Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Video of Elvis singing Are You Lonesome Tonight

Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:19 pm

There is a video of Elvis singing Are You Lonesome Tonight and he is obviously slurring his words during the spoken part of the song and starts mumbling off onto something else. The link to the video is on this website: http://www.linkydinky.com/graceland/
towards the bottom of the page where it says "Elvis Tragic Figure".

Does anyone know what show this was performed at? Was this part of the concerts that are on the Elvis in Concert CBS 1977 special?

Is he really out of it or was he just kidding around which he was known to do sometimes when performing this song? I was just curious. I've always felt sad when I've seen this, but maybe he was just fooling around. He doesn't look good.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:26 pm

Initially, he stumbles over the words, but then starts kidding around too. I don't mind this version really - not as bad as some people think. I think he got distracted when he starts the monologue. He says, " I wonder if you're lonesome tonight", only to have somone scream something from the crowd. He obviously heard, and it breaks his concentration.

Elvis very rarely performed a serious version of this live, and in the show 2 days earlier, did the "gay" routine with Charlie.

The version you saw was filmed in Rapid City, June 21st 1977, and was indeed filmed for the CBS special.

Believe it or not, he looked much better in Rapid City than he did in Omaha.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:31 pm

I think in Rapid City it was supposed to be funny, in Omaha he really goofed up this song.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:06 pm

DarrylMac wrote:I think he got distracted when he starts the monologue. He says, " I wonder if you're lonesome tonight", only to have somone scream something from the crowd. He obviously heard, and it breaks his concentration.

Elvis very rarely performed a serious version of this live, and in the show 2 days earlier, did the "gay" routine with Charlie.

The version you saw was filmed in Rapid City, June 21st 1977, and was indeed filmed for the CBS special.

Thank you both for getting back to me. I've always wondered about this video. I agree with you and think he got distraced. He asks, "Are You Lonesome tonight?" and someone screams, "Yeah".

What was the "gay routine" that he did with Charlie? Are any of these on any cds?

Wow, if he looked much better in Rapid City than Omaha, he must have really been feeling ill. I still can't believe those around him didn't see it.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:06 pm

Sambo wrote:
DarrylMac wrote:I think he got distracted when he starts the monologue. He says, " I wonder if you're lonesome tonight", only to have somone scream something from the crowd. He obviously heard, and it breaks his concentration.

Thank you both for getting back to me. I've always wondered about this video. I agree with you and think he got distraced. He asks, "Are You Lonesome tonight?" and someone screams, "Yeah".

What was the "gay routine" that he did with Charlie? Are any of these on any cds?

Wow, if he looked much better in Rapid City than Omaha, he must have really been feeling ill. I still can't believe those around him didn't see it.

I'm sure everybody saw it - you'd have to be deaf and blind not to have. However for whatever reason everybody seems to have been powerless to do anything about it (or too afraid to try).

Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:30 am

BigredG

It seems that people genuinely didn't see it. There's an interview with MYrna, where she says Jerry Schilling called her to ask how it had gone, how he looked, and she had replied that she thought he looked great, that he'd lost some weight.

Only when she saw he CBS show did the truth hit home.

When you see somone a lot, you can miss the signs more than when you haven't seen them for ages.

It's easy for us in hindsight to say they should have seen what was going on, but I think if you were caught up in it at the time, it was a tough situation.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:36 am

DarrylMac wrote:Believe it or not, he looked much better in Rapid City than he did in Omaha.

For sure.

Off topic of this topic but I recall someone once told me that the laughing version from 1969 were from his very last concert. The only stupid words I heard were: "Renan, look how this guy needed help...he doesn´t know the lyrics and he just laughs!" :evil: :evil: :evil:

Of course I counted until three otherwise I would have hit his nose :lol:

Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:05 am

DarrylMac wrote:BigredG

It seems that people genuinely didn't see it. There's an interview with MYrna, where she says Jerry Schilling called her to ask how it had gone, how he looked, and she had replied that she thought he looked great, that he'd lost some weight.

Only when she saw he CBS show did the truth hit home.

When you see somone a lot, you can miss the signs more than when you haven't seen them for ages.

It's easy for us in hindsight to say they should have seen what was going on, but I think if you were caught up in it at the time, it was a tough situation.

Well, that's true. When you see someone day after day, you get use to the way they look and act and you don't notice it; you become familiar with the way they behave and except it as normal.

I also wonder if they might have seen it and knew they couldn't do anything about it because bottom line, it was his life and his decisions to take all those drugs.