what if elvis never existed ?

Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:06 pm

what is your opinion :?:

Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:08 pm

I wouldn't be typing this.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:12 pm

Elvis who? :D

Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:18 pm

This would be the For Frankie Laine CD Collectors website.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:19 pm

I,ve seen some pointless topics appear on this Elvis message board but this one takes the cake :wink:

Sean

Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:21 pm

but Sean there'd be no cake to take, without.....Elvis.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:23 pm

tcb4 -

The advent of rock 'n' roll in the mid-fifties created a vacuum.

A figurehead was missing !

Bill Haley was too old, and the US [sadly] wasn't at that time in a position to accept a black singer in the role.

Elvis fitted the job description perfectly.

Without him, I guess someone else would have been sucked into it.

But with a lesser talent, rock 'n' roll may not have blossomed into the worlwide phenomenon that it did.

It may have become a minor footnote in the history of popular music !

Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:26 pm

I'd have had a lot more money and some sort of social life!

Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:27 pm

this is going to be controversial but here's the truth of the matter,if elvis never existed black music (r&b/rock/rap etc) would have never been introduced to white america and therefore black artist like little richard,chuck berry,and even the rap artist of today would still be singing on the street corners of memphis and would still only be played on black radio stations,this is not meant to be a racist statement but it is a fact that can't be changed,other things that wouldn't have happened without elvis would be the beatles,dylan,the doors,beach boys,who,zeppelin,springsteen and many many more because they all say that elvis was the main reason they started singing rock...so there you go,I know it's controversial but someone has to say it....

Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:33 pm

Sometimes the truth can be controversial. :D

Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:38 pm

josh -

I don't disagree with what you say, but without Elvis, someone else could have fulfilled the task.

As I posted earlier, a lesser talent wouldn't have had the impact of Elvis, but the breakthrough for black artists could still have happened, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:45 pm

If Elvis hadn't existed, someone eventually would have "invented" him. It was out of pure necessity that his image and music were so widely embraced.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:55 pm

ColinB wrote:josh -

I don't disagree with what you say, but without Elvis, someone else could have fulfilled the task.

As I posted earlier, a lesser talent wouldn't have had the impact of Elvis, but the breakthrough for black artists could still have happened, albeit on a much smaller scale.

I agree that someone else would have done it BUT would this someone look as good as Elvis? would he be as cool as ELvis? would this person sell more than a billion records like Elvis? would this person make many comebacks like Elvis? I tend to think that it would have been a one hit wonder or someone like perkins who was talented but didn't have as many hits as Elvis,I was thinking that this should be done on a twilight zone episode...do do do do do do do do.....

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:39 am

Delboy wrote:I'd have had a lot more money and some sort of social life!

good assesment. If no Elvis, I too would've saved thousands of dollars over the past 4 decades.

Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:18 am

carolynlm wrote:Sam Phillips is quoted as saying he was looking for someone, and along came Elvis.....that 'someone' could have turned out to be Jerry Lee or Carl Perkins....

Wouldn't have been the same, somehow, would it ?

Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:33 am

Cliff Richard (big brother of Little Richard) said,
"If there's been no ELVIS Presley, they would have been no Beatles
and no Cliff Richard."

Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:00 am

CD King wrote:Cliff Richard (big brother of Little Richard) said,
and no Cliff Richard."

He's right. But, turn the question around, what if Elvis did not die in 77?

Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:38 am

My brain wouldn't be so full of otherwise useless information and great memories! And thank Jesus for understanding.....

Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:16 am

CD King wrote:Cliff Richard (big brother of Little Richard) said,
and no Cliff Richard."

HMMMMMM.........no Elvis = no Cliff Richard.

Therefore.......The advent of Elvis opened the door for Cliff Richard.

Well.........ya gotta take the good with the bad, eh Colin??? :wink:

Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:16 am

We'd all have a lot more time on our hands and our lives would be just a tad less fulfilled.

Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:07 am

What if Elvis never existed?

Wasn't it one of those damn bugs who said, before Elvis, there was nothing?

Does that mean that there still would be nothing? Who would Priscilla have married? Who would Lamar be insulting today? What would Marty Lacker do if he didn't have something to cuss about on the other board? Who would Michael Jackson have married since Lisa doesn't exist? What would have become of Colonel Parker?

What would I do will all of the extra money that I have?

Mind boggling.

Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:29 am

tcb4,
Bite your tongue!! If there were no Elvis, the entire world would be different. If a yellow butterfly in Brazil would have changed the world, how much more would the lack of a man like Elvis?

"Elvis was the only man from Northeast Mississippi who could shake his hips and still be loved by rednecks, cops, and hippies." - Jimmy Buffett

"When I first heard Elvis' voice, I just knew that I wasn't going to work for anybody, and nobody was going to be my boss. He is the deity supreme of rock and roll religion as it exists in today's form. Hearing him for the first time was like busting out of jail. I thank God for Elvis Presley... Elvis recorded a song of mine, that's the one recording I treasure the most" - Bob Dylan

"Before Elvis, there was nothing." - John Lennon

"Before Elvis, everything was in black and white. Then came Elvis. Zoom, glorious Technicolor." - Keith Richards

"No one will ever touch Elvis." - Garth Brooks

"Without Elvis, none of us could have made it" - Buddy Holly

"That Elvis, man, he is all there is. There ain't no more. Everything starts and ends with him. He wrote the book." - Bruce Springsteen

"I wouldn't have admitted it at the time, but I wanted to look and sound like him... If there was no Elvis, there would have been no Cliff Richard." - Cliff Richard
....from Wickipedia

So maybe there would have been no Dylan songs, no Beatles, no Buddy, no Springsteen, no Stones, no Little Richard, no real ROCK! Rock would have been like Disco, something that came and went, with lots of little bits and pieces. We would be different people than we are. The world would be a different place. Actually this is like asking “What if there were no George Washington?” (or no Alexander Hamilton, or no Ben Franklin)
What if there were no George Bush?
sue

Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:56 am

Elvis never existed??

Why, then, Bo Diddley would still reign as the unchallenged King of Rock & Roll :roll:

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:14 pm

More peanut butter for the rest of us!

:lol:

Jules

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:19 pm

I wouldn´t know any of you. (at least virtually)

And maybe I would be typing in the "For Robert Goulet CD Collectors Forum". :shock: