Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Impossible Dream lyric

Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:50 pm

Just listening to Standing Room Only CD and it has piqued a question I oft wondered about in the past.

On the line "to right the unrightable wrong, to love pure and chaste from afar" - what is the lyric change and why was it changed?

It seems to be "to right the unrightable wrong, to be better far than you are" which sounds like nonsense to me.

Any ideas???

Thanks

:smt017

Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:13 pm

Maybe Elvis had been particularly un-chaste that night and the original words stuck in his throat?

:wink:

Jules

Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:40 pm

I agree that it's To Be Better Far Than You Are, but it makes sense to me.

If you'd said "to be far better than you are" that is how I take it. In other words, to strive to be a better person, which kinda fits the emotion of the song.

Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:48 pm

"To be Better Far than you are" - I think that is definitely what he sings in 1972 (although he sings the "real" version in 1971).

I am sure it means to be a better person but "better far" is not a phrase I can get to grips with!!

Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:50 pm

BIGREDG wrote:"To be Better Far than you are" - I think that is definitely what he sings in 1972 (although he sings the "real" version in 1971).

I am sure it means to be a better person but "better far" is not a phrase I can get to grips with!!

He must have tried to sing "better by far" but been unable to fit all the words in, perhaps?

Jules

Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:55 pm

familyjules wrote:
He must have tried to sing "better by far" but been unable to fit all the words in, perhaps?

Jules

Yeah, that works for me!!

Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:13 pm

Anyone notice the annoying out of tune horns at the end of the master version on the 70s box set?

Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:16 pm

Matthew wrote:Anyone notice the annoying out of tune horns at the end of the master version on the 70s box set?

No, but I'm sure I will now!

:cry:

Jules

Re: Impossible Dream lyric

Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:03 pm

BIGREDG wrote:On the line "to right the unrightable wrong, to love pure and chaste from afar" - what is the lyric change and why was it changed?

It seems to be "to right the unrightable wrong, to be better far than you are" which sounds like nonsense to me.

Both of those lines were in the non-Elvis version of The Impossible Dream that I heard when I was young.

Eileen

Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:31 pm

It's simply poetic.

"To be, better far than you are", has always made perfect sense to me.

As others have said, it means "far better", but "far" rhymes with "are" and flows better in the order that Elvis sings it.

It means striving for self improvement.

Steve Morse

Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:17 pm

Steve,

Nice to be on the same wavelength! Does "Great minds think alike" apply, or "fools never differ"??

Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:51 am

If you can't come to grips with word reversals, I wouldn't recommend poetry classical or languages foreign.

In fact, now "to be better far than you are" sounds like something Yoda would say!!! Oh dear, what have I done??? :(

Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:03 pm

You'll be telling me next that Charlie Hodge is a Sith Lord.... :shock: