Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

We haven't got 1 Elvis soundboard from 1973 on the road ?

Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:30 pm

HI
when are we getting a good clear soundboard from 1973 i love it how ernst comes out and says we are trying to document every vegas show and on tour era

so why haven't we got 1 from 1973 don't you think this is strange

but we get sh*t loads from 1974 ahhh

i would love atlanta 1973 or a show with high energy

what do other guys think

cam

Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:35 pm

who knows what's in the vaults? i say let's sit back and good things will come eventually.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:10 pm

Of course we want a 1973 on tour soundboard! As long as they don´t have any, you can´t expect to get any on FTD, it´s as simple as that really. I´m sure several of the tour shows in 1973 were recorded from the soundboard, these are in private collections and not available for BMG, Ernst or FTD. So, until Ernst & Co get hold of a 1973 soundboard...well, you know what I mean.

Sincerely MB280E

Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:22 pm

Wasn't the quote 'we will document every vegas season and tour we have'?

They have released 2 shows from 1973 so far, 3 from 1974, 3 from 1975, 3 from 1976, 0 from 1977 (1 if you count the Spring Tours CD), 2 from 1969, 2 from 1970, 1 from 1971, 1 from 1972.

So if anything, 1977 is the year lacking from a release, followed by 1971 and 1972.

I still stand my ground that the next FTD should be studio though! :lol:

Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:22 pm

I don't think Ernst has said, or meant that, about trying to do something in that way as in it is a current thing but that its part of the overall intention to one day have each engagement represented via a release.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:04 pm

1977 is not a favourite year plus most of the soundboards from this period are incomplete. Best we can hope for is Spring Tours part 2, as in performances from several shows compiled.

Personally i'd have all multitrack recordings from 1970 and 1972 before another sb. But again who knows what's coming out say 5 or 10 years from now?

Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:18 pm

If they release a soundboard from 1973 I would like to listen to the last concert of the June / July tour. Great tracklisting and the concert is electrifying!

Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:25 pm

Going on the list of soundboards in Tunzi's Elvis Sessions II it appears that BMG don't have any tour shows prior to 1974 in their possession. The 69-73 period are mostly Vegas soundboards, with some 1973 Tahoe recordings. From 74 on it's a mixture of Vegas and tour shows. This agrees with what has been released on soundboard thus far: 69-73 all Vegas and 1 Tahoe, 74-77 both Vegas and tour shows.

I believe Ernst's statement should be interpreted as BMG will release a show from what they have available from each Vegas stand and tour, not that they will release a show from each and every Vegas stand and tour. Availability is the key here.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:44 pm

^Yeah, it's highly unlikely we'll see anything from 1970-71 tours either.

However, FTD's releases generally have so far been really interesting and lots of period's have been covered. Let's see what the future will bring.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:22 pm

Perhaps, in the future, some of the owners of these tapes will reconsider and share the recordings with fellow fans. I hope FTD will cover it all eventually but I guess it's highly unlikely they'll find good quality recordings of very tour / engagement from 1969 to 1977. We'll just have to wait and see - I'm looking forward to all their releases, anyway. In the meantime, I'll track down the new "Pieces of My Life" import, sound quality be damned!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:57 pm

Who's to say that RCA or SONY/BMG hasn't already bought certain tapes/shows from private collectors but is waiting for the right time to release them. Maybe in the proposed 70's box set of live shows on tour that I have suggested a couple of times now.

Just because they say they don't have them doen't mean they are telling the truth.

Say you were RCA or Ernst and someone asked you if you had a lost recording that you actually do have, wouldn't you say no so that you could surprise them with it at a later date? Think about it.

I have a feelin that they have more than they have led us to believe that they have. I think with the 30th anniversary comin up in a couple years that they'll unveil some lost recordings unknown. That's how the companies work.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:10 am

Maybe in the proposed 70's box set of live shows on tour that I have suggested a couple of times now.

It is hard to imagine BMG devoting an entire boxset to live recordings, especially when the lame 'Live In Las Vegas' is still available. They may put together an 'On Tour' boxset, but there aren't enough other non-Las Vegas multi-track tapes and they would never put out a multi-disc set of soundboard recordings outside of the FTD label. Other than a possible 'On Tour' cd release, don't expect another live boxset from the 70s.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:05 am

I suspect, particularly with the 1977 recordings, you are not going to get much more than we already had on Spring Tours. That CD covered the tours of March and April/May, leaving only February, May and June tours. February would be covered by soundboards that most of us already have, although an official collection, possibly a double, containing the February 13,14,16 and 21 shows would be most welcome. As far as I know no soundboards of the May tour have ever surfaced, and as for June - well, it is basically the CBS shows or nowt.

It is very difficult, 30 years down the line, to pull soundboards out of the hat if they do not exist. Much as we would like it, I guess we have to accept that some shows just weren't recorded. This has to be the reason why FTD released an audience recording of Pittsburgh 1976, because if there was any chance of a soundboard recording showing up it would not have been released then. It might seem astonishing to us now why such a momentous show, in many ways a "last hurrah" of the Elvis of old, was not recorded, but that is hindsight for you.

Similarly with Atlanta 1973, we only know they are great shows and should have been recorded because Elvis already gave them.

But personally, I am a sucker for a good quality audience recording, like Indianapolis 1977. That is a cracker, and should be released on FTD as it is, never mind all this searching for a soundboard that may not be there. Put the CD on, turn the volume up, and you really feel like you are in the hall with Elvis. Great stuff.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:08 am

There are a few with collectors still though, but it seems those collectors have no desire to part with them anyway. :cry:

Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:01 am

Stephen Butler wrote:But personally, I am a sucker for a good quality audience recording, like Indianapolis 1977. That is a cracker, and should be released on FTD as it is, never mind all this searching for a soundboard that may not be there. Put the CD on, turn the volume up, and you really feel like you are in the hall with Elvis. Great stuff.

Agreed. Audicence recordings can be quite cool! As for Indy '77, it will happen eventually. Ernst has already bought a high quality audicence recording of that last show. I'm really looking forward to hearing that!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:51 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
Stephen Butler wrote:But personally, I am a sucker for a good quality audience recording, like Indianapolis 1977. That is a cracker, and should be released on FTD as it is, never mind all this searching for a soundboard that may not be there. Put the CD on, turn the volume up, and you really feel like you are in the hall with Elvis. Great stuff.

Agreed. Audicence recordings can be quite cool! As for Indy '77, it will happen eventually. Ernst has already bought a high quality audicence recording of that last show. I'm really looking forward to hearing that!

Keith Richards, Jr.

That´s what I did last saturday. When Elvis sang Hurt it seemed he was in the other side of the street! :shock:

Pittsburgh 76: doesn´t it exist a soundboard of this? I read somewhere it is a poor soundboard but it is a soundboard. Is that true?

Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:45 am

VOC wrote:^Yeah, it's highly unlikely we'll see anything from 1970-71 tours either.

There is a soundboard from '71 released in bootleg, Power Of Shazam! so we know that some of these perfomances were recorded. I wouldn't even be against FTD releasing this show if its all they have.... so the fans can have it!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:38 am

Stephen Butler wrote:
But personally, I am a sucker for a good quality audience recording, like Indianapolis 1977. That is a cracker, and should be released on FTD as it is, never mind all this searching for a soundboard that may not be there. Put the CD on, turn the volume up, and you really feel like you are in the hall with Elvis. Great stuff.

Agree Stephen........Indy '77 is a GREAT audience recording!!! Keith F was kind enough to send it to me along with a few other goodies. I can't get enough of it.
THANKS KEITH!!!!!