Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
brad
Registered for: 19 years

the 2ND tour that never took place

Post by brad »

We all know that a tour was supposed to start on August 17, 1977.

The Tour That Never Took Place:

Portland, Maine August 17th E/S
Portland, Maine August 18th E/S
Utica, New York August 19th E/S
Syracuse, New York August 20th E/S
Hartford, Connecticut August 21st E/S
Uniondale, New York August 22nd E/S
Lexington, Kentucky August 23rd E/S
Roanoke, Virginia August 24th E/S
Fayette, Tennessee August 25th E/S
Asheville, North Carolina August 26th E/S
Memphis, Tennessee August 27th E/S
Memphis, Tennessee August 28th E/S

But there was another tour AFTER this, but the details are illusive. I still have 2 floor tickets to Huntington West Virginia Civic Center on Sept. 22, 1977. You had your choice to keep the tickets (as souvineers) or get a refund....I think 10 people asked for a refund. Elvis was to open the new building (they got Tom Jones).

I brought this up on another forum last summer, everyone agreed that a Sept. Vegas gig was probablly in the works. But I have tracked down 2 other shows for September 1977:
Sept. 28 Savannaha Ga
Sept. ?? Biloxi Ms

Anyone have any knowlege of Scheduled/canceled shows AFTER August 28?

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

There was to be one Vegas engagement in '77.

It may have been September it may not have been that early, but you can find out roughly because the Hilton got the Ali fight instead after Elvis died.

This was for the all new showroom and was the resaon that Elvis hadn't performed in '77 in Vegas up to that point, they wanted to whet peoples appetite for the new showroom by having Elvis open it for his first show there in '77.

more info than that I don't know.

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by Renan »

As far as I know Elvis would do shows in December 77.....

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Marco Aurelio
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Re: the 2ND tour that never took place

Post by Marco Aurelio »

brad wrote:We all know that a tour was supposed to start on August 17, 1977.

The Tour That Never Took Place:

Portland, Maine August 17th E/S
Portland, Maine August 18th E/S
Utica, New York August 19th E/S
Syracuse, New York August 20th E/S
Hartford, Connecticut August 21st E/S
Uniondale, New York August 22nd E/S
Lexington, Kentucky August 23rd E/S
Roanoke, Virginia August 24th E/S
Fayette, Tennessee August 25th E/S
Asheville, North Carolina August 26th E/S
Memphis, Tennessee August 27th E/S
Memphis, Tennessee August 28th E/S

But there was another tour AFTER this, but the details are illusive. I still have 2 floor tickets to Huntington West Virginia Civic Center on Sept. 22, 1977. You had your choice to keep the tickets (as souvineers) or get a refund....I think 10 people asked for a refund. Elvis was to open the new building (they got Tom Jones).

I brought this up on another forum last summer, everyone agreed that a Sept. Vegas gig was probablly in the works. But I have tracked down 2 other shows for September 1977:
Sept. 28 Savannaha Ga
Sept. ?? Biloxi Ms

Anyone have any knowlege of Scheduled/canceled shows AFTER August 28?
That´s interesting Brad... Maybe one Las Vegas season should be in December as it was in 1975 and 1976..

How many stars are in the sky ???? I´LL NEVER KNOW!

Marco Aurelio
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Post by Marco Aurelio »

Another thing that I really don´t remember where or who told me, but I guess there would be one New Year´s concert like Pittsburgh and Pontiac, but this would be in Atlanta at the Omni Center... Any info ???

How many stars are in the sky ???? I´LL NEVER KNOW!

Topic author
brad

Post by brad »

Yes, good point. I too, seem to remember that Atlanta would host the 1977/78 New Years Eve show....Negotiations would have been in the works by mid August. I hate to say for sure, if not true. (and this email becomes an urban legend).

But my Uncle lived in Atlanta in August of 1977 and he sent me a large envelope of all the clippings from the Atlanta paper the week Elvis died. It might just be a case of the Omni manager was quoted as saying "we would have liked to have Elvis here on New Years Eve (or any other day)." Elvis played there a lot.....it gets my vote on the short list for that next New Years gig.

I could not believe that Pittsburgh was the choice of the 2nd New Years show. Pittsburgh is only a 90 minute drive from my house, I saw him there in 1973. But my dad was dead set against driving in Pittsburgh traffic on New Year's Eve so we didn't go....one of my true regrets in life.

But John Herman (lives/lived) in Uniontown (between my house and Pittsburgh) and he sent me a cassette of the show at the end of January 1977.

Ricky
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by Ricky »

Brad,
It was Fayetteville N.C not Tenn. But, was the Sept tour for real ?, I had front row tickets to Roanoke on the 24th...and I never heard about the next tour until after his death. What was the scheduled tour ???? Were tickets really sold?

Rob

Post by Rob »

Ricky wrote:It was Fayetteville N.C not Tenn.
You beat me to it.

You are correct in saying Elvis was to play Fayetteville, North Carolina and not Fayette, Tennessee.

Is there even an actual city in Tennessee named Fayette? I know there is a Fayette County, but never heard of the city.

John Walker
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by John Walker »

The September 1977 concerts have NOT been verified. Check out this site for a list of alleged concert (tickets)..http://www.elvis.org/

John

Topic author
brad

Post by brad »

Thanks for the Fayetteville correction!!!!

I'd never seen that ticket site before (thanks).

My two Sept. 22 Huntington Tickets have a hole (from a hole punch) in them (not 2 lines crossed out).