Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

favorite movie mentions

Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:32 pm

As we know Elvis' legacy lives on in many ways, but one that remains prominent is through mentions in movies.
We all know the obvious ones, like 3000 Miles To Graceland, but there's hundreds of sometimes obscure references out there.
One of my favorites is Men In Black when Promised Land is played.
Recently I heard Run On in the baseball movie The Rookie.
Any favorites for you guys?
rick

Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:21 pm

Christian Slater’s Elvis obsessed character in “True Romance” springs to mind. A great film too, in my opinion.

Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:45 pm

Hi,

Jailhouse Rock, It's Now Or Never, Can't Help Falling In Love in Fools Rush In, a fun movie with Salma Hayek en Matthew Perry.

Suspicious Minds in Black Hawk Down

And a very nice one: Suspicious Minds in Frequency with Dennis Quaid.

I'll try and remember some more...

Bye for now,
Sonny

Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:12 am

Did you also notice the album cover of `Elvis In Concert' in Frequency?. Suspicious Minds was fine, considering the 1969 setting, but In Concert was a bit out of place.
A similar thing happened in Born On The 4th of July. There's a street parade including an Elvis lookalike, complete with white studded jumpsuit.
Again the setting was 1969.
rick

Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:43 am

Yeah, I noticed that Elvis In Concert LP in Frequency. Stupid mistake.

Sonny

Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:04 pm

I also notice Elvis name pops up in tons of Biography. I just got the Muhammed Ali documentary "through the eyes of the world(I think is the name-but it is a GREAT documentary coverin all facets of MA career).

Still to name a movie..what about Independance Day or how about Cast Away. Lets not forget Pulp Fiction and Forrest Gump. Jerry Mcguire. Joe Vs. The Volcano(using Blue Moon which I believe was the first promotion for the 50's box set!). Honeymoon In Vegas. Mischief(a very cool movie that has a simply Awesome shot of Travoltas wife...good god almighty...pure heaven!!!!) 8 mile. Man On The Moon. Taxi Cab( I think is the name..Gary Busy says.."I will work any day except for Elvis birthday!) Lethal Weapon. oh and yes DETROIT ROCK CITY!!

Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:51 am

This is not a movie mention, but this afternoon I heard on ABC News the King of Jordan speaking of the whereabouts of Saddam Hussein. He said "It's a little like Elvis sightings...." Another example of Elvis's worldwide reach.

Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:17 am

Have a look at Coming To America. Notice Eddie Murphy's hand movements as he's about to leave the stage while dressed as a preacher.
Do you notice any similarity to Elvis' parting gesture from stage.
I reckon Eddie was watching his fuzzy old copy of Elvis In Concert before that one.
rick

Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:49 am

I just remembered the name of the Gary Busey film - D.C. Cab. It came out about 1983.
Busey also had a few Elvis lines in The Firm'. His secretary in the film was married to someone called Elvis Aaron who moved to Memphis to be close to Graceland.
rick

Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:35 am

Hey Rick, I noticed that too about Eddie Murphy. I know he is a huge Elvis fan. The Eddie Murphy raw begining with him in a limosine is very much like Elvis. I heard he did a monologue about Elvis could sing anything in a movie. Like lemonade or something. Which one was that?

Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:59 am

the Eddie Murphy concert your referring to is called: COMEDIAN. he says," I like Elvis Presley...I give credit too, when Elvis was young, he was a bad mutha ****, boy, Elvis was BAD, vicious and sh*t...he sang so good, they let him do movies, he couldn't act! they said "**** it, let him sing all his dialogue"...no, really, everything Elvis said..."hey Elvis, we gotta win this race"...(mocking Elvis) "we gotta win this race"! "Elvis want sum lemonade"?...(Eddie singing) "lemonade...that cool refreshing drink"! pretty funny stuff, but 20 years old now.

Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:08 am

thanks minkahed, I will be looking for it.

Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:36 pm

"I'll Be Home For Christmas" played at the end of LETHAL WEAPON.

how about the blatant Elvis-ness all over the film BYE BYE BIRDIE

Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:14 pm

Not to mention the Elvis feel and direct rip-offs seen in Top Secret. It's very funny, if you can find the new DVD release. Val Kilmer also played Elvis' ghost in True Romance.
rick

Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:54 pm

rick wrote:Have a look at Coming To America. Notice Eddie Murphy's hand movements as he's about to leave the stage while dressed as a preacher.
Do you notice any similarity to Elvis' parting gesture from stage.
I reckon Eddie was watching his fuzzy old copy of Elvis In Concert before that one.
rick

Rick- I love that.

Also, Chris Tucker does the same exact thing in one of the Rush Hours--I think it was RH 2, but I'm not certain. I was more surprised to see him do that than Eddie, given how big a fan Eddie is.

Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:58 pm

Hey Genesim,

now that you changed to that photo for your avatar, shouldn't you change your username to GENEKLE

Genekle

get it? :roll:

Elvis movie mentions

Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:34 pm

"Evel Knievel" with George Hamilton. He is standing in front of a mirror with one of his jumpsuits on and some one tells him how good he looks. Then he pulls on the collar and says, "Yeah, but do I look like Elvis?" Pretty funny.

Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:50 pm

I actually thought of that, but I can only be one name. genesim...what next chaimwi?!

eddiemurphy

Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:22 pm

the lemonade song is in the eddie murphy vhs called delerious

Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:48 pm

In "A Goofy Movie", there's a scene where Goofy and his son go into one of those country road cafe and we can see a fat 70s Elvis sitting in the bar.

Alberto

Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:39 pm

Don't forget Castaway with Tom Hanks. Talk about a pivotal placement of Elvis. Tom Hanks' character was an Elvis fan, you see Heart and Soul in the background in the very beginning with the woman listening to Elvis. "Tom" gets 50,000,000 Fans Can't Be Wrong for Christmas, there are 3 or so songs in the movie like Blue Christmas, I forget the other two. And in the end you know the two get together because of their mutual love for Elvis. GREAT MOVIE!!

TCB,
Rob S.

Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:40 pm

Keen Elvis watchers should have a look at the new Charlie's Angels sequel, particularly when there's a cinema backdrop.
rick