Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Mystery Train - June 27, 1968 suggestion?

Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:51 am

I am at work and I have a stack of MP3s on my laptop : just playing a version of Baby What You Want Me To do from June 27, 1968 6pm show (running time is 3:59 min, not sure which version). Does it sound like to you Charlie suggests Mystery Train about 5-10 seconds after this song's finale?
Urrh, urrh, urr help!

Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:32 am

Yeah, I think he does! That's funny, I just noticed that the other night as I was listening to the Memories CD with headphones. I wish he had listened to Charlie because that would have been perfect song for him to sing at that moment.

Re: Mystery Train - June 27, 1968 suggestion?

Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:52 pm

Jim Dandy wrote:... a version of Baby What You Want Me To do from June 27, 1968 6pm show (running time is 3:59 min, not sure which version). Does it sound like to you Charlie suggests Mystery Train about 5-10 seconds after this song's finale?

It's the last performance of the Jimmy Reed classic for that show, and the finest of all the thrilling renditions Elvis recorded at NBC. Assuming the request for "Mystery Train" comes from the "Little Theater," it's Alan Fortas making the call.

However, after the next number, an astounding version of "One Night," Charlie does cry out for "I Got A Woman."

DJC

Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:31 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Charlie does cry out for "I Got A Woman."

Perhaps Charlie was announcing that he was going to attempt a lifestyle change? :lol:

It's strange that on the recording that was made during rehearsals in Elvis' dressing room, the song Mystery Train wasn't gone over. Maybe he did earlier or later?

Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:01 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote:... a version of Baby What You Want Me To do from June 27, 1968 6pm show (running time is 3:59 min, not sure which version). Does it sound like to you Charlie suggests Mystery Train about 5-10 seconds after this song's finale?

It's the last performance of the Jimmy Reed classic for that show, and the finest of all the thrilling renditions Elvis recorded at NBC. Assuming the request for "Mystery Train" comes from the "Little Theater," it's Alan Fortas making the call.

However, after the next number, an astounding version of "One Night," Charlie does cry out for "I Got A Woman."

DJC

Hi Doc !!

How are doing...where have you been ..??
Nice to have you back..!!

Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:09 am

Hi Doc,
as ciscoking said.
Great to have you back 8)

Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:10 pm

Big Boss Man wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Charlie does cry out for "I Got A Woman."

Perhaps Charlie was announcing that he was going to attempt a lifestyle change? :lol:

Nobody knows.

Eileen

Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:20 pm

I wish Elvis could have done a version of I´m Coming Home......his voice was asking for this song. :D

Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:19 pm

Renan wrote:I wish Elvis could have done a version of I´m Coming Home......his voice was asking for this song. :D

Given the astonishing, blues-drenched rock of these sit down performances, a Charlie Rich pop tune might've been a somewhat odd choice. It's a shame "When It Rains, It Really Pours" or "I Got A Woman" didn't make it from backstage rehearsals to the "Little Theater."

DJC