Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

David Bendeth Interview

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:11 am

This is an interview with David Bendet and Ray Bardani about the mixing of "30 #1 Hits" ....

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/printer ... dani.shtml

Well, reading it I thought: okay! It was an experiment and it still is an outstanding work, isn't it?

30#1 hits is the only compilation you can't mix with other recordings, because the sound is so unique. It may not be a sound who is historically correct, but that was never the aim of the team!

In fact, they wanted to create a new sound that was modern - and somehow they succeeded, didn't they!?

I'm really looking forward to my DSD-Hitstory, but the original is something very special ....

and this quote from Bendeth says it all, you've got to pay tribute to a statement like this:

"Well, we've never worked with an artist of this magnitude before. And I don't know if we were the “right” guys to do it or not."

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:35 am

A lot of work. I guess the problem was mastering too loud. In the vinyl days the 45 RPM singles were always louder than the same versions on the LP. They rocked!

Re: David Bendeth Interview

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:09 pm

etp wrote:I'm really looking forward to my DSD-Hitstory, but the original is something very special ....

Hm, that's funny, since the DSD version is actually a faithful reproduction of the *original* masters!

There was never anything original about E1/E2 in the first place, it was just an attempt to use digital technology and present the material in a different light, kind of like what they did with "The Memphis Record" in the 80's.

I was really surprised to see BMG give in to the loudness race with E1/E2 when they were already on such a good path with their venture with Sony (which they are continuing today with just fabulous DSD releases).

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:16 pm

thenexte;

Did I see your name on the Steve Hoffman forum....or is it just my memory playing tricks on me ?

He has a great forum for people interessted in sound !

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:21 pm

I am just as much an audiophile as anyone. But for the mp3 generation or someone that just listens to music in his/her car the E1 etc is a Godsend.Or if you just want to blast Elvis at a party . You cant get better than that! :smt035

Re: David Bendeth Interview

Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:17 pm

thenexte wrote:There was never anything original about E1/E2 in the first place, it was just an attempt to use digital technology and present the material in a different light, kind of like what they did with "The Memphis Record" in the 80's.

There may not be nothing all that original about it, but to compare it to the Memphis Record may be a little cruel...
Bendeth did a LOT of work to produce those mixes, miking rooms with speakers in them to get a great "room sound" on those early records. I'm sure anybody familiar with making mixes can appreacite how much more work seemed to go into the disc compared to what was done on Memphis Record.

Axe

Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:25 pm

Rick Rowe did a lot of work on the Memphis Record and was the first to TRY to modernize the Elvis sound at the time. Everyone has learned from the past mistakes I think. Right up to the present at Sony.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:17 am

the suspicious minds flanging was criminal on benedeths part.

how could he approve that failed attempt at a "remix" when the horns were mixed in live during the stereo mixdown.

i threw my copy of E1 in the trash. a piece of crap.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:57 am

Rick Rowes work on the Memphis Records was not that bad...matter of fact...some mixes are more pleasent to listen to in headphones than the originals and some were alternate takes as well....I just wish he had done a 2 disc set of ALL the memphis sessions....as for E1(30 #1 Hits) there is distortion and a muffled sound in some tracks.... a few do sound good but overall the E1 sound is much worse....what Kevan Budd has done for the Sun Sessions is EXCELLENT and probably the BEST by far of any mastering.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:05 am

Deke Rivers II wrote:Rick Rowes work on the Memphis Records was not that bad...matter of fact...some mixes are more pleasent to listen to in headphones than the originals and some were alternate takes as well....I just wish he had done a 2 disc set of ALL the memphis sessions....as for E1(30 #1 Hits) there is distortion and a muffled sound in some tracks.... a few do sound good but overall the E1 sound is much worse....what Kevan Budd has done for the Sun Sessions is EXCELLENT and probably the BEST by far of any mastering.
You have to add Sebastian Jeansson to the SUN work also and on Elvis Is Back FTD.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:00 am

Well, guys, what I wanted to say in my statement was:

the E1 may not be the difnitive mix of Elvis' Greatest Hits, but it is something special. The attempt to transfer Elvis' music to a new generation.

The mp3-example makes that clear: actually, every piece of music seems to be loud and compressed to death - and that's a need if most of the youngsters listen to their music in the mp3 format!

So: it was a modern sound for Elvis' hits and that supported his legacy.

PLUS: Bendeth did want to make it right. He did put a lot of work into the remastering. So, you should pay tribute to it.

Overall, I prefer the acutla DSD-remastering - but imagine how it's gona be in 8 years: maybe we fans will look back at this 2-volume collection and say: well, that was a burner back then! It has something special - yiu can't compile these masters with other non-boosted masters ...

Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:47 am

I see your points that the E1 might be a little too compressed and everything, but I'm among those who absolutely love the sound of E1. Have you ever listened to this CD with good headphones? When the 60s tracks start with Stuck on you, it's like the sound is so "wide" that it uses all of your headphones. Great!
I find E1 to be a very rocking album, really great for listening when out walking with my MP3 player.
When listening to the E1 tracks compared to the tracks released on the "Elvis in the 90s" CDs, I must say that I really prefer the E1 tracks.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:11 pm

I am sorry...I did not know that Sebastian helped Kevan remaster the Sun Sessions......His work on Elvis Is Back is wonderful and appreciated....I haven't listened to Elvis is Back as often as the Sun work and Memphis Sessions...didn't mean to overlook it.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:14 pm

I liked E1 over the 2nd vol for sound.Like everything else some new or better sounds will come a long,like DSD.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:42 pm

E1 was awesome. The job they did was incredible, especially on the older classics like Hound Dog and such. Judging by the finished product and it's results, I'd say they were the "right guys to do it".

Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:03 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:the suspicious minds flanging was criminal on benedeths part.

how could he approve that failed attempt at a "remix" when the horns were mixed in live during the stereo mixdown.

i threw my copy of E1 in the trash. a piece of crap.

How over the top can you get? Even if it was true, is that anyway
to speak about even an Elvis Pickwick or Camden release?
Utterly ridiculous. I agree with many of the criticisms many m
made of E1 but let's have a little perspective...!

For those who missed it, Mr. Bendeth (for now) has returned to FECC
and engaged in conversation about the release this morning:

Here's the link:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... highlight=

:idea:
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:38 am

Deke Rivers II wrote:I am sorry...I did not know that Sebastian helped Kevan remaster the Sun Sessions......His work on Elvis Is Back is wonderful and appreciated....I haven't listened to Elvis is Back as often as the Sun work and Memphis Sessions...didn't mean to overlook it.
I was corrected by kevan Budd himself on another thread. You are correct Deke Rivers II.