Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
KiwiAlan
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Hound Dog

Post by KiwiAlan »

Outtakes of Hound Dog would to many of us be the Holy Grail.

We have David Bendeth now saying:-

"""""""""
studio recordings of hound dog, not very well executed, bad solo, weird speed up tempo..BUT I LOVED IT. iT reminded me of raw screaming talent on 10, it was breathtaking and all screwed up..like a human would do it!! amazing take one on the reel of three, maybe two takes, original master
"""""""""

So a three reel session tape of Hound Dog?

Remember E1 was done in 2002.

RCA and Ernst have consistently said that no such animal exists.

So either:-

A) David Bendeth is lying.
B) David bendeth currently on the board is not David Bendeth.
C) Ernst is lying.
D) David did find them in 2002 but either Ernst and/or RCA are sitting on the news for some purpose.

If the answer is D, then that is hardly the attitude that loyal fans who have spent a fortune on FTD should expect from both Ernst and RCA.

It would be helpful if Ernst made a statement as soon as possible so the rumours don't get out of hand.

Perhaps the "elite" fans should ask him.

Sadly I don't expect that Ernst will the moral fortitude to break his lifetime habit of secrecy

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years

Post by elvissessions »

Sadly I don't expect that Ernst will the moral fortitude to break his lifetime habit of secrecy
Come on! That's over the line. BMG, of which Ernst is an employee, has a clear policy on this.

If Ernst is following that policy, he's demonstrating the proper "moral fortitude."

I suppose violating the policies and getting fired so that BMG returns to its old practices with regards to Elvis' catalog would be the responsible thing to do. :?

Ernst has explained this policy about 3,000 times, so I don't see any reason to repeat it here. But from the company's standpoint, it's sound.

If you want to attack that policy, why not make another Sony/BMG artist the test case, say *NSYNC -- and leave Ernst alone.

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Hmmm....or someone made a mistake.

Oh no, that option isn't listed in the 4 KiwiAlan has provided so it can't be that.

JEFF d

Re: Hound Dog

Post by JEFF d »

KiwiAlan wrote: So either:-

A) David Bendeth is lying.
B) David bendeth currently on the board is not David Bendeth.
C) Ernst is lying.
D) David did find them in 2002 but either Ernst and/or RCA are sitting on the news for some purpose.
Has Ernst actually said that this does not exist? David can talk more freely about the subject since he no longer works for BMG, Ernst on the other hand does still work for them, and I'm sure just can't just come right out and tell us everything. I just pray that David is correct, that would be wonderfull to hear(also a concert from 1957 :wink: ).

JEFF d
Elvis fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

:smt024
Last edited by Juan Luis on Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

JEFF d wrote:(also a concert from 1957 :wink: ).

JEFF d
Elvis fan
Any outtake from that 56 session is MUCH more important than some bad recording from 57. Not taking away the importance but there is no comparison I believe.

ritchie valens
Banned for Political Trolling
Banned for Political Trolling
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Post by ritchie valens »

any alt.s from jan 1956-jan 1958 sessions unreleased are more important
to me than a soundboard or even the jungle room sessions.
i bet there will be some suprizes coming out next yr from 1956 sessions.
you never know what kevan,ernst will find between now and the 50th anniversaries of the 1st rca sessions.

Topic author
KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

As I said... a statement from RCA/Ernst would clear this up.

There is nothing over the top on commenting upon the secrecy of Ernst and RCA.

For example, as sites are now taking orders, why not release the contents of Loving You? Why the secrecy?

Wouldn't you all like to know the truth about the July '56 sessions?

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

JLGB wrote:
JEFF d wrote:(also a concert from 1957 :wink: ).

JEFF d
Elvis fan
Any outtake from that 56 session is MUCH more important than some bad recording from 57. Not taking away the importance but there is no comparison I believe.
I didn't say I wanted a bad recording from 1957 now did I? If it sounded the same as say Little Rock '56! I still want a concert from 1957 dammit! lol :wink:

JEFF d
Elvis fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

I know you didn't. :wink:

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

I am pretty sure..soon we get another post from Ernst saying...
fan message boards tend to dream sometimes....
:wink:

But dreaming isn`t forbidden....is it..???..LOL..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years

Post by elvissessions »

There is nothing over the top on commenting upon the secrecy of Ernst and RCA.
What I thought was over the top was calling into question his "moral fortitude."

I guess my question is this: Did you take at least a moment to savor the fact that a well-informed source with access to the tape vaults revealed that previously believed lost outtakes of classic Elvis material exist and are in safekeeping?

Or did you instinctually see it as an opportunity to stick a needle in the Ernst voodoo doll?

You'll get no criticism from me if it's the latter, but I'm just curious why faulting Ernst was your first public reaction here.

likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by likethebike »

Why the big secret? Are they afraid the tapes will be stolen? Just asking.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

likethebike wrote:Why the big secret? Are they afraid the tapes will be stolen? Just asking.
I think that either it was going to be a surprise by BMG or that no one had asked Mr. Bendeth if he had found some new material because it was not expected. If the latter is true, you can bet there will be a run for Iron Mountain to verify. That is MY opinion, I could be WRONG.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

likethebike wrote:Why the big secret? Are they afraid the tapes will be stolen? Just asking.
I think it all boils down to business. You know, BMG/Sony always seems to find a "new" song or outtake just a couple of days before a new major release is finished. Of course, they have probably been sitting on that particular song for years without telling anyone! It's a way of creating interest and excitement for a new CD and I can't see anything wrong with that.

And like elvissessions said, we can't blame Ernst for this. He'd probably like to tell us about ALL his finds right away but he's an BMG employee and has to follow the rules.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

David Bendeth
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

calm down!

Post by David Bendeth »

This is a mono track, I am sure that whatever Ted Jensen had was already in Ernsts log. There were other takes, I beleive it was an edit on the master at the end. Thats only my opinion , thats what my ears told me. All I ever said was thet Ted Jensen at sterling had more than one option of the song, I think three. I never said the holy grail had been found.To me and my ears Heartbreak hotel was the break through track. That was the master and I dont think it had been played in years, it was flimsy!!
Ernst knows pretty well everything there is to know other than whats been stolen or hidden. I would defer to him. I never mixed hound dog, it was mono. I think there has been a misundertanding. Whatever was discovered was after the fact in the mastering stage. I saw the tape box, thats about it.

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
I think it all boils down to business. You know, BMG/Sony always seems to find a "new" song or outtake just a couple of days before a new major release is finished. Of course, they have probably been sitting on that particular song for years without telling anyone! It's a way of creating interest and excitement for a new CD and I can't see anything wrong with that.

And like elvissessions said, we can't blame Ernst for this. He'd probably like to tell us about ALL his finds right away but he's an BMG employee and has to follow the rules.

Keith Richards, Jr.

jbgude
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by jbgude »

David, a bit off the theme of this thread but here something I am curious to know . Presuming you are the real McCoy, could you please let us know if it was infact your idea / choice to include the alternate take of " The wonder of you" on the "30 No 1s " album ? Hope you are not bound by some code of secrecy too.

Eileen
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Eileen »

jbgude wrote:David, a bit off the theme of this thread but here something I am curious to know . Presuming you are the real McCoy, could you please let us know if it was infact your idea / choice to include the alternate take of " The wonder of you" on the "30 No 1s " album ? Hope you are not bound by some code of secrecy too.
I believe he covered this in detail in his main thread.

Eileen

David Bendeth
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Jb Gude

Post by David Bendeth »

JBgude, assuming you are who you say you are, please defer to Eileeen for direction in the future if you are in any way confused. I will too. She knows where the threads really are,
DB

Eileen wrote:
jbgude wrote:David, a bit off the theme of this thread but here something I am curious to know . Presuming you are the real McCoy, could you please let us know if it was infact your idea / choice to include the alternate take of " The wonder of you" on the "30 No 1s " album ? Hope you are not bound by some code of secrecy too.
I believe he covered this in detail in his main thread.

Eileen

Jim Dandy
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by Jim Dandy »

BMG will be able to get more mileage out of the Hound Dog out-takes than most other songs by Presley (of course there is stuff like Baby Lets Play House, Good Rockin' Tonight, Blue Suede Shoes and Love Me) however realistically it would be limited.
Honestly, as someone else said the other day on another thread, only Presley fans, historians of rock and roll and a few passers by would buy an album containing one, or several Hound Dog alternate takes, at most.
Even if they're binaural.

Come on, hand them over. You missed the boat. The value of those tapes has depreciated much over the past decade.

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

TONY

NOT

Post by TONY »

That man who posted is NOT David Bendeth, the RCA/BMG person, I believe.

Hav-A-Tampa
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Hav-A-Tampa »

Tony - have you missed the gigantic Latest member - David Benedeth thread (is that even possible? lol) ??

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

And in the same spirit - and Eileen will appreciate this- why is this
second thread needed? Here's the original:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19276&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

:D :wink: :lol:

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality