Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Hello little girl, what you got... a valentine

Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:01 pm

Has this version of "Let It Be Me" including the dialogue, from "Legendary Performer Vol 3" ever been put out on CD.
And if not, why don't BMG get this one out, what a fantastic version
I think I prefer this, to the "On Stage" version.

Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:26 pm

Hi Joe,
exact THIS Version was released on the Readers Digest 4 CD Jewelcase Box Set from USA + CANADA + AUS !!
I don't know any other RCA BMG CD where you can find this track.
Too bad!!
Andy-M.

Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:11 pm

Thanks Andy,

When was this readers digest box put out, and did it include any other of the forgotten LP tracks.

I reckon FTD should put out a disc, of this kind of material.

Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:50 am

Hi Joe,
the US release came out in 93.
The CANADA + AUS release I think in the mid 90's.
This 4 CD Box Sets incl. also Can't help falling in Love alt. take 24;
+ The Elvis Medley; Blue Moon alt. mix; Heartbreak Hotel 56/03/17 overdub ; Hound Dog 56/06/05 overdub; Shake Rattle & Roll + Flip Flop & Fly 56/01/28 overdub; + many Live takes from 68; 69; 70; 72; 73; 74; 77;
Andy-M.
PS there exist also a 5 CD Box Set from Readers Digest with the same Title "The Legend Lives On", but this has a complete diff tracklisting!!
This 5 CD Box Set came out in England; Portugal;

Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:31 pm

I bet the English version didn't include "Let It Be Me", or any of the above mentioned tracks. I haven't even got the "medley" on CD.
I wouldn't mind knowing what was on these box sets, both US version and English version.
I remember sometime back they put out a readers digest box in England on vinyl, I think it had a picture of Elvis from 1970 on the front, is the CD version the same as that. I never did get hold of that set, but if I remember correctly, it was all the greatest hits, no alternate versions.

Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:58 pm

Hi Joe,
you are right!
The UK 5 CD Readers Digest Box Set does NOT incl. the Let it be me alt. take also not The Elvis Medley.
Also not the many Live takes from 68-77.
Andy-M.
PS ONLY the 4 CD Set The Legend Lives on Readers Digest US; CAN; AUS incl. these Rare tracks!

Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:40 pm

As a by the way to Andy-M :
I think the R.D. 5 cd-set you are referring to contains a magnificent
take 4 of Easy Question which I don't think has been released any-
where,except on different imports.It's stunning.

O.K.Some are complaining of being tired of hearing about different
alternate takes and remixes,but they don't know what they are mis-
sing.Let me assure you : This is a truly exciting field of exploration
and discovery and we can look forward to many a pleasure in the
times ahead of us.And I wholeheartedly agree with those who feel
that BMG really should compile albums with the best of such takes.
Let It Be Me and Easy Question are perfect examples.The original
single masters are others.Even mixes from foreign countries may
surprise you in the way they differ from your accustomed versions.

On a final note for the experts among Elvis-collectors :
How many different versions of Merry Christmas Baby have you got ?

Splanky

Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:43 pm

Hi Splanky,
thanks for the GREAT Info!!
I did not know this ;-)
I love alt. takes!!
Andy-M.
PS it's for sure GREAT to have BOTH: The 4 CD + the 5 CD Readers Digest The Legend Lives on !

Reader's Digest

Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:49 pm

The USA version of the 4 CD Legend Lives On set does indeed have the Legendary Performer mix of Let It Be Me on it, as well as the Elvis Medley. The UK version was a 5 CD set with a totally different track list than the US version, although packaging was identical!! You can still buy the US set direct from RD if you want the Elvis Medley, Let It Be Me, also the spliced Blue Suede Shoes from the '68 special as released on This Is Elvis. Don't Cry Daddy (live) on the USA set is also unavailable elsewhere on CD. The original single mix of I've Lost You is also on this box. I would recommend these CDs to anyone after original mixes, it will help complete the collection for you. In the USA, Reader's Digest also has another 4 CD set called "His Greatest Hits". Just be careful, RD has mixed up their tracklistings on the web site. Here is a place to find the real lists:

http://www.solid-gold-elvis.com/

Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:08 pm

Greg is RIGHT!
These are great Box Sets with many Original Master Versions + Rare outtakes.
Andy-M.

Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:09 pm

Whilst the UK version of the Readers Digest CD set, “The Legend Lives On”, didn’t include as many rarities as the US release, there were a couple of hard to find performances included on the set. The final disc “Elvis’ Last Hits” included the 1981 remake of “She Thinks I Still Care”, presumably in error, along with the harmony version of “Promised Land” that was first issued on “This Is Elvis”.

Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:00 am

Cheers guys, anybody know how much these box sets are selling for, especially the US one.

Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:03 am

$ 25 - 50.- US Dollar?
It appears from time to time on Ebay.
Saw it last time before months on the Readers Digest Webpage for $ 59.- US Dollar. But now they don't have it anymore. Only The Greatest Hits 4 CD Box for the same price.
Andy-M.