Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Harold J Stone

Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:19 pm

According to a posting on EIN, Harold J Stone, who played Big Frank in Girl Happy, has passed away at the age of 92. RIP.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:37 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhwwwwwwwwww I really liked the way he acted!!

Is it confirmed????

If so R.I.P. Big Frank!

Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:42 pm

Renan: EIN lists as their source: Amber Smith.

his death is confirmed by this AP story

Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:53 pm

his death is confirmed by this AP story

http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/entne ... 66000.html

Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:56 am

Yeah I was also sad to hear that. He always played an amiable tough guy. I liked him.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:15 pm

Harold J Stone.

"I'm Spartacus !"

He won't be saying that anymore.

R.I.P.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:48 am

Rest in peace, Mr. Stone.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:33 am

He was an excellent character actor and was very good in GIRL HAPPY as Shelley"Valerie" Fabare's father and mother. R.I.P. Mr.Harold J.Stone.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:48 am

Hey Colin- That's what my friends and I remember him for even before "Girl Happy". He was a fine actor but most folks would have to admit that his Bronx/or Brooklyn accent was misplaced in "Spartacus".

Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:37 am

I loved "Girl Happy" so much, I found his name in "Who's Who" and wrote him in the late '70's. No response....but I came to understand the brillance of his career later in life. He probably hated the movie, I've never known him to remark on it all. But I'll never forget his part in it. Thank you sir!

Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:23 pm

likethebike wrote:Hey Colin- That's what my friends and I remember him for even before "Girl Happy". He was a fine actor but most folks would have to admit that his Bronx/or Brooklyn accent was misplaced in "Spartacus".

That is always a problem, isn't it ?

Strange, how an 'English' accent makes characters from the 'Roman' era sound more authentic !

No logical reason why it should be so that I can think of !

Was it in Ben Hur that they had all the Romans played by English/Irish actors ?

Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:44 pm

R.I.P. Harry J Stone.

Yes English accents for Roman Emperors:-)

And English actor's Irish accents are just as authentic. LOL

Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:36 pm

I know here in America the reason that works is because an English accent makes a person seem foreign enough but not so foreign that they have to speak in their native tongue. (Marlon Brando played Napoleon with an English accent.) I think for Romans, it especially works with Americans is that we with an English accent is associated with the upper crust. This is what Kirk Douglas and Stanley Kubrick did in "Spartacus". The Romans had English accents and all the slaves except Jean Simmons who was supposed English, had American accents. Maybe "Spartacus" is the movie you are thinking of.

Charlton Heston in "Ben Hur" didn't bother affecting any accent except American.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:08 pm

LTB -

You wrote:
Charlton Heston in "Ben Hur" didn't bother affecting any accent except American.

No, he didn't !

But he wasn't 'Roman' either !

I hear what you say about the English accent being sufficiently 'different' to US ears to pass as 'foreign' !

You also like to cast 'baddies' with English actors, don't you ?

Or European ones at least.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:44 pm

Likethebike, The Brits like to mock John Wayne's, "Gawd" and Brando's "posh" accent as Christian in, Mutiny on the Bounty:-)

Burt Lancaster's Apache accent may have raised a few eyebrows in New Mexico:-)

It's all so silly.

George Bernard Shaw's play, "Pygmalion", and the excellent movie made of it, "My Fair Lady". Is enough to educate anyone on the matter. Shaw boasted he could place an English man within a mile by his accent.

My brother an Irishman, has a broad Walden Lancs UK accent. My sister living in Bolton has a Maureen O' Hara accent, my sister in Wales has a posh Cheshire accent, and I have a fading Salford accent, going green again :-)

Usually it is movie reviewers or journalist that poke fun at actors accents in movies. The man in the street I suspect takes it all in his stride.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:53 pm

Maurice -

OK let's get it out of the way.

Someone had to mention it, sooner or later.

Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.

The worst 'cockney' accent to have graced the screen - ever.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:55 pm

You saw/watched it!!!

Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:24 pm

Brando`s "accent" in Mutiny On The Bounty came close to ruining a quite good film.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:23 pm

RIP Harold J. Stone. Another familiar face from my childhood gone.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:43 pm

ColinB wrote:Maurice -

OK let's get it out of the way.

Someone had to mention it, sooner or later.

Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.

The worst 'cockney' accent to have graced the screen - ever.

Haven't seen it seen I was a kid but it convinced my 8-year self. :lol:

You mean they don't talk like that? :smt037

Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:26 pm

Greg -

You wrote:
You mean they don't talk like that?

Now come on, no one talks like that !

Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:54 pm

ColinB wrote:Greg -

You wrote:

Cor blimey Cawlin, you moit be roit and no mistike, luv a duck, apples and pears, etc, etc

Georrff.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:02 pm

tupelo_boy wrote:
ColinB wrote:Greg -

You wrote:

Cor blimey Cawlin, you moit be roit and no mistike, luv a duck, apples and pears, etc, etc

Georrff.

tupelo_boy, moit and roit sound more Brum to me. But I'll give it foive for a good try:-)

Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:47 pm

REST IN PEACE Mr. Harold J. Stone!!! Big Frank will always be there in the TV´s screen!

:cry: :(