Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Is this microphone similar to what Elvis used mid 70's?

Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:20 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/EV-RE16-Dynamic-Mic ... dZViewItem

Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:26 pm

This is more like the microphone Elvis used during his August/September engagement in 1971 (see the album cover of "Now")

Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:16 pm

I was thinking it was close to this one?

Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:05 pm

If you would remove the wind screen you would find the head is different. Much like the microphone he used in "TTWII".

Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:00 pm

Damn, I used to know the exact model of the mics he used. I worked for a company for XX years and we sold tons of microphones for pa systems and other events. I had looked up that exact mic back in like 82 or 83...getting to damn old to remember some of this stuff.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:50 am

A friend explained it to me like this:
The Aloha mike is an Electrovoice RE15.
The engineers changed Elvis to a to a Shure 57 with a windscreen after the MSG shows (the belief is he used the RE15 in the April tour but I can't get this verified). The 57 was kind is squared off at the top (note June and November 1972 tour photos, but back to the RE15 in Vegas in August/September 1972).
The first EV just didn't sound any good. The last one Elvis liked because he could couple to the diaphram and extend his low range. Microphones have what's called proximity which changes the sound quality as you get closer. The bass gets fuller due to the proximity and this particular mic had lots of it when you were right on it. Elvis was a frustrated bass singer.
Re the proximity and Elvis frustrations as a bass singer, it would make him seem like he has a stronger and deeper bass than his naturally higer oriented range. He would take a note down and then JD would take it down another octave or more.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:22 am

The mic on ebay also looks very similar to the mic used in the Seperate Ways piece from On Tour. Also, the mic Jackie Kahane is using looks to be Elvis' mic minus the windscreen. Did Jackie use that mic and then they put a fresh wind screen on it????????????

Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:54 am

Great info Jimbo....wish I had a friend like that!
:)