Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:09 pm

midnightx wrote:
I gather you havent heard the 2005 Hitstory version(Steamroller Blues). That really lacks everything it did(1973) and much more of it today.

JLGB, No. There is no reason to pick up this lame compilation and support BMG's efforts in their endless desire to repackage. However, if the sound is worse than on the 98 remix of Aloha, it once again proves that BMG is ruining the King's recording legacy on their mainstream label releases.

Yeah, Eddie Kramer would be the right man for the job!

MB280E, as you know, there are some great engineers out there that have done marvelous work mixing live material. Certainly Dennis Ferrante is not one of them, IMO. Maybe a bunch of fans should sign a petition for a brilliant producer/engineer (like Kramer) to finally mix an Elvis show and send it to BMG?! At least they would once again see that there is a problem and that there are solutions.
I am not looking for a well known engineer to put his signature on the Elvis recordings. Just someone that can faithfully reproduce the original recorded (not mixed 70s) tracks. And the main reason I buy all the re-packaged Elvis releases is to know what is being done to the latest Elvis recordings. That is how I found the Billboard Hound Dog way back in the early 90s. I do not expect anyone to do that or even want to do this. Thats just me. :wink:

Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:16 am

With EJ reading posts on this board...dont think a cd would need to be sent?.

Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:37 am

minkahed wrote:...And for once, you can actually hear that Elvis had a drummer in his band. check out the mix on Ronnie's snare drum from the '98 cd. it's krackin'...

Right on there, Minker. That was the first thing which hit me when I got that CD. Ol' Ronnie was a "thwackin' em"!!!

Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:02 am

I am not looking for a well known engineer to put his signature on the Elvis recordings.

Well, Kramer isn't the type to put a signature on recordings, he simply is one of the best around and can certainly mix a quality live album. A faithful mix of the original is certainly something Kramer could do, but the original certainly isn't without flaws.

Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:27 am

midnightx wrote:
Well, Kramer isn't the type to put a signature on recordings, he simply is one of the best around and can certainly mix a quality live album. A faithful mix of the original is certainly something Kramer could do, but the original certainly isn't without flaws.
I take it you mean original multi tracks unmixed. Because the faithful original mix is already out there in the Hitstory set. And great if Kramer can do it, but another less known engineer could do a good job also.