advice on 24 bit japan style cd's

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elvis_mania54545

advice on 24 bit japan style cd's

Post by elvis_mania54545 »

hi' just needing some advice on the best cd's from the 24 bit japan style cd's that were recently rereleased. which ones has sound that is the best out of all of them. im wondering for instance about elvis in memphis & back in memphis as well as elvis country? is sound improved? i have at madison sqare garden & elvis in person which r both great. thanks in advance for any help. :)

sasho

Post by sasho »

try to search the forum
there was a topic

My opinion Is that not much of them are worth It
Too much EQ
Also there are distortions on some of them /Aloha From Hawaii/
Everyone tells that the Elvis Christmas Album Is sounding best /they have found a master tapes/

Peter66

Post by Peter66 »

Raises On Rock is terrific. This really is a must, as it sounds so much better than anything before from this session.

In Person is way better than the normal version (similar in sound to Collectors Gold)

Elvis In Concert: first part (LP 1) is way better than the standard version while second part (LP 2) is disappointing.

TTWII, On Stage, Today, Elvis For Everyone are a bit different (louder) but I would not call them better. Interesting to have, but no must.

Peter

Topic author
elvis_mania54545

thanks but what about elvis in memphis & back in memphis also elvis country? thats the ones im wondering about. as for elvis christmas album does it have better sound than on the elvis christmas peace set? also moody blue better sound or not? thanks again

samses

Post by samses »

Where can I buy them?

iamhekev

Post by iamhekev »

ELVIS IN PERSON...

Always wanted to hear this cd in better mix/sound.

Good luck anyway.

KEV.

SAM...17.3.1955 to 24.1.2008

dougkapp

Post by dougkapp »

Something is not correct here: Raised on Rock and Elvis For Everyone was not released on 24bit. ROR was released on 1999, but it was 20bit technology the same for Today. (Elvis fool, Elvis Now, Love Letters from Elvis, Elvis Boulevard were released too on 20 bit technology)

I have Elvis Country 10.000 Years Old and From Elvis In Memphis, all arre slight better than BMG usual releases. The quality sound is very good in Elvis Country. Highly recomended for the collector.

drghanem
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...

Post by drghanem »

I bought the japanese-box a few weeks ago and the first thing that struck me, besides the awesome artwork, is the soundquality on all the discs. Some are differently mixed it seems, especially That´s The Way It Is sounds very good and slightly different than on any previous US or EU-pressing.
Elvis Christmas Album is SUPER, it has never sounded this clear. Better than any yuletide-release, Christmas Peace comes in second.
The Memphis CD´s are also great, especially From Elvis In Memphis, it´s as clear as it could be on these overdubbed masters. Moody Blue, yeah this one really rocks too, never tire of the title-cut, now that´s a pop-song now nearly ´bout!
Best Japanese live-release is undoubtedly As Recorded At Madison Square Garden, has a lot of punch and good middle.
I really recommend these Japanese-CD´s to everyone collecting and enjoying the music of The Greatest. If only I knew these CD´s would be released, then I would have saved a lot of money by not picking up previous inferior pressings from other countries. But hey, that´s the wonderful world of collecting Elvis music.
These are the game!

"I´m limp as a rag, worn out when a show´s over". Elvis in Tacoma, fall 1957.
Long, Lonely Highway, by Ger Rijff (Tutti Frutti productions, 1985)

Peter66

Post by Peter66 »

Sorry dougkapp, you are correct.

My editions do neither mention 20 bit nor 24 bit mastering. But the sound on RoR is as written above.

Peter

moodyblue1

Re: advice on 24 bit japan style cd's

Post by moodyblue1 »

elvis_mania54545 wrote:hi' just needing some advice on the best cd's from the 24 bit japan style cd's that were recently rereleased. which ones has sound that is the best out of all of them. im wondering for instance about elvis in memphis & back in memphis as well as elvis country? is sound improved? i have at madison sqare garden & elvis in person which r both great. thanks in advance for any help. :)

Elvis' Christmas Album is a definite must as it contains the complete version of "Silent Night' (with piano intro and all)

Topic author
elvis_mania54545

i do have madison sqare garden and the sound is great and blows away the orginal in sound. so how about back in memphis can anyone tell me if its got great sound as from elvis in memphis :?: guys thank you for your input. :D as for were you can get them i usually buy from cd universe here in usa but these r on amazon,ebay, etc.

Topic author
elvis_mania54545

thanks, i have heard that some were great in sound and some were not. like elvis in concert i had heard it at one time and thought it sounded same as orginal. only wont the ones that stand out with a sound that surpasses the orginal. thanks again :D

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

elvis_mania54545 wrote:thanks, i have heard that some were great in sound and some were not. like elvis in concert i had heard it at one time and thought it sounded same as orginal. only wont the ones that stand out with a sound that surpasses the orginal. thanks again :D
I actually had a chance to compare "In the ghetto" from the Japanese Singles Collection box set with the new DSD remaster as released on "Elvis by the Presleys".

While they definitely share similar equalization characteristics, the new DSD transfer adds another dimension of analog warmth to the song that the Japanese 20/24-bit transfers can't quite match.

I believe it'll be a matter of time before the entire back catalogue is getting DSD upgrades from BMG, now that Sony is in charge of the mastering. They have done a tremendous job on the Hitstory 3 CD set.

Topic author
ML4EP

Post by ML4EP »

I have MSG, In Person, and On Stage. The sound is much better on In Person & On Stage. MSG is fantastic, the rhythym section kicks ass on numbers like Proud Mary, Suspicious Minds, Polk Salad, etc. No comparison to the US release.

Topic author
elvis_mania54545

oh yes the madison sqare garden cd is fantastic,i have that one & it does rock. the us release was pathetic & flat.

sasho

Post by sasho »

at first I was very positively about japan papersleeve cds
I did buy Moody Blue which Is much more better than the 1989 USA release at least because of the missed 5 sec on the begining of She Thinks I Still Care
What I did not like about japan papersleeves Is The too much EQ add
and also most of they are not using original master tapes
If you want Memphis albums In their best sound Then you have to buy Memphis Record
Here you can find some thoughts on memphis recordings and japan papersleeves

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=53580&highlight

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=45109&highlight

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Wow, according to an opinion on those links the mid 80s Japanese releases are the ones to consider for the most original sound. I have a copy of the Japanese Live On Stage In Memphis released in 1986 and it does indeed sound good. Anyone else have any Japanese CDs from this time?

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Matthew wrote:Wow, according to an opinion on those links the mid 80s Japanese releases are the ones to consider for the most original sound. I have a copy of the Japanese Live On Stage In Memphis released in 1986 and it does indeed sound good. Anyone else have any Japanese CDs from this time?
I have the original LOSIM, Moody Blue and Elvis In Concert japanese paper-sleeve CD's.
LOSIM has too much noise, Moody Blue is as good as the US version and
EIC is marginally better on the tracks from the original LP1...
as Peter66 suggests LP2 is just as bad as the US version...
It's strange that the Rapid City tracks are so different from LP1 to LP2???

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

elvis-fan wrote:
Matthew wrote:Wow, according to an opinion on those links the mid 80s Japanese releases are the ones to consider for the most original sound. I have a copy of the Japanese Live On Stage In Memphis released in 1986 and it does indeed sound good. Anyone else have any Japanese CDs from this time?
I have the original LOSIM, Moody Blue and Elvis In Concert japanese paper-sleeve CD's.
LOSIM has too much noise, Moody Blue is as good as the US version and
EIC is marginally better on the tracks from the original LP1...
as Peter66 suggests LP2 is just as bad as the US version...
It's strange that the Rapid City tracks are so different from LP1 to LP2???
The guy on that forum is talking about the mid 80s standard Japanese releases, not the 2000-2001 paper sleeve editions.

moodyblue1

Post by moodyblue1 »

neckywoudje wrote:I have the japanese PaperSleeve of Back In Memphis. The sound is terrible! It has too much hiss and high notes. Sound like 6th generation tapes to me. Same goes for His Hand In Mine.

Also the Army albums sound terrible. Too much echo on these...but probably the LP's sounded the same bach then. I guess RCA added some echo to let them sound the same on the lp's.

But Raised On Rock is absolutely amazing!!! That one sounds really great, that's a must have (20 bit jewel case)...fits perfectly with the Promised Land upgraded remixed version of a few years back.

I'm tempted in getting the Japanese ROR album, but at the same time FTD plans on releasing a 2 CD deluxe as they have with "Today".

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

:)
Last edited by Juan Luis on Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
elvis_mania54545

yes im in same boat im tempted to get rasied on rock japan also. see now im wondering when they will get around to raised on rock on ftd. and my girlfriend will think im nuts. :) wont be first time though :D :D

AlwaysOnMyMind_05

Post by AlwaysOnMyMind_05 »

elvis_mania54545 wrote:yes im in same boat im tempted to get rasied on rock japan also. see now im wondering when they will get around to raised on rock on ftd. and my girlfriend will think im nuts. :) wont be first time though :D :D
really honey... :wink:

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

AlwaysOnMyMind_05 wrote:
elvis_mania54545 wrote:yes im in same boat im tempted to get rasied on rock japan also. see now im wondering when they will get around to raised on rock on ftd. and my girlfriend will think im nuts. :) wont be first time though :D :D
really honey... :wink:

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Here's a question: how much would you (anyone) pay for a complete set of 30?