Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Favorite Bass Playing On An Elvis Record

Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:05 am

GENTLE ON MY MIND has beautiful bass melody driving the song all the way to the end.The bass was overdubbed by Tommy Cogbill in 1969. Excellent!

Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:33 am

I think no one could match Jerry playing POLK SALAD ANNIE!

Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:01 am

Burning love - the grooviest bass line on an Elvis song.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:03 pm

Yeah, Burning Love is the one! The best bass line ever!

Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:11 pm

The bass playing on Im Movin On from Memphis takes some beating - awesome!

Also, some of Jerry's playing on the Aug 70 versions of Suspicious Minds is pretty wild!

Re: Favorite Bass Playing On An Elvis Record

Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:58 pm

JLGB wrote:GENTLE ON MY MIND has beautiful bass melody driving the song all the way to the end.The bass was overdubbed by Tommy Cogbill in 1969. Excellent!

Cogbill (bass) and Chrisman (drums) may be the finest rhythm section Elvis ever recorded with. Every song they made Presley in January and February 1969 shines. Emory Gordy's March 1972 bass playing on "Burning Love" is along the same lines, and also tremendous.

DJC

Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:17 pm

Bass intro for me would be Baby I Don't Care played by Elvis.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:27 pm

The candidates already listed by others in this thread are all excellent choices!

I guess my top 3 would have to be (in no particularly order, although I'm very partial to Burning Love...):

Gentle On My Mind Tommy Cogbill
Burning Love Emory Gordy
Polk Salad Annie Jerry Scheff

Br
Kristian

Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:10 pm

We should not forget "Only the strong survive" and "Wearin' that loved on look"

Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:01 pm

Polk Salad Annie from Diexieland Rocks is wild!

I´ve Lost You live version also have a good bass. Fever is very nice but I have to agree with DarrylMac regarding I´m Moving On ´cause we have such a great job done here.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:28 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JLGB wrote:GENTLE ON MY MIND has beautiful bass melody driving the song all the way to the end.The bass was overdubbed by Tommy Cogbill in 1969. Excellent!

Cogbill (bass) and Chrisman (drums) may be the finest rhythm section Elvis ever recorded with. Every song they made Presley in January and February 1969 shines. Emory Gordy's March 1972 bass playing on "Burning Love" is along the same lines, and also tremendous.

DJC
Emory Gordy said in an interview that he was embarassed of his playing (Burning Love) because the song was finished before he felt he was ready. Excellent in spite of that!

Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:37 pm

My votes would have to be burning love..polk..baby I don't care
later Elton

Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:52 pm

JLGB wrote:Emory Gordy said in an interview that he was embarassed of his playing (Burning Love) because the song was finished before he felt he was ready. Excellent in spite of that!

He's not the first to say that. Seems to me that just about every musician who worked with EP felt that way about some of their contributions! I think it was Putman who once said that he and the other guys had to trick Elvis into doing more takes of certain songs.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:27 pm

Stranger In My Own Home Town from American Sound ´69.

Sincerely MB280E

Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:05 pm

Why is everyone ignoring the 50's.
Check out the bass on:

Heartbreak hotel
Baby let's play house
I got stung
My baby left me.
Good rockin tonight. slap that bass

and there is some nice bass work on many of the 60's soundtrack recordings too.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:22 pm

And don't forget that Bob Moore did some fantastic bass work on the early 60's Nashville sessions. The standouts to me are "Stuck On You" and "Little Sister".

Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:39 pm

Mike Leech bass on SUSPICIOUS MINDS. Tommy Cogbill's great bass playing on RUBBERNECKIN' was sadly replaced (or covered over) on the remix version.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:48 pm

ekenee wrote:Why is everyone ignoring the 50's.
Check out the bass on:

Heartbreak hotel
Baby let's play house
I got stung
My baby left me.
Good rockin tonight. slap that bass

and there is some nice bass work on many of the 60's soundtrack recordings too.
ANYPLACE IS PARADISE ! Bill Black 8)

Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:51 pm

Lets face it, everything from the 69 Memphis session was incredible, that's why it needs to be pushed and released.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:11 pm

Renan wrote:Polk Salad Annie from Diexieland Rocks is wild!

Man you are so right - that Polk Salad Annie bass is amazing - so up front too.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:12 pm

I play some bass myself so this subject is near and dear to me.

Mr. Scheff is great on the MSG version of Polk also. I agree Elvis is rushing the tempo by that time, but that bass solo is just killer stuff. One of the things I loved most about the EP25 anniversary Memphis concert was the opening up of song arrangement in order to allow such solo's. What great sidemen Elvis had.

I also love most of the slap bass lines in the Sun material. Who needs drums with that great clickety-clack slapping in glorious sun echo.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:29 pm

I guess it would be between Baby, Let's Play House and Mystery Train.

Those electric bass things never captured that tickety-tick sound that Bill Black got out of that stand-up job !

Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:07 am

Thanks everyone for your input. And the next time you listen to Gentle On My Mind, try to concentrate on the Bass. Amazing! :)

Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:43 am

Way Down and Polk Salad Annie are the ones that stand out in my mind.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:15 am

BIA wrote:I play some bass myself so this subject is near and dear to me.

Mr. Scheff is great on the MSG version of Polk also. I agree Elvis is rushing the tempo by that time, but that bass solo is just killer stuff. One of the things I loved most about the EP25 anniversary Memphis concert was the opening up of song arrangement in order to allow such solo's. What great sidemen Elvis had.

I also love most of the slap bass lines in the Sun material. Who needs drums with that great clickety-clack slapping in glorious sun echo.

Ah, The great ole SUN material...

Good Rockin' Tonight anyone :?: :wink: