Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The Rumour Mill

Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:58 am

Looking at an old 'Compuserve' forum thread from years back - it had speculation on many items which have since come to be confirmed and even released like 'Roustabout No.2 and the duet of TT&F but omitting the more familiar items it still leaves this list of what if's - can anyone add information or confirm / deny the following . . . .

• Elvis appeared on the Roy Orbison TV Show in Odessa, Texas - 1955, a kinoscope of which is said to belong to Danny Mayo???
• Elvis attempted to record ‘Country Bumkin’ during the ‘Today’ album sessions, and again it has not surfaced.
• All of the ‘King Creole’ Sessions were recorded in Binaural STEREO, but the tape are missing!
• RCA have in the vaults stereo binaural versions of all the ‘Jailhouse rock’ songs, but quality varies.
• All of the Kissin Cousins soundtrack were vocally laid down in Hollywood in Oct’63 on the film’s soundstage, the backing tracks were laid down in Nashville.
• Felton Jarvis recorded a ‘Blue Grass Jam’ of old songs while Elvis was recording in 1967, the tape has yet to surface.
• Elvis was originally going to include ‘Little Less Conversation’ & ‘How Would You Like To Be’ in his 1968 TV Special. He did recorded ‘Conversation’ but no filming ever took place on both segments.
• Suppose (Home recording) as released on the Golden Celebration box set was recorded with just Elvis & Charlie Hodge, it was then sent to Nashville and overdubbed, it is the same version as the 60’s masters box set!
• Just as the Gold Box ‘56 Tupelo Shows were taped, Elvis was also broadcast on radio at the 1957 Tupelo show, no tape has surfaced
• Elvis sang ‘Butterflies’ at one of his concerts in Canada in 1957 and incidentally Red Robinson recorded some of Elvis’ show in Vancouver, any tapes have yet to surface.
• Both Milton Berle TV shows from 1956 were broadcast live in COLOUR, but only recorded via Kinescopes in B/W.
• The Complete Million Dollar Quartet Album released by BMG is far from complete, their is also several more tapes, including a jam session of Christmas Songs
• Elvis’ performed two shows in Little Rock, the one was taped and eventually released, the other contained ‘Only You’,
• Elvis did a run-through of a song called ‘Leave My Woman Alone’ for the film ‘Easy Come, Easy Go’ .
•Elvis recorded ‘Feelings’ & ‘America, The Beautiful’ at his Graceland ‘Jungle Room’ sessions of 1976, both were erased! A private amatuer tape exists of Feelings.
• Elvis sang ‘It Hurts Me’ with different lyrics, as a joke, during a Birthday Party on set of the 1968 TV Special.
• Some of the live-stock seen running loose at Graceland (assumed to be pets) were prepared and cooked by Glady’s during those golden 50’s years, to the surprise of certain visitors and neighbours.
* The Madison Square Gardens concerts were comitted to film in a primitive 2 angle way via security.
* Elvis' personal copy of the Frank Sinatra show has been used as the master since no master kinoscopes exist, although Frank Sinatra's personal copy is believed to be of a higher quality.
*Col Tom Parker commissioned a camera man/team to capture Elvis' second season in Vegas in February of 1970 as a way of piloting the 'TTWII' concept to MGM.
* A 'un-named' fans taped several shows from May of 1956 from under her seat.
* Some of the Hayride Performances thought not to exist - have been rumoured to exists in the form of a 'primitive' taped of the radio quality?

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:05 am

Shaky -

He didn't record Country Bumpkin.

Having expressed an interest in the song, and getting them to obtain the music & lyrics, when it came to the session, he just said:

"I ain't no country bumpkin !" and went on to the next song !
Last edited by ColinB on Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:18 am

ColinB wrote:Shaky -

He didn't record Country Bumkin.

Having expressed an interest in the song, and getting them to obtain the music & lyrics, when it came to the session, he just said:

"I ain't no country bumkin !" and went on to the next song !

Thank God

Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:50 am

This is a very interesting topic!

"Butterfly" could be All Shook Up as I have seen in Keith site.

Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:07 am

king creole sessions were recorded in binaural stereo but the tapes have not been found yet.

Re: The Rumour Mill

Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:31 am

Shaky wrote: .....
• Elvis sang ‘It Hurts Me’ with different lyrics, as a joke, during a Birthday Party on set of the 1968 TV Special......

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Found this site awhile ago, http://www.memphis.demon.nl/Birthday.html
which would seem to confirm the above query.....

On the 26th of June 1968
Colonel Tom Parker celebrated his 59th birthday

Elvis and the production team organized a party for Colonel Tom Parker.

It is well-known that the Colonel wanted Elvis to sing one or more Christmas songs in the special, therefore at this party Elvis sung a parody of the song "It Hurts Me" with lyrics written especially for the Colonel.

The lyrics are also posted there:

http://www.memphis.demon.nl/Birthday.html

Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:54 am

The party and parody are definitely confirmed. EPE confirmed the story and published the lyrics back when they created the promo site for the deluxe DVD sets. There are additional pictures from this party on Elvis.com also.

Eileen

Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:41 am

What is weird is that a 1956 show was released with regular songs and the show where Elvis sings "Only you" was also taped but the tape is missing.
From the Canadian performance several 20 seconds bits are released but they are all the regular repertoire songs. No "Butterfly".
Time will tell what exists and what not. I hope that existing items will not be held back for years, as a lot of fans are getting older and older........

Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:03 pm

Something in my mind keeps saying that the tape that have Only You performance is the only one that exists so that´s the reason to holding almost 50 years...or it is in collectors hand.

The Rumour Mill

Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:18 pm

At least a portion of "That's When Your Heartaches Begin" (and "I Was The One"?) from the 1957 Vancouver show that Robinson taped has been available on boot for years - both on vinyl and cd. I remember him playing some of these on his radio show at the time.

Tupelo'57

Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:17 pm

I was hoping someone had some further info on the Tupelo'57 shows - I think this could be our best chance of a complete 1957 concert recording - fingers STILL crossed :oops:

Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:02 pm

Trevell: Whereas, I agree that Country Bumpkin probably wouldn't have been a good song for Elvis, it was an excellent choice for Cal Smith who had a HUGE country hit back then. I believe it hit the top of the Billboard country charts at the time. As I work at a radio station that specializes in
"Classic Country" I get the pleasure of playing it even today.
Last edited by JerryNodak on Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:28 pm

Country Bumpkin...

It shows you how quick his mood could change,all for it one time,against it the next.

TAPE

Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:46 pm

What about the rumour in "Sessions 3" about the possibility of a tape of Elvis singing with Tom Jones!? And don't even MENTION "Rock around the clock"!!!