Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

REVIEW OF EVENT NUMBER 8 (NEVER PUT OUT ONE OF THESE BEFORE)

Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:54 pm

After seeing the post which mentionned the dodgy review on another Elvis site, I thought I'd post my own review of the cd. I wrote it last summer but have never let anyone see them before now so your comments would be greatly appreciated!

Are you sitting comfortably? Right, I will begin...

March 1974 saw Elvis' longest (and one of his best) tours. In 21 days the King gave 25 excellent shows. It's a period that, thankfully, has been quite well covered with three other fantastic soundboards available. The cd we have here is just as good and as interesting as the others for a variety of reasons. Firstly, it's a concert from the Houston Astrodome, the site of Elvis' first concerts after his return to live perfomance away from Las Vegas. Secondly, it was, at this point, the largest audience that he had ever played to - 43,974. Finally, and most interestingly, only the TCB Band and backing singers accompanied Elvis on stage which means nearly all the songs are different to normal. Added to this is the fact that the audience were a long, long way away. Consequently, Elvis and the band had to put even more into the show. It's clear that the audience are miles away because you can hardly hear them - they're obviously a great crowd though, really enjoying themselves.

Of course, there was no 2001 theme, probably a Tutt special. We join things at the end of the opening riff with Elvis already on stageand about to roll into See See Rider, which is very good. Elvis' voice is strong and the band is tight, maybe Sumner is too far forward in the mix at times, though. The sound is surprisingly excellent - it's a bit naughty at first and the massed chorus of backing singers tend to cause overload. However, apart from this it's clear - certainly an above average soundboard.

As you'd expect, I Got A Woman follows and it too is good. I've heard better '74 versions (March 20) but also much worse (September 2). Elvis' Amen is the best bit, especially with Tutt's drumming but, unfortunately, it is all over far too soon with Sumner's bass slide which isn't good at all for it's all you can hear (no audience). Weird!

We then hear a nice version of Love Me. As the fans are too far way, Elvis can't fool around at all, as he usually did on this "scarf" song. Burton and Hardin's musicianship stand out on this one.

We're then treated to one of the concert's highlights, namely one of the greatest performances in the seventies of Trying To Get to You. Elvis always sung this song with the respect it deserved. His voice is amazing, extermely powerful and fantastic backing from Tutt and Burton only improves it even more! It's perfectly paced and phrased and what's more you can hear the growl in Elvis' voice. Awsome! Even three years before his death, small group rock 'n' roll brought out the best in him.

All Shook Up has the hard task of folloeing such magic and of course it cannot be compared. That said, it's a good version, almost 90% focused though Elvis does miss some words but, compared to '75 and onwards it's dynamite! The "Please don't ask me..." verse is excellent!

Elvis then tells the audience that he'd like to sing a little of his first movie song Love Me Tender - very little! And he wasn't lying! As usual from '71 onwards this song runs for a minute -and -a- half - he was bored of most of his old hits, only singing them because the audience wanted to hear them (just listen to their reaction to this and Hound Dog). It's a good version though, and actually quite tender at times! Hardin's piano work is worthy of special mention.

Johnny Be Goode rocks in a way it soon wouldn't. Burton's lead guitar wory is magnificent, Elvis' vocal rocks and is focused. This song is full of energy and is , IMO, superior to the Aloha version. Charlie Hodge is audible on this one too as Elvis goes up and down the scale, riding the song.

The rock 'n' roll continues with Hound Dog. His foling around at the start is the most powerful and best bit, although when the song gets going it's not bad at all. It's quite energetic and Elvis appears to be slightly more engaged than usual. The funky ending must have contained lots of moving but the Memphis (March 20) version is better.

Elvis follows this with an enjoyable Fever. Bardwell is very good on this one as are Tutt and Hardin, with Elvis' excellent vocal exciting the fans even though he destroys the atmosphere with his falsetto "Elvis!" after the line "I light up when you call my name". It's all lapped up the crowd, particularily when Elvis moves which he must have done quite a bit as he informs everyone that he is dizzy.

During a great Polk Salad Annie you can tell that it's not Scheff on the bass but even without him the song sparkles! Burton's licks are spot on and Elvis is strong as always on this number. We get to hear a super group effort and the Sweets provide perfect backing vocals. It really is a wild version with Elvis certainly enjoying himself Tutt does a wonderful job driving the song with Bardwell and Wilkinson, and there's a long wind-up that really kicks ass! Elvis must have been shaking his thing, I tell ya and, do you know something? You don't even miss the brass section!

After such an energetic performance Elvis needs a breather so he gets J.D.Sumner and the Stamps to sing Why Me Lord. There's some tasty piano playing which helps to create quite a nice version (a compliment from me!). Elvis joins in on the chorus which is better the second time.

Hey folks, I've got to go - I'm being kicked off this computer. If I get positive feedback on what I've done so far I'll come back later and post the rest of the review.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:20 pm

Good written Andrew :!: I´ve enjoyed it very much....please post also the second part.

Kind regards,
Stefan

Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:35 pm

Andrew -
Please continue your review when time allows. I don't have this show, so I'm very interested in all the reviews of it.

Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:55 am

Very interesting review Andrew, thanks for that.

I look forward to reading the rest of it.

Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:59 am

I always like to read good reviews, because only reading one or two of 'em don't satisfy me usually. This one fits into that category, please post part II :D ... And after that, why not make another one?

Sat Jun 21, 2003 1:48 am

Nice review Andrew..
Although I don't have the actual cd,I do have a cd-r of it...you've inspired me to take a second listen as I've only ever listen to it once..
Looking forward to the second half of the review..

Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:39 am

Andrew as always a great read :!: .. and wha ta great review very well written. I like the way you broke the show down and gave each song a review... Maybe you should do this more often,, :wink: .. take care, chris

Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:11 pm

Thanks guys!

I'm on my lunchbreak now so I haven't really got the time to post the rest of it now- you'll have to wait until Monday!

I wrote some other reviews last year during the holidays and I'm going to write some more - when I do, I'll post them up too!

Have a great weekend!

Re:

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:24 am

londonflash wrote:Thanks guys!

I'm on my lunchbreak now so I haven't really got the time to post the rest of it now- you'll have to wait until Monday!

I wrote some other reviews last year during the holidays and I'm going to write some more - when I do, I'll post them up too!

Have a great weekend!

It's been nearly 9 years now. I have been waiting so patiently. Where is the rest of your review?

:D

Re: Re:

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:31 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Have a great weekend!

It's been nearly 9 years now. I have been waiting so patiently. Where is the rest of your review?

:D

That's one hell of a lunchbreak! :)

Re: REVIEW OF EVENT NUMBER 8 (NEVER PUT OUT ONE OF THESE BEF

Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:00 pm

Ain't in funny how times slips away.

I was 18 when I wrote that crap...greener than the grass and in my very early days as a fan. My diehard days when almost everything Elvis did was awesome, even My Boy.

Some of my comments in that review are way off the mark - cringeworthy in fact! I still think it's a decent gig, but from reading my hyperbolic ramblings I almost made it sound like the second coming! To say that Burton and Hardin's musicianship stood out on Love Me, of all things. What was I thinking / drinking / snorting?!?!?!

As for the rest of it, umm, I'm still working on it :D

Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:32 pm

Can't you pretend to be 10 years younger for a while just until you finished your review?
I recognize the idealism from my own younger days. :lol:

Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:35 pm

I had hair back then.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:07 pm

londonflash wrote:I still think it's a decent gig, but from reading my hyperbolic ramblings I almost made it sound like the second coming! To say that Burton and Hardin's musicianship stood out on Love Me, of all things. What was I thinking / drinking / snorting?!?!?!

I was once one of those. However, being a serious Elvis fan, as you obviously are, eventually opens our eyes to the sometimes harsh reality of how things really were. I do love the shows from the March tour of 1974. However, like you, We now realize that Elvis in 1974 was not the 'second coming."

Well, most do.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:04 pm

I was like that too, and I miss those days. I wish I still wore my rose-colored glasses and looked forward to each new soundboard with high anticipation. However, I rarely buy any soundboards at all these days. I am happy with what I've got. There was a mystique and a kind of fresh take on it all that's missing now that I've "heard it all".

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:17 pm

Glad it wasn't just me. It's interesting how my perceptions and tastes have changed since that 19 year old's naive musings.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:20 pm

londonflash wrote:Glad it wasn't just me. It's interesting how my perceptions and tastes have changed since that 19 year old's naive musings.

We all change but Elvis remains ,always there lurking in the background

Re:

Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:43 pm

Have a great weekend!

Must have been one hell of a lunch !

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:44 pm

londonflash wrote:Ain't in funny how times slips away.

I was 18 when I wrote that crap...greener than the grass and in my very early days as a fan. My diehard days when almost everything Elvis did was awesome, even My Boy.

Some of my comments in that review are way off the mark - cringeworthy in fact! I still think it's a decent gig, but from reading my hyperbolic ramblings I almost made it sound like the second coming! To say that Burton and Hardin's musicianship stood out on Love Me, of all things. What was I thinking / drinking / snorting?!?!?!

As for the rest of it, umm, I'm still working on it :D

There are notions about that we have the ES on this release, not the AS!

See -->
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57789

Re: Re:

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:34 am

dennyelvis wrote:

Have a great weekend!

Must have been one hell of a lunch !

I'm all for a long lunch, but ten years really takes the cake.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:55 am

Not everythings changed though.Davie Moyes is still Everton manager and they are in 6th place just one place better than the final 2002/3 table !

norrie

Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:12 pm

We, the hardcore collectors, are stuffed turkeys. :) We have gotten almost all the presents on a loooong Christmas Day, and are spoilt to death by FTD and Sony/BMG with all things Elvis. The only things left are deluxe blu-ray treatments of the concert films, and more FTD classic albums, really. I hope for some rare stuff and things like the truly complete Merry Christmas, Baby etc. but there's not much left, let alone things that can compete with wht we've already gotten. So I think we are over-the-hill. Still, snatching up the goodies here and there while going down-the-hill.

Nevertheless, I still appreciate and play Elvis a lot, almost daily. It's just that given the sheer amount of great sounding stuff, the appreciation for almost per definition lesser sounding soundboards, has lowered.
It's a good thing and probably smart for FTD to having released the bulk of the soundboards before the flood of the Complete Masters and everything that followed, and before the crisis.

I'm glad I got them all, but probably couldn't afford all of them (or appreciate them as much) NOW anymore, like I used to let's say 10 years ago.

I have given up on audience recordings. There are so many of them, and I have so many cd's and so little time, that I just given up on these.
I rather listen to self-made compilations of rare AR tracks, than listening to whole concerts in bad sound.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:34 pm

James27 wrote:I have given up on audience recordings. There are so many of them, and I have so many cd's and so little time, that I just given up on these. I rather listen to self-made compilations of rare AR tracks, than listening to whole concerts in bad sound.

I am one of the old dogs when it comes to concert collecting. To this day, I'd still rather hear an audience recording in bad sound as opposed to never hearing the show at all. As long as the audience recordings are available of shows that I do not have in my collection, or if the sound is upgraded, I will be adding it. While I appreciate FTD as much as anyone else, the label hasn't spoiled me as it has so many others.

I still remember the "old days" all too well.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:05 am

I still listen to them, on occasion, but rarely. With the exception of some of the very, very best IMO. But adding more audience recorded discs to my already too-large-to-handle collection, I can't afford it anymore, when I consider how little time is spent over the years actually listening to them. Many never get played anymore. Some do. The same can't be said of the FTD classic albums or the Venus unedited masters series, for example, or the occasional soundboard show.

I've started collecting bootlegs around the late 90s, so I have missed the "dry" years of the early 90s and 80s (and late 70s). I've always been Elvis-spoilt. :)

Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:15 pm

Yeah, but someday you're gonna be retired and you will have much more time to sit and enjoy things that you do not get a chance to do now. I, too, have CDs that I haven't listened to in years. I will have plenty to enjoy in the years ahead, God willing.

They can keep the audience recordings coming for as long as possible. This fan still welcomes them.