Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Way Down and beyond

Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:24 am

Here is an interesting question? What do you think Elvis would have done after Way Down had he lived? Someone once told me that he planned on redoing all of his 50's hits. Any truth to that? If you listen to Way down, there is that sence of awww. Maybe Elvis was on his way to a good rebound and go back to rock n roll. Only one problem..he died..

Thoughts

Mark
from Vegas

Re: Way Down and beyond

Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:46 am

Elvisman77 wrote:Someone once told me that he planned on redoing all of his 50's hits.

I seriously doubt it. He hated doing them on stage. Even worse, he hated going to a recording studio in later years. There's no way he would have done both.

Re: Way Down and beyond

Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:49 am

Elvisman77 wrote:Here is an interesting question? What do you think Elvis would have done after Way Down had he lived? Someone once told me that he planned on redoing all of his 50's hits. Any truth to that? If you listen to Way down, there is that sence of awww. Maybe Elvis was on his way to a good rebound and go back to rock n roll. Only one problem..he died..

Thoughts

Mark
from Vegas

sadly, had he lived , I think he probably would have continued with the strenous act of constant touring, when in reality, he needed to rest his mind, body and soul...

Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:31 am

I think he would have continued with his lifestyle, he wasn't the guy to change his ways. It's sad, but true.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:17 am

if only Elvis had gone in to the recording studio in january 77 to record the songs he planned

by day by day
rainy night in georgia
energy
thats what u do to me
let me on
yes i do

these six songs and the others recorded in october 76 left over, would've made Elvis's best album in years! these songs are such a change of pace, and so refreshing. Elvis would've had a real hit with these songs

Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:01 pm

And according to Steve Earle, Elvis wanted to record his song "Mustang Wine" at the Jan 77 session. And it´s not impossible he would have added vocals to "Fire Down Below".
Of course, we´ll never know what songs he would have done if he had gone to the studio that day, but those songs (elvisjnr´s) were on the list.
It does seem that he (briefly, at least) wanted to do a more rock/blues-type album. Guess he selected the songs when he was still feeling good, around the time of the late December ´76 tour, perhaps...

As for re-recording his old hits, maybe Parker and RCA wanted him to do that, but can you imagine A) first getting Elvis to the studio and then B) have him record Hound Dog and Teddy Bear, in 1977?

Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:08 pm

i would've rathered that if Elvis WERE to record songs like 'hound dog' from the 50s in to more modern versions, he do it like it was done in his MSG shows, the funk kind of version. i would've liked for E to do the rejected hits like 'too much', 'tryin to get to you', 'my baby left me', and heaps of others that were re-introduced in the 70s on a 'old hits redone' album, except 'too much' which i think, was never even performed live. but if you get my point, those songs still sounded contemporary without being in the same group as 'teddy bear'.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:26 pm

I always thought it odd that despite being under contract Elvis was allowed to cancel sessions and was never pulled up to his contractual obligations. RCA should have from time to time said 'you have to record, you're under contract'.

What results this would have yealded in the studio is anyones guess but such a kick up the backside might have been what Elvis needed to get his career priorities straight.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:30 pm

Anyone else, possibly. However, you're talking about Elvis here.

No one was about to try anything like that. I'm sure there would have been many other labels that would have gladly signed him if he had chosen to leave RCA. They were well aware of that.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:49 pm

Rob wrote:Anyone else, possibly. However, you're talking about Elvis here.

No one was about to try anything like that. I'm sure there would have been many other labels that would have gladly signed him if he had chosen to leave RCA. They were well aware of that.

Mmm, but this is the same Elvis that did stick to his movie contracts, recorded all that rubbish in the 60s. Come the mid-70s his records weren't selling - RCA should have taken some responsibilty for their artist, after all they already owned the rights to his recordings prior to 1972 (?).

The other side of it that RCA should really have changed their release policy to match the times. 3 albums a year was not normal in the 70s, can you imagine if Elvis had to put out say 1 album a year or even every 18 months or so. It's likely the overall quality of the albums would be higher as they would pick the best of the sessions rather than release everything put on tape. There may be a few more 'classic' albums (by this I mean classic in general consideration, not classic as considered by fans only) in the catalogue.

A better album would sell more units rather than 2 or 3 bad/average albums selling little. Seems simple now, makes you wonder about the mentality of those in charge at the time.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:27 pm

Focusing on the 70s and going on the sessions that took place the policy in my opinion should have produced the following:

Nashville 1970:

Elvis Country should have been the only major release from these session although it would come out in early 1971. That’s The Way It Is would have been the major 1970 release due to the movie. Love Letters From Elvis should never have seen the light of day. Feb 1970 On Stage is released as it came out.

Nashville 1971:

He Touched Me should have been the major release from these sessions, Elvis Country would have come out early this year anyway. The Christmas album….well, personally I don’t like it but it would have only been a seasonal bonus release in my opinion. I actually believe this Christmas album hung over the sessions which could have been way more productive if Elvis didn’t have to record it. Elvis Now should never have been released.

Hollywood 1972:

Standing Room Only should have been released as planned. This would have been a strong album in my opinion. It’s easy to say that more studio tracks should have been laid down but this didn’t happen. Madison Square Garden could still have been released due to the nature of the occasion but really as a bonus release that year.

Memphis 1973:

Raised On Rock sessions should have been shelved and only singles released from the session. The December sessions should have produced a single album in my opinion. Everyone would have their opinion on a track listing for this, mine would be (in no particular order):

Promised Land
It’s Midnight
If You Talk In Your Sleep
You Asked Me To
Lovin’ Arms
Talk About The Good Times
Good Time Charlie’s Got The Blues
My Boy
If That Isn’t Love
Help Me
I Got A Feeling In My Body
There’s A Honky Tonk Angel

Obviously this would be released in early 1974 and would mark the major release for that year. Live In Memphis is shelved. This leaves 1973 with only the Aloha show to mark that year however I think this would have been fine IF 1974 had produced another set of studio tracks for release towards the end of 1974.

Hollywood 1975

Well, there was only ever enough for one album: Today. I like this album anyway and nothing can really be changed about this.

Memphis 1976

Not a lot to change about this one, From EP Boulevard contains most of the tracks from the Feb session.

Again, not a lot can be changed about this. Moody Blue was released with what was available. Naturally if the Jan 77 sessions had taken place Moody Blue would be a completely different album.

Many would argue about all the songs not released from the various sessions. I would say that the best of these would have come out as stand alone singles. Others would have formed the basis for the box sets released over the years – how many NEW unreleased songs would we have drooled over!?

Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:12 pm

After August 77 I would see like this. Elvis would never stop a year to rest. He´d probably take two or three months and that´s all.

Songs to record? Who knows but I think we have a list where Elvis was about to try The Fool and Hey Jude in August 77 isn´t it?? There are others.

January 77 sessions were cancelled and I don´t see Elvis recording in 1977 but only in 1978 forced by RCA. Just like it happened in 1974 / 1975.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:39 am

Believing of course he'd have changed his lifestyle. The obivious transition would have been country music. The movie "Urban Cowboy" changed everything and honky tonk ballads were right up his alley. T-R-O-B-L-E was a perfect example of being ahead of things. Hell, he learned enough from playing the "Eagles Nest" in Memphis and Texas gigs to know the necessary feel for barroom jukeboxes.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:41 am

Sorry....that's T-R-O-U-B-L-E......

Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:42 am

Ricky wrote:Sorry....that's T-R-O-U-B-L-E......

You know you could have edited it.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:54 am

Matthew wrote:
Rob wrote:Anyone else, possibly. However, you're talking about Elvis here.

Mmm, but this is the same Elvis that did stick to his movie contracts, recorded all that rubbish in the 60s.

Sure is. However, you know as well as I do that there was a big difference between the 1960's movies Elvis and the January 1977 Elvis.

In the 60's he still cared. He wanted to do more. By 1977 this was not the case. If he didn't want to do something, he was not going to do it. Had RCA made any demands on him to record, I don't think it would have mattered to him at all. At the very least, he would have again told them, you want me to record? Then you come to me.

At least we may have had more Jungle Room sessions.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:15 am

Didn´t they set up a session at Graceland sometime after the cancelled January sessions? I think Elvis just walked in and said the sound was crap, and that was it! If I remember correctly, this happened just before the start of the February tour. So, at least they tried...

Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:14 pm

^Yeah, that's basically what happened. Studio equipment was brought out but Elvis had no intention to record.

By the time Elvis died they had basically given up and there was no sessions planned.

I think they would have eventually recorded in Graceland again, cut maybe 3 or 4 songs, rest from tour if they wanted a full album. Just like Moody Blue. I don't think anything would have changed, what happened to Elvis was inevitable.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:31 pm

I guess that if he hadn't exhausted himself to his death that he would have become too weak to tour anymore which could have led to him going on hiatus for an extended period of time and mabye attemting a comeback later on. I would expect his spending habits would remain and he would have to work somehow...maybe this would have pushed him to record again.

Or....and this had just popped into my head so forgive me!! Think about this for a second.....it's the late 70s......

Elvis stars in his own TV cop show ala TJ Hooker!!! :lol:

Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:47 pm

In Elvis' condition a tv show wasn't even to be considered. The former king could hardly manage to stay on his feet for a single hour. C'mon.

But if Elvis would have been forced somehow to dry out and getting his life under control, I guess he would have been able to stage a grand comeback. I guess he would continued to record ballads, country and gospel. His voice was excellent at that time, so I guess a lot of great music could have been recorded.

If only RCA would have forced him to fulfill his contracs or simply fire him for not doing so. And if only the fans would have stopped clapping to each bad performance and laughing at every silly joke. The should have booed him off the stage. That would have shocked him the most, because he lived for his fans. But it never happened and I guess Elvis really thought that everything was ok as long as the audiences kept coming to his shows.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:03 pm

RCA should have from time to time said 'you have to record, you're under contract'.
The only time they did this ( I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong!) was for the July '73 Stax sessions, when Elvis was told he was going to record after finishing a tour. He was allowed to choose where he wanted to record, and chose Stax not because of an affinity with the legendary Memphis venue but because it meant he didn't have to leave home. A couple of tracks excepted, we all know how successful & cheerful these sesssions turned out, and RCA didn't try directing Elvis again.