Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

How could or should Elvis be promted?

Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:10 pm

28 years after his death, 30th anniversary coming fast. How could SONY-BMG or EPE promoted E in new updated way. What could we all do?

Remember reading in old fan club zines that people was asked to writ letters to radiostations to request Elvis tunes. Could that be done today? or is it outdated?

Is there nothing to do, anymore?

Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:33 pm

How about a repeat of the 'Elvis In Demand' album that the British fan club did in 1977? That was very successful and fans could choose lesser known tracks that have surfaced recently that they would like to see on the main label. Have a big publicity campaign asking the public to choose what best represents a fitting tribute to the 50th anniversary of 'Heartbreak Hotel'.....................could work.

Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:35 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9774399

Vote for Elvis he is down a point on the Poll now 39% from 40%

Yes a few thousand e-mail requests to TV and radio stations might just get Elvis Specials started.

Snail mail worked very well for us for the 20th Anniversary. We did not have a PC then.

Newspapers and magazines are hungry creatures too:-)

Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:53 pm

A fans favorite type of album may not go too well with hookin a newer generation of fans due to different styles of taste. Some of the older fans may like a certain song that a younger generation thinks is wack.

I do think though that a remake album would be the way to go. Strip the music behind Elvis and add new backing tracks to Elvis' unique vocals and you got a super hit album! I'm referrin to today's standards of pop radio play format and not dance re-mixes. A big difference there. Maybe a few new collabs with Beyonce, Faith Hill, and Celine Dion. A mixture of contemporary pop/rock and urban.

Sorry if some of the older folks are against this, but it is the way to go to sell Elvis to a newer generation. How much longer can RCA and EPE expect the general public and fanbase to keep buying the same songs over and over? Just look at History for example. It's History all right....it's already forgotten. :lol:

Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:24 am

Lakeisha -

You wrote:
Sorry if some of the older folks are against this, but it is the way to go to sell Elvis to a newer generation.
How much longer can RCA and EPE expect the general public and fanbase to keep buying the same songs over and over?

Well, this 'older folk' person ain't against it !

It's a great idea !

Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:30 am

Thanks Colin! I know there are some older fans that want a newer sound like the younger ones do, like me. But I also know there are some out there that wil say "thou shall not mess with the king's music". :roll:

Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:38 am

I do not mind once in a while something like ALLC but a whole album not. It will sound outdated in a couple of years. I am glad RCA did not make a DISCO album in the late 70s for example.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:04 am

Lakeisha wrote:I do think though that a remake album would be the way to go. Strip the music behind Elvis and add new backing tracks to Elvis' unique vocals and you got a super hit album! I'm referrin to today's standards of pop radio play format and not dance re-mixes. A big difference there. Maybe a few new collabs with Beyonce, Faith Hill, and Celine Dion. A mixture of contemporary pop/rock and urban.

I could maybe be down with a remake album but I don't know about teaming him up other singers. I think Elvis stands well enough on his own.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:37 am

Trevell wrote:
Lakeisha wrote:I do think though that a remake album would be the way to go. Strip the music behind Elvis and add new backing tracks to Elvis' unique vocals and you got a super hit album! I'm referrin to today's standards of pop radio play format and not dance re-mixes. A big difference there. Maybe a few new collabs with Beyonce, Faith Hill, and Celine Dion. A mixture of contemporary pop/rock and urban.

I could maybe be down with a remake album but I don't know about teaming him up other singers. I think Elvis stands well enough on his own.

As for the duets idea, I just mentioned them as to help sell the album and market it. Can you imagine all the Beyonce and Faith Hill fans that would probably never buy an Elvis cd but would to hear their favs singin on it. That's called marketing. Elvis isn't alive to remake songs or record new ones so they have to deal with what they can and that sometimes means using other artist to help sell the product. Beyonce would sell anything, like her or not. But I doubt a duet like that will ever happen due to money issues and her money hungry father/manager.

It would be cheaper financially to do a remake album then duets album as some have suggested. They would have to pay the other artist a heavy salary to even appear on the album. Sure some might want to do it for free, but know the value of Elvis and would be fools to turn down a large payroll just to do the project. It's bad enough that they won't spend the money to update the original music with modern day technology as it is. :cry: I doubt they would pay another artist to sing along with Elvis.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:46 am

JLGB wrote:I do not mind once in a while something like ALLC but a whole album not. It will sound outdated in a couple of years. I am glad RCA did not make a DISCO album in the late 70s for example.

You obviously have the impression that remake means dance remix. No, I meant remake as in redo with newer backing arrangments, not a techno dance beat.

I doubt a remake album, if done properly and not just thrown together, would be dated in a couple of years. The sound that IS today is the sound of the next 5 years at the least.

I remember some over at the E-1 forum thought ALLC would sound dated in a few years too and forgotten. Well, it's been 4 years actually and it's nowhere near forgotten. It's used on one of the top tv shows on televison as its theme song, it's been in numerous movies, it's constantly played at NFL, NBA, and even college games, and that song/re-mix sounds as good today as it did back in 2002. As does Rubberneckin.

And ALLC and Rubberneckin have hooked many non Elvis fans not even born when he died to liking him and now thinkin of him as "cool and hip".

Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:51 am

Ok. I see thanks.

Re: How could or should Elvis be promted?

Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:00 am

CD-collector2004 wrote:28 years after his death, 30th anniversary coming fast. How could SONY-BMG or EPE promoted E in new updated way.

See that Elvis On Tour is released in a special edition set and make sure it is done right. Now before someone says Sony-BMG and EPE doesn't own the footage, believe me, I'm more than well aware of that. I'm not saying THEY should release it. I'm saying SEE that it is released.

How do they do it? What if it is not a profitable thing for them to do?
That's up to them to work out. I've already done what was asked of me. I've made a suggestion.

Do I have to come up with everything?

Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:22 am

Rob wrote:
CD-collector2004 wrote:28 years after his death, 30th anniversary coming fast. How could SONY-BMG or EPE promoted E in new updated way.

See that Elvis On Tour is released in a special edition set and make sure it is done right. Now before someone says Sony-BMG and EPE doesn't own the footage, believe me, I'm more than well aware of that. I'm not saying THEY should release it. I'm saying SEE that it is released.

I want that released as much as you do, but don't be under the illusion that it's the way to promote Elvis to attract new fans. The image of Elvis that is presented in On Tour is outdated and prompts ridicule from non fans. It's the cheesy jumpsuit guy with huge sideburns in their eyes. Unlike Aloha, there isn't even the bonus of him looking particularly well. Sad, but true.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:47 am

Shoot me if I'm wrong, but is Elvis really outdated? I say not, "yeah but you are a fan so..." Yes but cheesy Jumpsuit or not, I think he's the icon who has staying power. And with the right promotion will stay up there high and mighty or am I wrong?

Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:54 am

CD collector, you are RIGHT!!
sue

Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:55 am

TJ wrote:The image of Elvis that is presented in On Tour is outdated and prompts ridicule from non fans. It's the cheesy jumpsuit guy with huge sideburns in their eyes. Unlike Aloha, there isn't even the bonus of him looking particularly well. Sad, but true.

I definitely disagree with you. Elvis is getting new fans everyday.

My post was said in jest. However, I think you'd be surprised at how many fans would think exactly opposite of how you described. The Elvis drawing power is much stronger than that.

If you were to show someone totally new to the Elvis world, some great footage from Elvis On Tour, many would say something positive. By great footage, I'm referring to Polk Salad Annie, Until It's Time For You To Go, You Gave Me A Mountain, Bridge Over Troubled Water, For The Good Times, etc.

Don't under estimate what Elvis Live can do to people who are not interested. Many years ago, I was one of those people.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:01 am

Rob, You are RIGHT!!!
sue

Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:14 am

The 70s jumpsuit Elvis is the Elvis image that is most ridiculed and most responsible for the inane Elvis jokes we have all faced for years. It is immediately associated with an overweight guy who was a shadow of his former self by non fans. That's in no small part due to the fact that critics portray Elvis in the 70s in that way. Even the Aloha set received such reviews, compared to the great reviews of the 68 set, where he was univerally considered to be a dynamic performer. My point is that a big push on EOT is not the way to open the door to new fans, as a rule. It's something they will discover once they have already gained an appreciation of the man. There will be exceptions, but I'm pretty sure that's the rule.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:20 am

TJ wrote:The 70s jumpsuit Elvis is the Elvis image that is most ridiculed and most responsible for the inane Elvis jokes we have all faced for years.

And that will never stop no matter what. Elvis is getting more fans every single day, or there wouldn't be such a thing as Elvis material being released. Obviously, they are not going by the sales from only the older fans because they are slowly dwindling away.

I agree with a lot of things that you post. However, this is not one of them. I just don't share your opinion on this and thankfully there are many newer fans who I think will not as well.

There are always those who will make fun of Elvis, but they are tremendously outweighed by those such as myself who are respectful of him and enjoy seeing him on stage in a "cheesy" jumpsuit as you call it.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:37 am

Rob wrote:There are always those who will make fun of Elvis, but they are tremendously outweighed by those such as myself who are respectful of him and enjoy seeing him on stage in a "cheesy" jumpsuit as you call it.

Rob, I'm in your corner. To clarify, I do not call Elvis in the 70s 'cheesy'. My point was that it's a common perception among music critics and non-fans. I've been just as frustrated by these uneducated criticisms as you and everyone else over the years.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:37 am

TJ, is right.

The image of Elvis on the Elvis Presley 2006 Calender is of Elvis as he looked 1958.

On the Posters with James Dean and Marilyn etc..... the young Elvis.

On the jig-saws in our shops for Christmas... the young Elvis.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/ ... PUZZLE.jpg

On the "Hitstory" album......... the young Elvis.

It is being very well promoted on our TV this week I 've seen it three times ALREADY and I don't watch much TV! At last the publicists have woken up to the fact the beautiful young pictures of Elvis sells just about anything!

Young people who buy or hear a good Elvis album would naturally have to hear more...a lot more!

The odd re-mix doesn't bother me:-)

Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:41 am

TJ is not right. I'm not talking about any of that junk.

Read what I am referring to. I am referring to an Elvis On Tour Special Edition. I said that if is done right, it will attract more fans, than ridicule.

That was my original point. Go back and read closely.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:25 pm

CD-collector2004 wrote:Is there nothing to do, anymore?

Yes of course.

First of all. Elvis wished to play outside US. So let Elvis The Concert go to EVERY continent. 30 years after! Wouldn´t that be great for worldwide Elvis fans? Don´t forget Brazil please. Like me there are millions here wanting to attend this.

Second: I agree regarding EOT. Show to the Joe public what Elvis could do on stage! All electricity!

Third: In case EOT is not released which would be a shame (already is), they could finally release the Anthology DVD´s.

But I still think young fans would be amazed with TCB in person playing in the countries. And don´t tell me it would not work. Few artists in the world have a virtual concert after death and if Elvis have this is because he still rocks and TCB too! :wink:

Look this thread Sillerman. You have gold in your hands and some of these days the TCB gentlemen may stop playing. Take advantage while it´s time.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:18 pm

Rob wrote:TJ is not right. I'm not talking about any of that junk.

Read what I am referring to. I am referring to an Elvis On Tour Special Edition. I said that if is done right, it will attract more fans, than ridicule.

That was my original point. Go back and read closely.

Well it's all just opinion. Neither of us know for sure. But, what do you think the reaction would be if you put EOT on for a class of 14 yr olds? Do you think there would be choruses of "Wow he looks and sounds amazing!!!"? I doubt it. I'd guess most would look no further than the sideburns and jumpsuits. The fat Elvis and burger comments would start, with a few slurred attempts at "Thank you very much" and "uh huh huh" thrown in for good measure. Elvis wasn't fat in On Tour of course and was in pretty good form, but I've known of people see clips of TTWII and make 'fat Elvis' comments. I just don't have faith in the idea of 70s footage being a great way of getting new fans. Of course there will be exceptions to that. And please, no attacks on me as if I'm belittling 70s Elvis. I'm speaking of my perception of what young people think, not my own views on the period. I'd hardly be here if I thought Elvis was cheesy!

Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:54 pm

MauriceinIreland wrote:

At last the publicists have woken up to the fact the beautiful young pictures of Elvis sells just about anything!

I think, since E1, there has been an asserted effort to show the public how good Elvis looked in those early days. To get away from the stereotypical public image of a bloated, side burns and jump suit persona. Controlling the image - can't be bad....