Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Help please : Kentucky Rain alternative strings mix

Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:34 pm

I am compiling a CD and looking for an alternative orchestral mix on Kentucky Rain, but I'm blowed if I can find it in my collection.

The strings are different behind "showed your photograph" etc and more prominent at the end in a sort of counter melody. I'm pretty sure that the vocal is the master.

I am NOT talking about The Memphis Record version, and I'm sure I'm not dreaming. Maybe it was on vinyl.

Your assistance would be most appreciated.

Steve Morse

Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:15 pm

Steve -

Well, there is the version with Felton Jarvis' overdubbed backing from 1980.

This finally saw 'official' release on the FTD release: Too Much Monkey Business in 2000.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:43 pm

Maybe the version you are thinking about is the version on "Great Country Songs". The strings definitely have greater prominence on this version.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:58 pm

I'll check out the google.com version, thanks Colin, though I'll be rather surprised if that's the one. But you know what it's like as you get older - the old grey matter gets a little unreliable!

LTB, I did listen to the GCS version last night but it wasn't the one inside my head. But I'll have a re-listen tonight.

Steve Morse

Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:06 pm

It could be in the 60s masters box set. A different mix has been mentioned and I have heard it with the strings being a little different. They were originally recorded but not brought up in the mix in certain areas. I will check and post later unless someone finds it first.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:36 pm

Have you tried the version on "ELVIIS 2nd to None"?

The strings are the way I think you're describing them at first, though less prominent at the end.

There's also the mix on the upgraded "From Elvis in Memphis" but that sounds very similar to TGCS to these ol' ears.

Geoff
Last edited by tupelo_boy on Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:45 pm

woodleyjohn wrote:The 60s box set and Gold Records vol 5 are both remixes, if that's any help.
Those are definite sources for a different Kentucky Rain other than undubbed (no strings) and Guitar Man sessions.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm

Steve

To add my voice to JLGB and John's comments, the mix of Kentucky Rain on the 60s box has the strings much higher in the mix on the outro each time Elvis sings 'rai-ai, ai-ai-ai-ain'. I remember hearing it for the first time and really being struck by it. It was the first time I'd heard the 'counter-melody' at the end, as you put it.

If I recall, on 2nd to None they are a little lower, more like on the original single, where you can hear the strings but barely notice the counter-melody at all. On the Memphis Record, the strings are mixed out completely in some parts, but I can't remember the details just now.

Hope that helps

Johnny

Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:30 pm

Johnny wrote:Steve
the 60s box has the strings much higher in the mix on the outro each time Elvis sings 'rai-ai, ai-ai-ai-ain'. I remember hearing it for the first time and really being struck by it. It was the first time I'd heard the 'counter-melody' at the end, as you put it.

Johnny
Thats it. :)

Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:58 pm

Thanks all. I'll listen/re-listen to all of the suggestions. The 60s box is certainly a nice clear mix and I put it in my car CD player this morning, though it didn't strike me as THE one I have in my head. I'll have another listen on the way home.

The silver EAP box live version is excellent (how much better he sounded when focussed and it was all still fairly new) but it doesn't quite fit for my compilation of Elvis's "outdoor" songs (provisional title is "Purple Mountains and Lonely Highways").

Steve Morse

Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:34 pm

I'm sure the prominent counter melody is heard on the Great Country Songs CD, Steve.

I remember being very surprised when I first heard it.

Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:29 pm

As I don't yet have it, I had no idea that the 60s Box had remixed versions of the '69 Memphis material. Interesting.....

:smt017

Jules

Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:35 pm

Steve,
Could it be the one on the "Love Songs" collection that was in the digipack (with all the hearts and different pics of Elvis on a blue and white background)? I do not have it in my personal collection but I remember that it contained a different mix of "Kentucky Rain" and that I should have bought it for that reason.

Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:52 pm

It is the one on the Love Songs digipack compilation. At first, it seemed to be an alternate take but it turned out to be a different mix. I have this one...never listen to it, though. It's from the mid to late 90's period.

Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:47 pm

Jules
I had no idea that the 60s Box had remixed versions of the '69 Memphis material.

In the main, the mixes are about the same as the original masters. Kentucky Rain and Don't Cry Daddy are a different matter, as a stereo master of these was never released in Elvis's lifetime. Trying to make a stereo mix that reflects the original mono master is pretty tricky!

In the case of KR, there are at least two other stereo mixes previous to the 60s box. The earliest one I know is from 1984. I have it on a cassette-only release called Magic Moments, but it may have appeared elsewhere too. The mix is very faithful to the mono original, very nice.

Then there was the Memphis Record remix. I'm writing from memory here, but I'm pretty sure the intro is missing the strings among other things - in any case it was a complete remix, nothing like the original. I remember being very disappointed with this particular track. (Not to mention the hack job on Suspicious Minds, Inherit The Wind with alternate vocal on the refrain, some alternate vocals and complete remix on I'm Movin' On, alternate vocal on bird/apple pie/trees/Arkansas verse of Wearin' That Loved On Look - all very interesting now, but at the time I was hoping it would be the definitive Memphis collection to replace my scratched old LPs, and it wasn't!)

Cheers

Johnny

Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:58 pm

Don't have that particular Love Songs collection. I think in my own mind I had a combination of the counter-melody closing strings (60s box set / Great Country Songs) and Take 9 where there are very moody/effective piano chords on "finally got a ride / with a preacher man who asked".

Whichever way you look at it, what a classy song/recording Kentucky Rain is !

Steve Morse

Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:37 am

Steve

Totally agree with you there - one of my all-time favourites.

Johnny

Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:38 am

For those interested check out the 1975 album Pure Gold that was released on CD 1992 and I am glad (in this type case only) that RCA used same compilation master. So Kentucky Rain is there but in MONO. Weird because it is 2 track mono and the left side has a lot of tape noise and the right does not. :smt017 Anyway if you want original mix single try to get that CD.

Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:58 pm

John
Do you keep a detailed note of all the different mixes. I have yet to get to this stage which will entail hours of listening. Care to share?

I'm afraid I've never really made any detailed or systematic notes on this stuff. I sometimes jot things down on odd scraps of paper :oops: but mostly I just make a mental note as and when things strike me. When a thread like this comes up on the MB it jogs my memory, so I go back to my collection and check on the details so that I can share them here for anyone who's interested. I've often thought about doing a detailed comparison of all the different edits & mixes of things that have appeared over the years, but it's such a vast undertaking that I've just never found the time to even start!

Cheers

Johnny

Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:24 pm

Johnny wrote:In the case of KR, there are at least two other stereo mixes previous to the 60s box. The earliest one I know is from 1984. I have it on a cassette-only release called Magic Moments, but it may have appeared elsewhere too. The mix is very faithful to the mono original, very nice.

Then there was the Memphis Record remix. I'm writing from memory here, but I'm pretty sure the intro is missing the strings among other things - in any case it was a complete remix, nothing like the original. I remember being very disappointed with this particular track. (Not to mention the hack job on Suspicious Minds, Inherit The Wind with alternate vocal on the refrain, some alternate vocals and complete remix on I'm Movin' On, alternate vocal on bird/apple pie/trees/Arkansas verse of Wearin' That Loved On Look - all very interesting now, but at the time I was hoping it would be the definitive Memphis collection to replace my scratched old LPs, and it wasn't!)

Thanks Johnny. Fascinating info as always from your good self!

Jules

Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:07 pm

Thanks Jules for the kind words! :)
Johnny

Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:40 pm

Johnny wrote:Steve

Totally agree with you there - one of my all-time favourites.

Johnny

Whereas I agree with you guys about the song's classy nature, I don't think it had a catchy enough 'hook' for a single release.

Maybe that's why it didn't exactly set the chart alight.

A great album track, though !