Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:02 pm

How about Elvis from 69? He was absolutely at his fittest and his outfits were awesome to say the least. Then release EP from Memphis in all it's brilliance.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:10 pm

Joe Car wrote:

How about Elvis from 69? He was absolutely at his fittest and his outfits were awesome to say the least. Then release EP from Memphis in all it's brilliance.

Could not disagree Joe. But usually images of young idols sell well.

As for EP from Memphis. I started a thread several weeks ago about getting this to the public. Give it the right package and the right publiciity and the music will do the rest. There are so many hidden gems from these sessions....

Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:19 pm

Joe Car wrote:How about Elvis from 69? He was absolutely at his fittest and his outfits were awesome to say the least. Then release EP from Memphis in all it's brilliance.

The unfortunate thing is, there is no footage of Vegas 1969. It is time that the EP in Memphis songs reached a wider audience though.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:26 pm

TJ wrote:
Joe Car wrote:How about Elvis from 69? He was absolutely at his fittest and his outfits were awesome to say the least. Then release EP from Memphis in all it's brilliance.

The unfortunate thing is, there is no footage of Vegas 1969. It is time that the EP in Memphis songs reached a wider audience though.

They have some footage from 69 in the new Bud Glass video out. Silent or not couldn't they add sound somehow?

Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:33 pm

Lakeisha wrote:A fans favorite type of album may not go too well with hookin a newer generation of fans due to different styles of taste. Some of the older fans may like a certain song that a younger generation thinks is wack.

I do think though that a remake album would be the way to go. Strip the music behind Elvis and add new backing tracks to Elvis' unique vocals and you got a super hit album! I'm referrin to today's standards of pop radio play format and not dance re-mixes. A big difference there. Maybe a few new collabs with Beyonce, Faith Hill, and Celine Dion. A mixture of contemporary pop/rock and urban.

Sorry if some of the older folks are against this, but it is the way to go to sell Elvis to a newer generation. How much longer can RCA and EPE expect the general public and fanbase to keep buying the same songs over and over? Just look at History for example. It's History all right....it's already forgotten. :lol:

Hi Lakeisha,

I agree 100%.

Brian :D

Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:37 pm

Joe Car wrote:
TJ wrote:

They have some footage from 69 in the new Bud Glass video out. Silent or not couldn't they add sound somehow?

I meant no professional footage. Yes there is some fairly short footage, but not really of good enough standard to be used as the centrepiece of a high profile release designed to attract new fans.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:39 pm

TJ wrote:The 70s jumpsuit Elvis is the Elvis image that is most ridiculed and most responsible for the inane Elvis jokes we have all faced for years. It is immediately associated with an overweight guy who was a shadow of his former self by non fans. That's in no small part due to the fact that critics portray Elvis in the 70s in that way. Even the Aloha set received such reviews, compared to the great reviews of the 68 set, where he was univerally considered to be a dynamic performer. My point is that a big push on EOT is not the way to open the door to new fans, as a rule. It's something they will discover once they have already gained an appreciation of the man. There will be exceptions, but I'm pretty sure that's the rule.

Interestingly, it is the jumpsuit image that is always featured by Impersonators and in the various soap operas. Further the 'Aloha from Hawaii' has sold more than the 68 TV Special.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:49 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:
TJ wrote:The 70s jumpsuit Elvis is the Elvis image that is most ridiculed and most responsible for the inane Elvis jokes we have all faced for years. It is immediately associated with an overweight guy who was a shadow of his former self by non fans. That's in no small part due to the fact that critics portray Elvis in the 70s in that way. Even the Aloha set received such reviews, compared to the great reviews of the 68 set, where he was univerally considered to be a dynamic performer. My point is that a big push on EOT is not the way to open the door to new fans, as a rule. It's something they will discover once they have already gained an appreciation of the man. There will be exceptions, but I'm pretty sure that's the rule.

Interestingly, it is the jumpsuit image that is always featured by Impersonators and in the various soap operas. Further the 'Aloha from Hawaii' has sold more than the 68 TV Special.

Yes it is generally that image, to the point where many people's perceptions of Elvis as a performer are sadly governed as much by those guys as the real thing. You think people rush out to buy an Elvis album because they see a fat guy in a jumpsuit impersonating (ridiculing) him? But it's not all impersonators. The guy who won Stars in their Eyes last year did not opt for the 70s jumpsuit and he was not overweight. He went for the 68 leather look.

I'll take your word for it that Aloha has sold more, but then it was significantly cheaper as a two disc set right? Also, a large proportion will have gone to existing fans, where we know there is a strong 70s appreciation. The discussion is about attracting new fans.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:17 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:
Lakeisha wrote:I do think though that a remake album would be the way to go. Strip the music behind Elvis and add new backing tracks to Elvis' unique vocals and you got a super hit album! I'm referrin to today's standards of pop radio play format and not dance re-mixes. A big difference there. Maybe a few new collabs with Beyonce, Faith Hill, and Celine Dion. A mixture of contemporary pop/rock and urban.

Hi Lakeisha,

I agree 100%.

I totally disagree. If you have to dress Elvis up in contemporary styles then what you're selling to the youth of today isn't really Elvis at all! I see no point in trying to pretend Elvis is something he isn't. If the modern listener is only enjoying the Elvis he/she hears on such a CD, and then tries out an older album, and rejects it because it doesn't sound modern enough, then they've fallen for the production values rather than the artist, and then nobody benefits, not Elvis's image, the older fans or the new consumers.

They tried it before with the Guitar Man in 1980 - and you don't hear of too many folks still holding that album up as a landmark release. Then there's the JXL single - I mean that was an interesting enough experiment, but I never think of it as being a real Elvis record.

Jules

Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:29 pm

ALLC and Rubberneckin' were good mixes but its been done and that is that.

Do no mess with the classics - they stand on their own.

There are enough unknown gems that the public do not know about - eg '69 Memphis sessions. But these exceptional gems should not be messed about with other than digintally remastering.....?

Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:15 pm

TJ wrote:what do you think the reaction would be if you put EOT on for a class of 14 yr olds? Do you think there would be choruses of "Wow he looks and sounds amazing!!!"? I doubt it. I'd guess most would look no further than the sideburns and jumpsuits. The fat Elvis and burger comments would start, with a few slurred attempts at "Thank you very much" and "uh huh huh" thrown in for good measure.

Well, we're just going to have to disagree. That's all there is to it.
However, I'm glad I don't know any of the same 14 year olds that you do.

Unbelievable.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:32 pm

I remember my 16 year old (now 19 year old) son coming in the living room and sitting with me while I watched TTWII second edition. His comments, "Dad I thought Elvis was fat when he played Vegas, he doesn't look fat for this show". Two interesting remarks, a) he assumed that because he had a white jumpsuit on, he was in Vegas, b) he assumed that he would be fat, thankfully he has eyes in his head. He then proceeded to ask when in fact the weight gain occured, after I explained everything to him, I marched him over to our computer and showed him some incredible photos of EP from 69/70 and later on. So he has been educated to the point now where he knows truth from fiction as far as the seventies go. Still, it has been ingrained for years now in the conciousness of the public and I don't know if no matter how much we fans educate people, it will ever go away.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:23 pm

pacer wrote:MauriceinIreland wrote:

At last the publicists have woken up to the fact the beautiful young pictures of Elvis sells just about anything!

I think, since E1, there has been an asserted effort to show the public how good Elvis looked in those early days. To get away from the stereotypical public image of a bloated, side burns and jump suit persona. Controlling the image - can't be bad....

Yes and no. It may be that I'm old enough to have lived Elvis at his best and worst. I don't want an airbrushed, freshly polished Elvis, I think if he's presented properly you can have Elvis with a career from '54 to '77.

We seem to tolerate ups downs and drugs in other artists, I can't figure why Elvis should be different.

Look at what we've got today. We seem to have forgiven Robbie Williams cocaine, alcohol and Take That (although I can't forgive any attachment commercial or personal to Geri Halliwell). Not to mention may others.

I can't figure what gives such negative power to Elvis' personal foibles?

Geoff

Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:18 pm

tupelo_boy, Market forces are in operation. It doesn't really matter what we think, or say.

The reality is, the "new" image of Elvis is upon us. We may as well work with it.

When have Elvis fans ever changed the direction of BMG/EPE regarding Elvis's image?

To my way of thinking if we are to interest the young in Elvis we need to concentrate on his 50s image.

I'm delighted "Hitstory" has such a great pic of Elvis on the cover and not a pair of Sunglasses.

As for Robbie Williams he's not wearing jumpsuits and fat...............yet:-)

Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:28 am

Rob wrote:
TJ wrote:what do you think the reaction would be if you put EOT on for a class of 14 yr olds? Do you think there would be choruses of "Wow he looks and sounds amazing!!!"? I doubt it. I'd guess most would look no further than the sideburns and jumpsuits. The fat Elvis and burger comments would start, with a few slurred attempts at "Thank you very much" and "uh huh huh" thrown in for good measure.

Well, we're just going to have to disagree. That's all there is to it.
However, I'm glad I don't know any of the same 14 year olds that you do.

Unbelievable.

Perhaps I'm being pessimistic, but I really believe that scenario would be pretty accurate. Pathetic and annoying, but accurate. I'm sure some of the youngest fans on here could back me up on that too. As you said, we'll have to disagree.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:04 am

Hi Igot a wife and a few kids. But let me tell you this, they all think EP is cool at the Aloha show. And I've been to Memphis a lot of times, and seen all these Impersonators, and NONE of them just look 10% cool like Elvis did in his worst jumpsuit and I don't care what anybody says.

It's the whole packed or nothing! Retro is big here in scandinavia right now and I hear a lot of young kids saying how cool he looks ect.

Maybe its more about, that we fans have to accept it, is it us, when we have friends over and start talking about E, that excuse for the way Elvis looked in the 70s, is it? If it is WHY, he is/was soo cool. If some one think its smarter or better to say something else, then its thier problem.

Elvis was fat the last few year of his life! Yes but he was a human being, that happens. Half of the world is way too fat these days.

Ladies & Gentlemen, Elvis is THE icon in modern music everybody in thier own way is copying him, they did it then and they still do it today!

HELP me how could we in a fun and positive way promote Elvis for a new generation and for those who "forgot" about him?

Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:40 am

Anyone ever watched I Love The 70's on VH-1? You will see images of Elvis during the entire decade without seein him. Fromthe lambchop sideburns to the jumpsuits. They all ripped him off and all of the artist, pop/rock/rnb and country copied his style. Elvis set the style trend for the whole decade.

For instance, Elvis came back to live performing and wearing the jumpsuits, sporting large sideburns, and huge bellbottom pants before the Jackson 5, Donnie And Marie, The Bee Gees, The Commadores, Sly And The Family Stone, James Brown, Elton John and others did. Even KISS wore a jumpsuit, similar to Elvis Gypsy suit. And they were idols to young teen girls. All of those acts began to sport the rhignstone jumpsuit look that Elvis had. KC and The Sunshine Band literally ripped off the Aloha Vegas Elvis the most. Even had a cape. I heard Elvis hated that.

Today, female artist are sporting the Elvis look in music and fashion. Beyonce, Mariah, Britney and Ashanti have all sported the high collar, white suit with open V' chest and bellbottoms in either concerts or videos. And they all seem to be hip and cool. So what's the difference? Elvis started the fad and kids today know that. That's no secret.

It's not the Elvis 70's jumpsuit that is ridiculed with jokes. It's the 77 image of overweight dying Elvis that is seen the most and as a "hasbeen". Not the youthfull 70-73 image of TTWII and EOT to the gorgeous Aloha look. He looked like a Greek God then. :)

BTW, I have a pair of bellbottom pants. Theya re back instyle today.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:02 am

TJ wrote:Perhaps I'm being pessimistic, but I really believe that scenario would be pretty accurate. Pathetic and annoying, but accurate.

I do think you are being a little bit of a pessimist. However, for the small percentage that I feel you are correct on, EPE certainly doesn't help Elvis' image in the 70's with garbage like this.

Idiots!

Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:47 am

Elvis is Elvis!! What's wrong with sideburns? They looked good on him! What's wrong with the jumpsuits? I loved them!! The most important thing is that Elvis could sing, move, and win you over with a look!! And, what looks he had and gave!! I don't know about teen kids, but my 3rd graders absolutely love him. (I show them Aloha, TTWII, E on T, and play his records on rainy days when they have to stay in at recess and during lunch. The yard supervisors who watch over them usually have 2 or 3 rooms to watch over, but usually end up in my room. Whenever I come back, early or late, they are there - watching, listening - with the kids. The noon supervisors are probably in their late 20s, 30s, some 40s because they have kids at our school.) If exposed to Elvis, everyone loves him, and the only videos I have at school, of course, are the 70s. The records go all the way back.
sue

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:04 am

silver wrote:What's wrong with sideburns? What's wrong with the jumpsuits?

Absolutely nothing.

Because it WAS Elvis and not an impersonator. Elvis set the standard and everyone took it from there.

For any young people who do make fun of him, it's because they have not spent any time at all watching him. Sit down and talk to them and then show them Aloha or Elvis On Tour and watch their reaction. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the outcome.

Been there, done that.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:28 am

Rob wrote:
TJ wrote:Perhaps I'm being pessimistic, but I really believe that scenario would be pretty accurate. Pathetic and annoying, but accurate.

I do think you are being a little bit of a pessimist. However, for the small percentage that I feel you are correct on, EPE certainly doesn't help Elvis' image in the 70's with garbage like this.

Idiots!

And on that we most certainly do agree :wink:

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:59 am

Impersonators?? All bullsh*t!

Elvis is Elvis! No copies allowed!

Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:28 pm

Renan,
You are RIGHT!!!
sue

Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:38 pm

Joe Car wrote:I remember my 16 year old (now 19 year old) son coming in the living room and sitting with me while I watched TTWII second edition. His comments, "Dad I thought Elvis was fat when he played Vegas, he doesn't look fat for this show". Two interesting remarks, a) he assumed that because he had a white jumpsuit on, he was in Vegas, b) he assumed that he would be fat, thankfully he has eyes in his head. He then proceeded to ask when in fact the weight gain occured, after I explained everything to him, I marched him over to our computer and showed him some incredible photos of EP from 69/70 and later on. So he has been educated to the point now where he knows truth from fiction as far as the seventies go. Still, it has been ingrained for years now in the conciousness of the public and I don't know if no matter how much we fans educate people, it will ever go away.

Unfortunately, this is the image in the 70´s the kids have from Elvis!!! But you did a great job showing the truth! :shock:

Re: How could or should Elvis be promted?

Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:40 pm

Renan wrote:
CD-collector2004 wrote:Is there nothing to do, anymore?

Yes of course.

First of all. Elvis wished to play outside US. So let Elvis The Concert go to EVERY continent. 30 years after! Wouldn´t that be great for worldwide Elvis fans? Don´t forget Brazil please. Like me there are millions here wanting to attend this.

Second: I agree regarding EOT. Show to the Joe public what Elvis could do on stage! All electricity!

Third: In case EOT is not released which would be a shame (already is), they could finally release the Anthology DVD´s.

But I still think young fans would be amazed with TCB in person playing in the countries. And don´t tell me it would not work. Few artists in the world have a virtual concert after death and if Elvis have this is because he still rocks and TCB too! :wink:

Look this thread Sillerman. You have gold in your hands and some of these days the TCB gentlemen may stop playing. Take advantage while it´s time.

Yes Renan... I think they could make a worldwide tour with Elvis The Concert.. and also promote this to the massive public and show them snippets of the concerts to. But please: Come to BRAZIL!