAND ROCKS is a kick ass disc, Elvis' singing is sublime and the sound is really great for a soundboard show.

I think a standout performance for me is FAIRYTALE. Elvis layz out sum great vocal work on that song.

I jus wish the damn artwork would have been a bit better... :roll:

Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:03 am

It is funny but took this out also to listen to in my car. Although the
reason I did take this out is not only haven't I listened to this in a while
but it will be a prelude to the upcoming Southern Nights.

Looking at the track listing I am glad they put together rare preformances from the tour, but I wish some of the Ashville preformances were on it.
The ta;e is supposed to be incomplete but maybe they could have put some of those songs on as a bonus.

Burnign Love

Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:12 am

I go a long with that statment...good FTD and here"s looking forward to the follow up,SN.

Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:27 am

What's wrong with playing FTDs in the car CD?
I do it all the time.
rick

Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:58 am

rick wrote:What's wrong with playing FTDs in the car CD?
I do it all the time.
rick


It all depends on how bumpy the roads are... :wink:

And also how well the cd(s) are protected from dirt and direct sunlight...

Personally, I always make copies for my car cd player.

Otherwise I would never forgive myself if I accidently should break or damage an original cd, not just Elvis or FTD cds, but originals period!

Br
Kristian

Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:46 pm

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:Personally, I always make copies for my car cd player.


That´s the point.
Rule #1: Don´t ever play your original FTD in your car!

Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:54 pm

Really glad to hear all these great comments about Dixieland Rocks as I have just bought it and am waiting for it to arrive. :wink: :D

Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:11 am

bray1977 wrote:Really glad to hear all these great comments about Dixieland Rocks as I have just bought it and am waiting for it to arrive. :wink: :D


You will not regret when you receive your copy. :wink: