Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis returning to NYC?

Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:41 am

Was there any plans or any word said about Elvis maybe going back to New York City and playing another set of concerts at Madison Square Garden?

Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:32 am

With the shape he was in by 1977, he would have been crucified in NYC.
The Colonel would have never let him near that town in '77. JMO

Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:47 am

As far as I know NO but I absolutely agree with elvis-fan.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:58 am

elvis-fan wrote:With the shape he was in by 1977, he would have been crucified in NYC.

I don't think even Elvis himself would have gone anywhere near NYC in '77...

Re: Elvis returning to NYC?

Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:53 am

Leo wrote:Was there any plans or any word said about Elvis maybe going back to New York City and playing another set of concerts at Madison Square Garden?

There sure were. Elvis was scheduled to play NYC again one year later in June 1973. However, Parker thought that the price that had to be paid to rent MSG was too high. The 4 shows were moved to Uniondale, NY at the Nassau Veteran's Coliseum. Elvis played 4 sold out shows there and then 2 more in July 1975.

So to make a long story short, the 4 shows played in Uniondale in June '73 were originally supposed to be played at MSG.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:58 am

You'll Never walk Alone 8)

Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:34 am

it would've been fantastic for Elvis to have played MSG every year after, does anyone think Elvis would've continually rose to the challenge? or do people think that Elvis would've eventually become bored with the whole thing. i personally think MSG after each year would've given Elvis more enthusiasm to give them a good show, yet again, he might've dried up after time.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:56 am

It would have been more fantastic had he played Sydney year after year!

Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:00 am

.........and Japan, London, Germany, Russia, etc.

I always enjoy thinking of what might have been, but then I get so damned frustrated!
Last edited by Rob on Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:00 am

sydney opera house. now you're talking! :D

Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:35 am

He went to new york in 1972...and he won everyone over,with the 4 sold out shows,glad he never went back.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:54 am

I think it wouldn't have been a good idea to book the MSG again. It was far more clever to stay at the suburbs. He still could give good shows (like Binghampton for example), but not good enough for New York City.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:21 pm

minkahed wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:With the shape he was in by 1977, he would have been crucified in NYC.

Long Island is pretty close to New York City, though... and he was going to play there in August... :wink:

Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:35 pm

Minkahed -

You wrote:

And yet he felt 'good' enough to go on national television ?

Something doesn't add up here, does it ?

Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:50 pm

Maracana, Rio de Janeiro
Morumbi, São Paulo
Estadio Olimpico, Rio Grande do Sul
Mineirao, Minas Gerais
Beira Rio, Rio Grande do Sul

To name a few of the big stadiums here....surely they all would be sold out!

Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:04 pm

Are there soundboards of the other shows he played at MSG?

Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:28 pm

It wasn't the question if Elvis sold out. I'm pretty sure, that he would have sold out MSG again, but I'm not sure if Elvis would have delivered what was expected of him.

And by the way: He wasn't good enough for a tv show, but they did it for the money and maybe the colonel thought Elvis wouldn't live long enough to see the broadcast of the show. I think Parker was one of the very few who realized the state Elvis was in.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:46 pm

dl wrote:It wasn't the question if Elvis sold out. I'm pretty sure, that he would have sold out MSG again, but I'm not sure if Elvis would have delivered what was expected of him.

Well, you just have to listen to the recordings of the New York shows from June 1973 to find out, he definately delivered! The June/July 1973 tour may very well stand as one of the best he ever did!

Sincerely MB280E

Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:14 pm

MB280E wrote:
dl wrote:It wasn't the question if Elvis sold out. I'm pretty sure, that he would have sold out MSG again, but I'm not sure if Elvis would have delivered what was expected of him.

Well, you just have to listen to the recordings of the New York shows from June 1973 to find out, he definately delivered! The June/July 1973 tour may very well stand as one of the best he ever did!

Sincerely MB280E

I think the reason he didn't play Madison SG again in 1973 has something to do with the expense of the venue. In 1972 it was justified by the fact a live album was released off the back of the hype - Elvis' plays New York for the first time since.... In 1973 there would be no live album, not as much hype so not worth the venue expense.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:28 pm

Camp Nou, Barcelona Spain, 120.000 people...

Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:48 pm

It would not have been good for Elvis to have played MSG every year, or any same venue, that would be too routine and Vegas and Tahoe showed us what happens to Elvis' outlook to doing same stuff over and over. you guys are forever saying that Elvis needed challenges and yet you think it would be good to leave him doing the same thing year on year. He needed things spicing up, changing, evolving, new avenues to so many facets in his career. New songwriters from anywhere he wanted, TIME OFF, less physical work and more creative work - quality not quantity.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:08 pm

I meant, that Elvis couldn't live up to his image in 1977! I have listened to some of the 1973 and 1975 shows in Uniondale and of couse he was great! Even the 1977 Binghampton performances where not bad. But in his last two years it was not usual, that Elvis performed on that level.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:41 pm

Steve_M wrote:It would not have been good for Elvis to have played MSG every year, or any same venue, that would be too routine and Vegas and Tahoe showed us what happens to Elvis' outlook to doing same stuff over and over.

There's a big difference between doing month long engagements a couple of times a year in the same venue, playing twice a night and playing in the same arena once or twice a year.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:41 pm

I agree that if Elvis had played MSG in '77 the critics would likely have savaged him. However he did play Chicago in May, so I'm not entirely convinced that they by-passed MSG to avoid scrutiny by the critics. Plus, he was scheduled to play Uniondale in August, which is a relatively short drive from NYC. This, combined with the fact that Elvis played a number of big city major media outlets in '77 (Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia) leads me to believe that it wasn't fear of the critics that kept them from playing MSG.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:52 pm

Matthew wrote:
Steve_M wrote:It would not have been good for Elvis to have played MSG every year, or any same venue, that would be too routine and Vegas and Tahoe showed us what happens to Elvis' outlook to doing same stuff over and over.

There's a big difference between doing month long engagements a couple of times a year in the same venue, playing twice a night and playing in the same arena once or twice a year.

Not really, except the mathematical difference.

I meant Elvis got bored after so long doing the same thing.

films got to him, concerts got to him, certain engagements got to him.

Parker even shortened the tours at the end, it didn't amtter to Elvis what the length was, he was still bored and felt unchallenged, just a case of going through the motions comparativly