Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis at the Superdome canceled?

Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:31 am

I posted this on the other board too but need an accurate answer. Not just some guessing.

Did Elvis ever do a concert at the now infamous New Orleans Superdome? I ask because I was watching this news story on the Superdome possibly being torn down due to Hurican Katrina and the aftermath and fallout and they were talking about past events that took place there and they mentioned Elvis once was scheduled to do a sellout show there in '77 at the Superdome in New Orleans. Was this show they are talking about supposed to be on his next tour, after he died? Or was it canceled before he died?

I'm just curious. My cousin saw it too and she was an evacuee there and was curious too, so I told her I would find out for her.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:53 am

Would it be enough to beat Pontiac public since we know it was his biggest audience? I guess it was 62.500 people right?

Without a doubt it would have been nice.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:25 am

Hey I read something about the Pontiac Silverdome being torn down sometime next year but I've heard nothing about the Louisiana Superdome being torn down. I've never heard anything about Elvis doing a concert at the Superdome :? After what happened in Pontiac, Michigan at the Silverdome I'd be sure that he would never want to play at another big stadium again :lol:

Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:28 am

Very cold weather inside his pants.

Re: Elvis at the Superdome canceled?

Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:58 am

Lakeisha wrote:Did Elvis ever do a concert at the now infamous New Orleans Superdome? .

No, he never did a concert in New Orleans.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:16 pm

Lakeisha wrote:I posted this on the other board too but need an accurate answer. Not just some guessing.

Did Elvis ever do a concert at the now infamous New Orleans Superdome? I ask because I was watching this news story on the Superdome possibly being torn down due to Hurican Katrina and the aftermath and fallout and they were talking about past events that took place there and they mentioned Elvis once was scheduled to do a sellout show there in '77 at the Superdome in New Orleans. Was this show they are talking about supposed to be on his next tour, after he died? Or was it canceled before he died?

I'm just curious. My cousin saw it too and she was an evacuee there and was curious too, so I told her I would find out for her.

Planned tour for August 17, 1977 - August 28, 1977 after an almost 2 months long rest since June 26:

Portland, ME Augsut 17 & 18
Utica, NY August 19
Syracuse, NY August 20
Hartford, CT August 21
Uniondale, NY August 22
Lexington, KY August 23
Roanoke, VA August 24
Fayetteville, TN August 25
Asheville, NC August 26
Memphis, TN August 27 & 28

Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:29 pm

New Orleans performances:

October 22, 1954* "The Old Barn Dance", Golden Cadillac Club, St. Claude Avenue
February 4, 1955* see October 22, 1954**
May 1, 1955 "Hank Snow's All Star Jamboree", Municipal Auditorium 5:00 and 8:00 p.m.
September 1, 1955 "Second Annual Hillbilly Jamboree", Lake Pontchartrain Beach amusement area (show started at 7:00 p.m., Elvis performed at 9:30 p.m.)
August 12, 1956*** Municipal Auditorium (with 13,000 people in a 10,000 seat facility) 4:00 and 8:15 p.m.

* there is no firm evidence of Elvis' New Orleans engagements in 1954 and early 1955
**Ann Raye recalls that she and Elvis also performed one evening show at Jesuit High School
*** opening acts for Elvis: Frankie Connors & Nancy Ford (singers), The Headliners (instrumental group), Frankie Maraquin (comedian-impressionist) and The Jordanaires.

Source: All shook up, Elvis day by day 1954-1977, Second Edition, by Lee Cotten (a book no fan should be without!)

Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:45 pm

Never heard of this story but it might be true..
I'm sure Elvis didn't like those kind of venues..

I wonder why Elvis didn't play New Orleans in the 70s.

Cheers, Robert

Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:33 pm

New Orleans must be the only major US city he did'nt play. I'm sure he would have sold out there as well as everywhere else.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:52 pm

bray1977 wrote:New Orleans must be the only major US city he did'nt play. I'm sure he would have sold out there as well as everywhere else.

Parker was perhaps worried that some of the potential audience might still be sore over the 'clean my shoes' comments attributed to Elvis.

Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:05 am

ColinB wrote:
bray1977 wrote:New Orleans must be the only major US city he did'nt play. I'm sure he would have sold out there as well as everywhere else.

Parker was perhaps worried that some of the potential audience might still be sore over the 'clean my shoes' comments attributed to Elvis.

A comment that Elvis never made at that. :cry:

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know if he ever performed there or not. They said he canceled the show. So maybe it was one of those "in negotion" type of deals that fell through or something at the last minute.

Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:59 pm

I have never heard of any plans to feature Elvis at The Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans.

However, the President of the Dome from 1975 to 1986 was Cliff Wallace who prior to this was Assistant Director of The Von Braun Civic Centre in Huntsville Alabama where Elvis performed five sell-out shows in 1975. These shows were, according to Wallace, a special achievement as the population of Huntsville at that time was only 143,000.

Bearing the above in mind, I suspect that Wallace would have had Elvis in his sights to appear at The Superdome during the late seventies.

Brian :)

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:52 am

Leo wrote:Hey I read something about the Pontiac Silverdome being torn down sometime next year but I've heard nothing about the Louisiana Superdome being torn down. I've never heard anything about Elvis doing a concert at the Superdome :? After what happened in Pontiac, Michigan at the Silverdome I'd be sure that he would never want to play at another big stadium again :lol:

What happened at the Silverdome? I was there for that show, and don't remember anything bad happening that would make Elvis forgo big venues again. What's the story?
spike

Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:40 am

Spike, Elvis didn't like the set up of the stage, as he didn't "connect" with his band. (The band was at the lower stage..)

Many stories want us to believe it was also very cold in the stadium that evening.. (who cares)
Also, there were complaints about the sound.. but listening to the audience recordings the only problem was the sound on stage.. (Elvis couldn't hear himself, and had to start "My Way" all over for example)
Maybe you can judge if the sound in the Silversome was OK..

Also he had to change his jumpsuit, which wasn't planned!

Personally, I think the scarf and kissing routine was also difficult with a huge stage set-up that evening..

Spike, tell us about your memories...

Cheers, Robert

Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:44 am

Hey speaking of the Silverdome concert can someone please tell me where I can find an audience recording of it?

Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:56 am

Elvis preferred smaller venues. He only played two superdomes - Pontiac and Astradome.

Cliff Wallace is currently working with Charles Stone and some Elvis impersonater at the moment.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:04 am

If Elvis had cancelled a sold-out performance at the Superdome 'last minute', it would have been news and fans would still be talking about it to this day. Elvis was playing much smaller markets and venues for the most part in 1977. It is safe to assume he was never booked at the Superdome.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:34 am

midnightx wrote:If Elvis had cancelled a sold-out performance at the Superdome 'last minute', it would have been news and fans would still be talking about it to this day. Elvis was playing much smaller markets and venues for the most part in 1977. It is safe to assume he was never booked at the Superdome.

So then why did they say Elvis was scheduled to perform there, but the show was canceled?

Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:38 am

Lakeisha wrote:Did Elvis ever do a concert at the now infamous New Orleans Superdome?

He never played in the Superdome nor was he ever scheduled to.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:51 pm

So then why did they say Elvis was scheduled to perform there, but the show was canceled?

Who is 'They'? It never was scheduled.

Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:29 am

Robert wrote:Spike, Elvis didn't like the set up of the stage, as he didn't "connect" with his band. (The band was at the lower stage..)

Many stories want us to believe it was also very cold in the stadium that evening.. (who cares)
Also, there were complaints about the sound.. but listening to the audience recordings the only problem was the sound on stage.. (Elvis couldn't hear himself, and had to start "My Way" all over for example)
Maybe you can judge if the sound in the Silversome was OK..

Also he had to change his jumpsuit, which wasn't planned!

Personally, I think the scarf and kissing routine was also difficult with a huge stage set-up that evening..

Spike, tell us about your memories...

Cheers, Robert

Well, it was a long time ago, but I don't remember the sound being bad. Maybe it's the whole "Wow! I'm seeing Elvis live!" thing, where you're so excited,it's all good. I often hear people say it wasn't a good show, but we thought it was great and heard no complaints from anyone leaving the arena.
It's funny, because I didn't remember many details until I got an audience recording of the show, and then I could remember lots, including Elvis' stage banter, etc. I remember E splitting his pants, but couldn't tell you where in the show it occured.I do remember his backup jumpsuit was ugly, with those puffy sleeves.
I was at the Detroit '77 show also, and there was mention in the papers of it being a bad show, but still we thought it was good. Like I said , we were seeing Elvis "live" and that was good enough.
spike

Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:32 am

spike wrote:I was at the Detroit '77 show also, and there was mention in the papers of it being a bad show, but still we thought it was good.

You're right. The newspaper in Detroit the next day really ripped his performance apart. The review for his Milwaukee performance a few days later was also nothing flattering. Was it justified? I don't know because I didn't see him until May 21st in Louisville. However, here's the review of the Milwaukee performance.

The Milwaukee Journal
April 28, 1977

Fans Of Elvis Pay a Lot to See Little
by Damien Jaques

Elvis Presley shattered a lot of myths and made a lot of money at the Arena Wednesday night.

A sellout crowd of 11,854 persons paid $167,272.50 to see Elvis, the largest gross purse ever for a noncharity concert at the Arena, but that was only part of the story.

Elvis also cut himself down to size, exploded all the myths about his being the greatest, the true superstar of rock'n'roll. He received some of the wildest adulation ever given an entertainer in Milwaukee, but the screaming women who clawned their way to the stage couldn't cover up the half hearted performance Elvis delivered.

This is a Superstar?

The greatest superstar doesn't get lost in the middle of a song and have the band start over. He doesn't carry sheets of paper on stage because he doesn't know the lyrics to a song, and the ask the audience to forgive him if he makes a mistake.

He doesn't mumble and swallow lyrics, sing so softly at times that he can't be heard and play almost exclusively to the few rows in front of the stage. And the greatest superstar doesn't walk off stage after 70 minutes of all of this, failing to return for even one encore.

Elvis did all of those things Wednesday night.

It was puzzling performance. One really wanted Elvis to do better. Flashbulbs turned the darkened Arena to daylight as thousands of Instamatic cameras were aimed at the stage.

The people had paid a lot of money - $12.50 and $15 - for tickets, and they wanted to see Elvis at his Las Vegas best. But from the very start it seemed Presley was more interested in the several hundred women who were trying to fight their way to the stage than the thousands who sat peacefully in their seats.

Performances by a comedian, a gospel quartet and a trio of black female singers preceded Elvis on stage.

With much fanfare, Elvis walked on stage and immediately strode to the edge of the platform. He took a ukulele from a woman who handed it to him, and shook a few hands.

Uniformed security officers guarding the stage were in tough hand to hand combat with the women who wanted to storm the stage. Presley sang "C.C. Rider," and was in the middle of the second number when a little man dressed in a bright blue suit handed him a cup of water and started putting scarfs around his neck.

Elvis would wear a scarf about five seconds, then whip it off and throw it into the front rows. The women went wild, and Elvis laughed and mumbled something.

Several women jumped on stage, and one was thrown backward off the platform by a guard. Front row combat grew worse, and Elvis seeemed preoccupied with the havoc he was causing by throwing the scarfs, like broken bread to ducks in a pond, into the audience.

Finally, police officers moved in front of the stage and the pandemonium subsided. Elvis moved through a medley, and mixed rockers like "Jailhouse Rock" with new pop numbers. He wailed on a few, roared on a few others and purred through a couple of ballads.

It was while introducing one of those pop numbers, Paul Anka's "My Way," that Elvis delivered his heaviest insult to the audience. He announced that he didn't know the lyrics and would have to read them.

He also asked the audience to forgive him if he made a mistake. Strangely, he didn't seem to really need the written lyrics he held in his hand. He read the first few lines and then sang the song from memory.

Soon he was back to handing out more scarfs, and after 70 minutes he rushed off stage. An announcer told the audience that Elvis had left the arena.

If the audience felt hustled and conned, they had a right to those feelings. The announcer constantly pushed.

"Elvis super souvenirs" that were being sold by vendors before the show.

Among the items the announcer argued everyone to buy were in Elvis necklace for $5, a portrait "just like an oil painting" for $5 and a "limited edition" gold belt buckle for $10.

The audience was probably the most mixed group of people who would ever assemble for one event. Teenagers, grandmothers, packs of women out for a night on the town and entire families attended.

Hair teased into beehives and ironed into long straight strands could be seen. Men with Elvis haircuts and men with long shaggy locks sat side by side.

They all deserved better.

Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:24 am

The Milwauki show is very good. The only exception is the false start on Mountain, otherwise it is a standout performance for 1977, or any year.