Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:31 am

Kingtiger0321 wrote:Sorry didn't meant to give Ideas to EPE :oops:

As for people hating Elvis, sadly it is true. If I even say the that I listen to Elvis or have Elvis playing on my radio at work, I get a lot grief about it. I don't say one word about there music, but let me put on an Elvis song and it's all over but the crying.

I know what you mean. That's the same abuse I go through still. And I have even hooked some on Elvis, but in pubic they will not even talk about him, his music, or liking either. :cry:

Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:04 am

Kingtiger0321 wrote:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219028#219028

Unfortunatly it's not just his music they do not like. They have on more than one occasion said I HATE ELVIS. To bad they don't know what they are missing as far as his music goes.

Ask them for one good reason why they hate him. It's not like he was a rotten person and treated people like garbage. Oprah Winfrey has talked about something to the effect where once a star becomes wildly popular then people for some reason begin to turn on them, perhaps citing jealousy, I don't know. I've never heard her complete explanation, perhaps somebody who has heard her make a comment along these same lines, can shed some more light on this.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:47 am

Joe Car wrote:
Kingtiger0321 wrote:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219028#219028

Unfortunatly it's not just his music they do not like. They have on more than one occasion said I HATE ELVIS. To bad they don't know what they are missing as far as his music goes.

Ask them for one good reason why they hate him. It's not like he was a rotten person and treated people like garbage. Oprah Winfrey has talked about something to the effect where once a star becomes wildly popular then people for some reason begin to turn on them, perhaps citing jealousy, I don't know. I've never heard her complete explanation, perhaps somebody who has heard her make a comment along these same lines, can shed some more light on this.

Actually I have asked why they hate Elvis so much and the responses are rediculous. Most of it has to do with Elvis being a "druggie", they think he was a fat junkie in a jumpsuite who didn't have a clue. When you try to contradict that then you're blind you didn't see it , blah blah blah also I know one guy who just for my benefit will always point out that I'm an Elvis fan, then he will laugh and tell how Elvis died while doing drugs while he was on the toilet. I guess I don't understand why that has to always be brough up, yes Elvis did die on the toilet but why would that make you hate him, If Elvis was as big a druggie as they all think, why would that make you hate him. It's not just a hand full of people either, most people in this state are like that. If they didn't like the music, I could understand that, but to hate Elvis just because of things he may or may not have done in his private life is wrong and trying to tell people different is like talking to a wall. It's hard to tell somebody what is fact when they already know everything there is to know.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:56 am

Kingtiger0321 wrote:[ I know one guy who just for my benefit will always point out that I'm an Elvis fan, then he will laugh and tell how Elvis died while doing drugs while he was on the toilet. I guess I don't understand why that has to always be brough up, yes Elvis did die on the toilet but why would that make you hate him, If Elvis was as big a druggie as they all think, why would that make you hate him.

I don't understand why that causes people to dislike him. I also don't understand why it's a source of amusement to anyone. What the hell is funny about anyone dying in that fashion? Callous f*****s!

Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:41 pm

From what I understand, he was not on the toliet but had fallen from a reading chair in the bathroom. but most people dont know that his bathroom was bigger than the average john..

as for as the Ducks , coffee , and paper jumpsuits are concern
are no different than the dogtags, hounddog lipstick, teddybear perfume of the fiftys..

I believe then and still do now that Elvis will ALWAYS be remembered for the music..
later Elton

Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:36 pm

From my expirience talking to non-fans I can say that most of them HATE impersonators. The sight of them, their attitude, their appearance etc. And sadly some of them project their feelings on Elvis. Furthermore most have no idea about his artistic legacy and the man behind the lies (illegal drugs, never good looks etc.) They cannot understand why he still has such a "power" over people of all ages. You are 22? Shock! I thought all of his fans are over 70. You must be collecting tacky merchandise and think he is still alive! You don't have a shrine? Bummer. What??? There is great music? I thought he recorded maybe 20 good songs, with most of them sounding like Teddy Bear and Hound Dog and the rest are silly movie tunes.

Just to name a few examples of what I get to hear, because I am not a closet fan. Anyway I get a kick out of teaching them folks wrong and normaly positive, intelligent discussions evolve. And I have yet to meet a single soul that does not appreciate the music, the voice and the icon.

There are locals in Memphis or Americans, who are fed up by Elvis presence? So what? It's like when you are living in a region, that tourists flock to and just love it. To you it is normal, because you are always there. And there are times when you hate the sight of it. Though I still think it's impossible and ignorant to hate a person you don't have a fricking clue about, but each to his own.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:50 pm

Melanie wrote:There are locals in Memphis or Americans, who are fed up by Elvis presence? So what?

Exactly. It's nothing to worry about. I, too, get sick of hearing about Elvis in the mainstream media: "Oooh, he's The King! He invented rock'n'roll, his Sun records are timeless, he was such a loving father and husband, yada-yada-yada!" So I stay away. I live in my own little Elvis world. I understand those people. It's like me and The Beatles. I like their music a lot, but I don't own one single CD of theirs; simply becuase I'm sick of hearing about how fantastic they were. Like the great Colonel Parker said, "Overexposure is like a sunburn. It can hurt." Wise words indeed.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:50 pm

Melanie wrote:Furthermore most have no idea about his artistic legacy and the man behind the lies (illegal drugs, never good looks etc.) They cannot understand why he still has such a "power" over people of all ages. You are 22? Shock! I thought all of his fans are over 70. You must be collecting tacky merchandise and think he is still alive! You don't have a shrine? Bummer. What??? There is great music? I thought he recorded maybe 20 good songs, with most of them sounding like Teddy Bear and Hound Dog and the rest are silly movie tunes.

Just to name a few examples of what I get to hear, because I am not a closet fan. Anyway I get a kick out of teaching them folks wrong and normaly positive, intelligent discussions evolve. And I have yet to meet a single soul that does not appreciate the music, the voice and the icon.

I get the same comments, except they don't think I'm 22. They think all Elvis fans are either 70 years old or close to it. They ask me if I have any tacky Elvis merchandise (I do have an Elvis purse, shirt and Christmas orntament.)

When people start making fun of Elvis, I tell them about how he was such a great singer and had such a good range. I don't think anyone has come close to it since. If I get a chance and the person isn't a total jerk, I let them hear Hurt or How Great Thou Art and they are always impressed.

Poor Elvis, he was such a great singer, but he is mostly known for a few songs.

Re: I'll take my Elvis with Decaf.............give me a brea

Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:39 pm

Kingtiger0321 wrote:Slowly but surely condoms

Shouldn't that be It ain't no big thing, but it's growing condoms. Also, don't forget Burning Love Crab Spray.

Tom

Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:48 pm

LOL, Tom...How about "Hard Knocks Condoms"??

I don't know if it's fair to say that people in the USA (or anywhere else, for that matter) "hate" Elvis. That may be a bit too strong of a generalization. I think it's more fair to say that many people do not respect him--his body of work, talent, legacy, etc. Those things get clouded by the ducks, coffees, and other ungodly trinkets we see out there.

I believe EPE says the right things with regard to Elvis' image and such, but their actions speak louder than words.

Re: I'll take my Elvis with Decaf.............give me a brea

Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:21 pm

Sambo wrote:
Renan wrote:
Kingtiger0321 wrote:Slowly but surely condoms

Please don´t let EPE read this!!

Renan, I thought the same thing with the whole list! You're giving them ideas!

But seriously, shouldn't it be called, "Love Me Tender Condoms"?

Agree. The idea is good but I´m afraid EPE is already doing a project about this.

What about: If you scratch my back, I will scratch your %$#@& :lol: :lol: