Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Merry Christmas Baby

Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:05 am

My favourite version of this track is the undubbed long version which features on the Elvis Sings The Wondeful World Of Christmas CD. Has this version been used on any Christmas compilations or does the shorter dubbed version generally get used?

Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:34 am

Merry Christmas, Baby on the original LP album was the edited, overdubbed 5 minutes version.
The CD edition used the long, unedited version for some reason.
You can also get the long version on MEMORIES OF CHRISTMAS along with the long version of O' COME ALL YE FAITHFUL.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:42 am

bajo wrote:Merry Christmas, Baby on the original LP album was the edited, overdubbed 5 minutes version.
The CD edition used the long, unedited version for some reason.
You can also get the long version on MEMORIES OF CHRISTMAS along with the long version of O' COME ALL YE FAITHFUL.
Plus I'll Be home On Christmas Day,If Every DayWas Like Christmas Outtakes.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:47 pm

Matthew -

This is what I've got noted:

===============================================
“MERRY CHRISTMAS, BABY” APA4-1264
15/ 5/71 RCA STUDIO NASHVILLE

A Johnny Moore’s Three Blazers original from 1949 (vocal by Charles Brown.)
Cover by Chuck Berry in 1958.
# 5:45 # Take 1 - Master - A studio jam. Eddie Hinton [or James Burton] overdubbed a guitar solo on top
of the original piano/harmonica instrumental break.
A priceless example of perfect blues singing and playing.
On 1971 album: The Wonderful World Of Christmas – RIAA 3x Platinum CD: 1990.
A 1979 UK single - flip: It Won’t Seem Like Christmas (Without You) a No. 13.
On 1987 album: I Wish You A Merry Christmas.
On 1994 album: If Every Day Was Like Christmas – RIAA Gold.
On 1995 box set: 70’s Masters - RIAA Gold.
On 1999 3-CD Set: Artist of the Century
On 2000 CD: White Christmas
On 2003 CD: Christmas Peace
# 2:48 # With strings overdubbed for the film: This Is Elvis.
On 1981 album: This Is Elvis - RIAA Gold.
# 7:50 # Extended version (original unedited?) without guitar overdub.
On 1982 US album: Memories of Christmas – RIAA Gold.
On 1982 UK album: It Won’t Seem Like Christmas Without You.
# 7:18 # Extended version.
On 1990 CD reissue of 1971 album: The Wonderful World Of Christmas.
# 7:10 # Alt. edit.
On 1985 album: Reconsider Baby.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:18 pm

Colin B - is the version on Reconsider Baby undubbed?

Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:46 am

ColinB wrote:# 7:50 # Extended version (original unedited?) without guitar overdub.

This version is a doctored one, you can clearly hear the splices (at 4:32 and 5:44), it looks they spliced back in parts of the overdubbed version to make it seem longer.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:05 am

thenexte -

Thanks !

I wasn't sure about this track, hence the question mark !

I'll amend my notes.

Do you think the 7:18 version is the complete one, then ?

[And you'll notice I hedged my bets over who did the guitar overdub]

Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:27 am

I do not think Joan Deary was going to make the jam longer artificially. The overdubs (not including guitar) were all on the one multitrack reel. My guess would be that a certain length after intro and before fadeout was where all the overdubbing(not guitar) was done, So when you play the multitrack(all faders up) from beginning to end you will hear the differences where overdubs began and when they ended.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:50 am

ColinB wrote:Matthew -

This is what I've got noted:

“MERRY CHRISTMAS, BABY” APA4-1264
15/ 5/71 RCA STUDIO NASHVILLE

A Johnny Moore’s Three Blazers original from 1949 (vocal by Charles Brown.)
Cover by Chuck Berry in 1958.
# 5:45 # Take 1 - Master - A studio jam. Eddie Hinton [or James Burton] overdubbed a guitar solo on top
of the original piano/harmonica instrumental break.
A priceless example of perfect blues singing and playing.
On 1971 album: The Wonderful World Of Christmas – RIAA 3x Platinum CD: 1990.
A 1979 UK single - flip: It Won’t Seem Like Christmas (Without You) a No. 13.
On 1987 album: I Wish You A Merry Christmas.
On 1994 album: If Every Day Was Like Christmas – RIAA Gold.
On 1995 box set: 70’s Masters - RIAA Gold.
On 1999 3-CD Set: Artist of the Century
On 2000 CD: White Christmas
On 2003 CD: Christmas Peace
# 2:48 # With strings overdubbed for the film: This Is Elvis.
On 1981 album: This Is Elvis - RIAA Gold.
# 7:50 # Extended version (original unedited?) without guitar overdub.
# 7:18 # Extended version.
On 1990 CD reissue of 1971 album: The Wonderful World Of Christmas.
# 7:10 # Alt. edit.
On 1985 album: Reconsider Baby.

The 5.45 version is also on a great 2 vol (4 side) compilation from the mid-late 80s called Mess O' Blues. Unusually, the copyright is with Premier Records - it says the songs are licensed from BMG RCA Records. I used to play that set to death years ago.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:23 am

JLGB wrote:I do not think Joan Deary was going to make the jam longer artificially. The overdubs (not including guitar) were all on the one multitrack reel. My guess would be that a certain length after intro and before fadeout was where all the overdubbing(not guitar) was done, So when you play the multitrack(all faders up) from beginning to end you will hear the differences where overdubs began and when they ended.

But that would not explain the sudden drop of levels (by 3 dB) when the splice starts and the pickup after it finishes. Also, the sound changes completely to a different spectrum during the splice, which it definitely would not if just overdubbed instruments were added to the same source.

Supposedly the long version of "O Come All Ye Faithful" was created the same way (taking splices from different takes and piecing them together to create a "previously unreleased" version). Remember those were the good ol' 80's, where RCA would still get away with such patch work...

Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:30 am

You are probably right thenexte. But with O come All ye Faithful the editing is seamless. Will be interesting to know what really happened with MCB.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:09 pm

thenexte wrote:This version is a doctored one, you can clearly hear the splices (at 4:32 and 5:44), it looks they spliced back in parts of the overdubbed version to make it seem longer.

thenexte - are you going by the officially released version on Memories Of Christmas? I don't have this release so can't comment. But I have heard the version on the O Come All Ye Faithful bootleg, and it certainly matches your description, with the overdubbed guitar solo section clearly spliced in. As you say, there's a slight pitch change, a drop in volume, and a change in sound spectrum. I'd be surprised if the official release is as clumsily edited as that , however. And since most of the tracks on the OCAYF boot have been doctored to artificially create 'alternate' versions, you can't necessarily assume the version of MCB is the same as the official releases.

Cheers

Johnny

Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:23 pm

thenexte -

You wrote:
Supposedly the long version of "O Come All Ye Faithful" was created the same way (taking splices from different takes and piecing them together to create a "previously unreleased" version).

But Merry Christmas, Baby is a one-take jam !

So if an artificially 'extended' version has been manufactured with splices, parts of the song must repeat themselves.

So, on the 7:50 version, do these 'repeats' occur ?

Can't say I've noticed !

I remain unconvinced.

[Where is Steve Sholes when you need him ?]

Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:13 pm

The sound changes a bit but I really have not noticed any repeats. It is a blues and repeats, but I mean repeat repeat. Elvis does it different everytime!

Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:21 pm

The long version of O Come All Ye Faithful has a completely different, shiver-inducing ending, where Elvis goes up an octave. It's one of my favourite Christmas tracks but was missed off the main collection (the one also issued with a pop-up Graceland), and that really bugged me.

I had always assumed that the original must have been edited-down from this longer version.

Steve Morse

Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:47 pm

JLGB wrote:The sound changes a bit but I really have not noticed any repeats.
It is a blues and repeats, but I mean repeat repeat.
Elvis does it different everytime!

My thoughts exactly !

Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:44 pm

JLGB wrote:You are probably right thenexte. But with O come All ye Faithful the editing is seamless. Will be interesting to know what really happened with MCB.

I never noticed splices on MCB, I'll have to dig that out again. But the first time I heard that version of OCAYF, at age 11, I noticed the obvious edit.

Axe

Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:34 am

Steve Morse wrote:The long version of O Come All Ye Faithful has a completely different, shiver-inducing ending, where Elvis goes up an octave. It's one of my favourite Christmas tracks but was missed off the main collection (the one also issued with a pop-up Graceland), and that really bugged me.

I had always assumed that the original must have been edited-down from this longer version.

Steve Morse

It's the other way 'round, the alternate version is an edit of different takes (Takes 1&2), while the master is a single take (Take 1).

Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:33 am

ColinB wrote:thenexte -

You wrote:
Supposedly the long version of "O Come All Ye Faithful" was created the same way (taking splices from different takes and piecing them together to create a "previously unreleased" version).

But Merry Christmas, Baby is a one-take jam !

So if an artificially 'extended' version has been manufactured with splices, parts of the song must repeat themselves.

So, on the 7:50 version, do these 'repeats' occur ?

Can't say I've noticed !

I remain unconvinced.

[Where is Steve Sholes when you need him ?]

I remain unconvinced as well, Colin.

I'm going to have to
break out the long-version - once it's at least December!

Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:38 am

By the time you find out,xmas will be past. :P 8)

Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:14 am

thenexte wrote:
Steve Morse wrote:The long version of O Come All Ye Faithful has a completely different, shiver-inducing ending, where Elvis goes up an octave. It's one of my favourite Christmas tracks but was missed off the main collection (the one also issued with a pop-up Graceland), and that really bugged me.

Steve Morse

It's the other way 'round, the alternate version is an edit of different takes (Takes 1&2), while the master is a single take (Take 1).
If this is true,then it was done for the better. This surpasses the original master. Fine work(if it is an edit of 2 takes) to place outtake vocal track that had only band within the context of the finished "new" master with all the choir etc overdubs. Get it if you haven't. This is by far the best O Come All Ye Faithful version. Love the tape hiss too! No life reduction. I mean noise reduction. :wink:

Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:23 am

If anyone has an mp3 of the long version of O' Come all Ye Faithful, please PM me. The second Christmas album is by no means a fave of mine, but I'm intrigued to hear how much better the edit is.

Thanks

Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:12 am

By the way. there's an import album of
manufactured (phony) outtakes of Christmas
songs posted on Jordan's site. Critics ripped it, but I thought it
was interesting.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:15 pm

thenexte -

You wrote [about 'O Come All Ye Faithful':

According to my notes, the long version is take 1.

The short [master] version is a splice of takes 1 & 2.

Anyone ?

And the superior long version hasn't seen the light of day on any [official] CD yet !

Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:50 pm

According to my info the master is take 1.
Take 2 was on Memories of Xmas.

And the fake (spl.1/2) long version should be on this "O Come All Ye.."...right..?