Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:10 pm

Don't forget the Double take effect young Elvis has on people and youngsters in particular.

I was in a retail DIY departement store this morning and the large Official Elvis Calender was on a display rack with Eminem...Guess which will catch the eye of many youngsters...by surprise!

A beautiful image of Elvis 1957 of course.

I've no problem with the later Elvis image. I'm a much later me :-)

Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:19 pm

I think the marketing guys have done well to get away from the Elvis stereotype of a bloated and suited rock star.

Those 1950's images are stunning - good place to start. Well done to the marketing guys!

Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:08 am

Renan and Marcos Aurelio,
You are RIGHT!!!

Rob,
When I posted, my post was right after yours, but I wasn't answering your post. You and two people got between TJ and my post. I never saw so much action so fast. I should have done a quote, then there would be no confusion. I didn't mean you thought that there was anything wrong with the jumpsuits which are probably worn for Halloween!!
sue

Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:28 am

I am posting this because I want to make sure Rob sees it and knows that I was NOT disagreeing with HIM!! I almost never disagree with Rob even though he does have kind of conservative views - and I am a true liberal, as you can all tell. I kind of like Kerry, but you shouldn't hold that against me!! You could hold some of his millions - from the Heinz fortune - next to me (well in my purse, which is next to me).
sue

Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:32 am

Sue,
You are RIGHT!!
sue

No one else will say it, so I will!! Gosh, 3 posts in a row!! This is getting ridiculous!!

Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:57 pm

silver wrote:I almost never disagree with Rob

Thank you.
Kind of made me feel warm and fuzzy all over.

Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:42 pm

Lakeisha wrote:Anyone ever watched I Love The 70's on VH-1? You will see images of Elvis during the entire decade without seein him. Fromthe lambchop sideburns to the jumpsuits. They all ripped him off and all of the artist, pop/rock/rnb and country copied his style. Elvis set the style trend for the whole decade.

For instance, Elvis came back to live performing and wearing the jumpsuits, sporting large sideburns, and huge bellbottom pants before the Jackson 5, Donnie And Marie, The Bee Gees, The Commadores, Sly And The Family Stone, James Brown, Elton John and others did. Even KISS wore a jumpsuit, similar to Elvis Gypsy suit. And they were idols to young teen girls. All of those acts began to sport the rhignstone jumpsuit look that Elvis had. KC and The Sunshine Band literally ripped off the Aloha Vegas Elvis the most. Even had a cape. I heard Elvis hated that.

Today, female artist are sporting the Elvis look in music and fashion. Beyonce, Mariah, Britney and Ashanti have all sported the high collar, white suit with open V' chest and bellbottoms in either concerts or videos. And they all seem to be hip and cool. So what's the difference? Elvis started the fad and kids today know that. That's no secret.

It's not the Elvis 70's jumpsuit that is ridiculed with jokes. It's the 77 image of overweight dying Elvis that is seen the most and as a "hasbeen". Not the youthfull 70-73 image of TTWII and EOT to the gorgeous Aloha look. He looked like a Greek God then. :)

BTW, I have a pair of bellbottom pants. Theya re back instyle today.

Excellent post Lakeisha!

Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:44 pm

Rob wrote:Kind of made me feel warm and fuzzy.

You mean like Elvis Girl with a sunburn? :lol: :lol: :lol:
sue

Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:25 pm

When I showed Comeback Special 68, That's the way it is, Aloha from Hawaii to my friends, most said he was the coolest and the best in Aloha.

how could

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:03 pm

.... What brand cigarettes do your friends smoke, Denman!???

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:06 pm

Ger the hair! what do you think? Is it too late or what. I think your books is good PR for E as well!

how could

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:12 pm

... Too late for what, cd collector ?

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:16 pm

Now I think you are smoking, be carefull with fire, and your hair!

Promoting Elvis... its the topic!?

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:39 pm

Well the reality at the moment is the young Elvis image is the one being used (At last!)

If it does not work we will be back to the mutton chops:-(

But methinks young people seeing more of the young cool Elvis will make a significant difference. We will see soon enough anyway.

Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:59 am

"Elvis in Concert" was really the killer for the image of the '70s Elvis. There is a big difference between that and the '72 Elvis. Though, Lakeisha made an excellent point about the hypocrisy of criticizing Elvis for his outlandish stage wear in the '70s when that was basically the order of the day. Some acts elected to wear t-shirts but looking like a slob doesn't make your music any more authentic. What's sad is that so many people don't even review a product just the consensus that they've heard.

I disagree with a duet or remix or remakes album. As Jules pointed out you're really creating fans for the new production rather than the original music which to me does not need to be dressed up. If a remakes thing were done it would be important to stay close to Elvis' base, so hearing the real thing wouldn't be so much of a shock. Also, it's no disgrace to have to come to a song a little bit and for Elvis in comparison to say Miles Davis, it's not that big a journey.

I also don't think we should reasonably expect or care that Elvis sells X-million every year forever and ever. The point is keeping heard by the people who care about vernacular music and maybe a little beyond that point. Because Elvis sang the way he did his music will always resonate somewhere.

As for now, BMG should spend some money and spend it wisely. Do in-store displays. Put out an album like the deluxe "Elvis is Back" in stores and online and advertise it on TV with a string of great reviews. When you hear a publication is making a list of great albums send over Elvis' 10 best. When he's not on the list, write in to complain. (Fans can do this to but if a BMG exec does it there is a better chance of getting in. ) Contribute resources to projects like documentaries and also projects that link Elvis to other artists and music. Make his link to the whole of American popular music EXPLICIT.

They should also keep doing the things that they are doing right like licensing Elvis' tracks for movies. This is such a valuable tool. If you think of the most popular vintage tracks, most of them have been given a boost in popularity by recent movies. When I listened to my local oldies' station's annual top oldies of all-time listing, the list was dominated by songs featured in movies. "Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers was a very popular track but it generally finished around #100 or so before it was in "Ghost" every year after that, it was #1. I used to often frequent a local night club and one of the most popular songs of the early '80s was "Come on Eileen". It was played every night to massive singalong. This was a #1 hit when it came out back in '83 but it wasn't nearly so big as say "Billie Jean" and "When Doves Cry" or any bigger than any of the other #1 or #2 hits from the same era that didn't get played. The difference was "Eileen" was featured prominently in a popular recent movie- I think Tommy Boy.

One thing they haven't been doing that they should be doing is slapping stickers on the releases letting audiences know this is where they can find the song. "Contains 'Suspicious Minds' as featured in ....

Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:33 pm

An excellent post LTB. I couldn't agree more.

Clear thought and rationale, there are people on this board who could learn a lot about considered responses to keeping the Elvis flame burning in an appropriate manner. Not least EPE themselves.

If I wanted to labour any of the points you made so eloquently, it would be to say it's about the music.

A second thing occurs. Realistically I think, somewhere along the line Elvis transcended music and made it into our lives as a member of the family, it is rather amazing.

I suspect that's why we have Kate Bush, ETA, What's your favourite...? Etc, threads, they betray a need to 'own' is probably the wrong word, but share the unique insight, that only you can bring, because only you know Elvis, and only you know what's best for his future.

It's actually rather sweet.

Geoff

Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:27 pm

If I wanted to labour any of the points you made so eloquently, it would be to say it's about the music.

Geoff[/quote]

[size=18]Speaking of the music--the new Shop Elvis catalog arrived in my mailbox yesterday, packed full of some of the most embarrassingly stupid junk that Elvis' face and name could be applied to.

I had to go through the whole dumb thing twice, but I did finally find some CDs in there--two as a matter of fact--Elvis by the Presleys and All Shook Up.

Perhaps somewhere on the rear cover--for those who make it that far--they could print, "ELVIS ALSO RECORDED SOME MUSIC."

A good place to begin promoting Elvis would be for the company that bears his name to recognize that he was first and formost the greatest recording artist of all time.

And not the model for a stupid duck!!!!

Terry
[/size]

Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:19 pm

The fact Elvis's image is all over our shops recently just mirrors the 50s promotions which did nothing to stop his ascent:-)

It was Elvis's voice first and foremost that attracted me to his music and I have to laugh at those who have trouble with ducks and impersonators as if they would affect someones musical taste.

Beethoven the dog movies do nothing to demean Ludwig Van Beethoven's fantastic music for those that appreciate it. I remember cringing hearing Beethoven's lovely "Fur Elise" piano piece being used in an advertisement for something nothing to do with music...but I was young then:-)

The enormously talented Kate Bush was much younger too.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:03 pm

likethebike wrote:

I also don't think we should reasonably expect or care that Elvis sells X-million every year forever and ever. The point is keeping heard by the people who care about vernacular music and maybe a little beyond that point. Because Elvis sang the way he did his music will always resonate somewhere.

As for now, BMG should spend some money and spend it wisely. Do in-store displays. Put out an album like the deluxe "Elvis is Back" in stores and online and advertise it on TV with a string of great reviews. When you hear a publication is making a list of great albums send over Elvis' 10 best. When he's not on the list, write in to complain. (Fans can do this to but if a BMG exec does it there is a better chance of getting in. ) Contribute resources to projects like documentaries and also projects that link Elvis to other artists and music. Make his link to the whole of American popular music EXPLICIT.

Amen!

Those who continually buy or at least justify repackagings like
"Christmas Peace" and "Love, Elvis" deserve 20 lashings ...

LTB is right: BMG ought to cater to tending the "Elvis garden" (the
EP catalog) like the Beatles, Dylan, Stones, etc. and stop flogging the horse
for one more go-'round..

It's not fooling anyone and its frankly
embarrassing as even non-fans and critics (see HITSTORY) commonly bemoan "yet another Elvis repackaging."

Get with it, "Strategic Marketers"...!

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... highlight=

:evil:

Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:33 pm

Trouble is the guys at BMG are not reading this message board and I do not come across anything about, "Elvis is Back", and Elvis's catalogue etc anywhere else in the public arena.

Maybe I missed articles in music publications and newspapers or discussions on TV and radio?

Wish as much as you like, but I'd like to see some REAL effort by those with the gift to persuade. We here are ALREADY persuaded.

Meanwhile new fans picking up the Albums NOW on sale will take the inexorable journey to Elvis's best stuff.

Why would they be any different to us? We had to wait years for, "Elvis is Back"!

Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:47 pm

Maybe not Joe DiMuro and other marketers, but who's to say?
We've recently seen Ernst, Kevan and David (formerly of BMG)
on-line here.

Every once in a blue moon, someone might be taking the "fan temperature."

And being a collector site, we do have those who buy anything
with Elvis on the cover. I direct some of my comments at those
who swoon over every repackaging.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:08 pm

Yes I know that Greg, but still nothing happens? We lucky enough to have large collections of Elvis's music should be a little more thoughtful towards newcomers.

What would it be like if there were NO Elvis albums on the shelves in the shops? Especially at Christmas time.

The "Elvis world" appears to spend more time In-fighting than doing anything constructive.

Your own petition is an example of the difficulty in getting people behind projects, and keeping the pressure up.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:49 pm

No, it's not really just mine but it was a good indication of the support
for an EOT project for DVD.

But what makes you think repackages are necessary to fill the stores?
Bing Crosby's same old "White Christmas" album graces the stores
here annually.

Other artists of legendary stature have labels that upgrade but respect their original
albums. There's no reason for "new" Elvis albums unless they truly bring
something to the table.

And this 'legendary' thread by Peter Franks sums it up:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... highlight=

:D :D

Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:16 pm

Greg, I don't expect repackaged compilations.

That's what we actually get. We have to work with the compilations till BMG change there policy.

As you know the message is not new. Many Elvis fans have been calling for Elvis's catalogue to be treated with respect. We wait.

Meanwhile joe public knows nothing of our frustration...why?

Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:10 pm

Well, Joe Public by definition wouldn't care.

But I can imagine, in the USA anyway, that some noise could
be generated among magazines like GOLDMINE and DISCOVERIES,which
are good general interest collector mags that often mention Elvis
and similar issues.