Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis Up-Close with a up close observation about this set

Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:56 am

I feel this Elvis box set is the begining of new Close Up series.
I'm thinking the next box set will come out 2004 and it will be call
Close Up 2
It will focus on other aspects of Elvis' career

Disc 1: more unreleased material from the Fifties
Disc 2: Follow That Dream, Kid Galahad,Girls Girls Girls, It Happens at The Worlds Fair Out-takes.
Disc 3: Out-takes from 68 Comeback and The Memphis Session
Disc 4: Elvis Rehearsals in the 70's

That's my prediction.
I think the reason why they didn't do another Box set with alternative version form 54-76... It would look like another Elvis Today, Tomorrow, and Forever...

This is my sugestion for whats should be on the Disc...you may have your own opinion :wink:
Last edited by Justintoelvis on Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:46 am

Interesting observation Steve, but I think it may be difficult to use a bunch of alternates from It Happened at the World's Fair, since so many were recently used on the FTD re-release of the soundtrack album. About the only essentail one I can think of is Happy Ending Take 9, which was mysteriously left off the FTD CD, even though the inside booklet noted it was selected as the take to be used on the first version of the album.

Mike C

Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:17 am

I'm glad you like the post. So maybe we should pick 4 movies in a row that hasn't had any attention on Disc 2, such as Hurum Scarum, Frankie and Johnny, Paradise Hawaiian Style, and Spinout Out-takes.

Disc 3: We can make it a whole concert of Elvis in 69
Disc 4: Stax Studio Out-takes

Just a thought

Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:07 am

justin, very very good post and an even better idea. that would be great if bmg/heritage did that. you have to remember alot of fans here in the usa don't get the ftd cds, and they could also put the missing time life collection songs out also. it reminds me of the legendary performer series from years back. rock on, simmer :roll:

Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:16 am

Justin wrote:I'm glad you like the post. So maybe we should pick 4 movies in a row that hasn't had any attention on Disc 2, such as Hurum Scarum, Frankie and Johnny, Paradise Hawaiian Style, and Spinout Out-takes.

Boy, no offense intended, but that would be one dreadfully boring Disc 2.

I don't suspect BMG will be milking the movie outtakes anywhere else except on FTD.

BTW, the version of "Treat Me Nice" on Close Up is definitely from the first day of the Jailhouse Rock sessions, 30 April 1957.

Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:47 am

Dr. John:
Yes, you are correct about the dating on Treat Me Nice. They played a bit of it on QVC Thursday - the 4/30 take begins with an electrified introduction by Scotty. Sounds great.

Mike C

Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:38 am

John, You make some since about the FTD should only release
The out-takes of Movie Soundtracks to the fans.... But Up-Close
has a cool thing going on with the first 4 movie he did in the sixties.
So we can guess how many in a series that Up-Close will have by
basing on 4 movies in the 60's on disc 2. Then There will be 7 volumes in total. 2010 will be the last year for The Up-Close series...
you follow me?

Again This is wishful thinking.... But what other Ideas on Box sets
can you think of? We did the 50's,60's,70's,gold, silver,Platinum,Vegas years,The Complete Gospel Recordings, TT&F,and TTWII...

Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:43 am

Close Up

Close Up

Close Up

sorry... i keep forgeting the correct title :roll:

Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:03 pm

Remember, next year will be the 50th anniversary of Elvis' first recording.

They could do a box set around that theme.

Maybe a career overview in a different way. Not a song from each year of Elvis' recording career, but a disc representing each phase of his career.

Sun sides and 50's songs
Gospel recordings
movies & 60's Nashville recordings
Live 70's and studio 70's

Just thoughts off the top off my head.

RKS

Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:28 pm

It’s no co-incidence that the “Close Up” set focuses on Elvis’ first four movie soundtracks of the ‘60’s, because in most cases the quality of this material was superior to what was to follow. There’s no way Ernst would release a full disc of out takes from weaker soundtracks such as “Harum Scarum”, “Frankie and Johnny”, “Spinout” or “Paradise Hawaiian Style” on a commercially released collection. Surely the best outlet for this type of material is FTD.

For me the best way BMG can commemorate the 50th anniversary of the release of “That’s All Right Mama” is to issue a comprehensive collection of the Sun era material that has been issued to date, and as it appears that BMG may now have another previously un-issued Sun acetate in their possession, I think the release of such a collection seems likely.

Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:55 pm

I believe you are right about the 50 anniversary Box set. As I look back on what came out in '94 That gave Elvis recognition of his 40 years in music? To me, It wasn't a wide variety of music. In '94. Here are the CD's that came out that year:
Elvis EVERYDAY WAS LIKE CHRISTMAS, AMAZING GRACE , ELVIS GOLDEN RECORDS,VOL.1-4, DOUBLE FEATURES:KISSIN' COUSINS / CLAMBAKE/ STAY AWAY,JOE,
DOUBLE FEATURES: SPINOUT / DOUBLE TROUBLE, DOUBLE FEATURES:
FRANKIE AND JOHNNY/ PARADISE,HAWAIIAN STYLE.

I Think every thing you can find on imports past or present will be added on future releases on the box sets, essential volumes, and FTD's. At the same time you'll get better sound so collectors won't feel like they are cheated out. The fact how CD's are more popular now then 94 and the fact that Elvis is now bringing out new fans I think every year for the next 10 or 15 years we should see a generous amount of new releases on Elvis.