Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Bodyguard/Memphis Mafia books

Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:09 am

I was making a list of all the books written by bodyguards or MMM's and wanted to make sure I got them all.
Elvis What Happened by Red and Sonny West & Dave Hebler
Me n Elvis by Charlie Hodge
Good Rockin' Tonight by Joe Esposito
My Years with Elvis by Alan Fortas
The Elvis Conspiracy? by Dick Grob
Elvis We Love You Tender by the Stanleys
Elvis My Brother by Billy Stanley
The Touch of Two Kings by Rick Stanley
Life with Elvis by David Stanley
The Elvis Encyclopedia by David Stanley
Elvis: The Last 24 Hours by David Stanley & Albert Goldman
Elvis: Portait of a Friend by Marty Lacker
Elvis Aaron Presley by Marty Lacker, Lamar Fike, & Billy Smith
Elvis by Lamar Fike & Albert Goldman
The Truth About Elvis by Larry Geller & Jess Stern
If I Can Dream by Larry Geller, and
Inside Elvis by Ed Parker
Also, Smith, Grob, and Hodge were contributers to Sean Shaver's The Life Of Elvis Presley.

Are there any I am missing from this list? For those of you have read any or all of them, which do you find essential and which are ones to not bother with?

Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:17 am

I've read:

Elvis What Happened
Elvis Aaron Presley: Revelations from the Memphis Mafia
Elvis by Lamar Fike & Albert Goldman
If I Can Dream by Larry Geller

Out of those titles, I'd say Revelations and If I Can Dream by Larry Geller are the best reads.

What Happened is interesting mainly because it was the first and it was written during E's lifetime. Elvis by Albert Goldman is pretty brutal.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:10 pm

There's also a book by Rick Stanley, which was available in some Christian bookshops called Caught In A Trap, it might be a bit hard to find these days but if you want I can try & find out it's IBSN number. 8)

Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:47 pm

Let's not forget "Elvis and Kathy" by Kathy Westmoreland. I enjoyed reading that book probably more than the rest. Charlie's book has some nice memories but Charlie seems to take himself too seriously, or gives himself much more credit, I suspect, than he deserved for Elvis' sucess. He also did a video called "The Elvis I Knew" and the host of the program, with a straight face no less, actually introduced Hodge as "a legend in his own time". HA!!!

Axe

Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:35 am

Yeah, I have that video, axeman. It is pretty comical to see that. Some nice footage on the tape, though.

Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:55 am

Indeed!

Axe