Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Jailhouse Rock '76

Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:31 am

Well, I know we've all discussed and dissected, many, many times over at how Elvis threw away and ran thru his old RCA hits in his 1970's concerts, and for the most part, I agree.

Now, while I do think that of all the versions I have heard of Elvis singing Jailhouse in '77 were jus hideous, I played my Old Times Are Not Forgotten cd tonite on my way home from work.

I jus love this disc and it's great sound. the ambience is perfect.

Elvis' voice, IMHO, does show signs of weakness thruout, but in all fairness, I think he gives a decent performance. I haven't heard this '76 version of Jailhouse in a long while, and I gotta say, I thought it was pretty damn good.

If Elvis had only kept this slighty slower tempo of Jailhouse, instead of rushin' it and skipping the next 3 verses, it would have been a complete show stopper :!:

now, of course, I certainly don't think this '76 performance, in any way, stands up to the brilliant RCA 1957 MASTER, (I love Alternate TAKE 4, by the way :D ), or even the great, great version found on the '68 Comeback television special, but I found myself jus jammin' and singin' along with this in the car...

I also recently discovered the "JAILHOUSE ROCK" of '76 performed on the Rockin' Across Texas cd 2 and that version, IMHO, is probably the second best I've heard to the one recorded in Tuscaloosa.

Anyone else agree :?:

I've often wondered why Elvis showed much more interest and respect to the original SUN records he performed during his 70's shows, as opposed to the heavily edited, rushed, speed tempo, get outta my face, versions of his early RCA classics... :roll:

Re: Jailhouse Rock '76

Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:39 am

minkahed wrote: I played my Old Times Are Not Forgotten cd tonite on my way home from work.

Didn't we have this little talk before? No Elvis import or FTD CD's are allowed to be played in an automobile.

Buy you books and buy you books and all you do is rip out the pages!

I'm assuming you're listening to a CD-R, right? In that case, it's ok.

Re: Jailhouse Rock '76

Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:41 am

Rob wrote:
minkahed wrote: I played my Old Times Are Not Forgotten cd tonite on my way home from work.

I'm assuming you're listening to a CD-R, right? In that case, it's ok.

of course silly :wink: :lol:

Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:51 am

I like the Rockin Across Texas version better (than Old Times..). Performance wise and sound on Jaihouse Rock.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:11 am

Whoever tweeked the sound on this soundboard minkahed, should be hired by FTD to do their releases! The sound is great on the CD, even though the perfomance is less than stellar. It's not Elvis at his best, but still a very good disc..... actaully if I was going to play one of my '76 discs to somone I would probably pick this one or "Hot Winters Nite In Dallas". Yes the CD in the Texas book is also very good. These are probably about the 3 best soundwise from 1976 concerts.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:10 am

You forgot "Holding Back The Years", JEFF d. The sound quality on that one is also fantastic. An essential disc.

Mink, I'm also a big fan of "Old Times". It's probably the best bootleg ever released. The sound quality is 100% PERFECT and I actually love EP's performance too, I don't agree at all with the negative reviews of this show. "My Heavenly Father" by Kathy Westmoreland makes the show even better.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:22 am

Quote:

I've often wondered why Elvis showed much more interest and respect to the original SUN records he performed during his 70's shows, as opposed to the heavily edited, rushed, speed tempo, get outta my face, versions of his early RCA classics...

Not necessarily so. There are several RCA songs from the 50's that Elvis often gave good versions of in his 70's concerts.

I got a woman
Heartbreak hotel
Lawdy miss clawdy
Teddy Bear
One night
My baby left me
Big hunk o love
And a few others.

Yes he did rush and just threw away usually

Hound dog
Don't be cruel
Blue suede shoes
Jailhouse Rock
All shook up

Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:47 pm

I must agree with JLGB, the tempo and clearly audible piano on the FTD make it the best 76 version of Jailhouse Rock released so far.

I prefer Still Rocking The Nation over Old Times Are Not Forgotten, even though the sound is poorer. The addition of Thats All Right and Blue Christmas with Elvis on his acoustic guitar improved the quality of shows from this tour.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:15 pm

I'm a big fan of Old Times and Jailhouse Rock is a pretty decent version for 70's shows indeed......but compared with let's say the version of Love Letters on this CD.........I get shivers all over (pleasant ones!) everytime I hear this song

Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:57 pm

The band played Jailhouse nice and hard. Listen to Spring Tours for the best version. Same goes for Polk Salad. Elvis sounds like he's having fun and the group is driving him along.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:00 pm

ekenee wrote:Quote:

I've often wondered why Elvis showed much more interest and respect to the original SUN records he performed during his 70's shows, as opposed to the heavily edited, rushed, speed tempo, get outta my face, versions of his early RCA classics...

Not necessarily so. There are several RCA songs from the 50's that Elvis often gave good versions of in his 70's concerts.

I got a woman
Heartbreak hotel
Lawdy miss clawdy
Teddy Bear
One night
My baby left me
Big hunk o love
And a few others.

Hound dog
Don't be cruel
Blue suede shoes
Jailhouse Rock
All shook up

I agree on the others, but Teddy Bear? He murders it.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:07 pm

In general I like the 50´s songs in the 70´s.....

Teddy Bear - Don´t Be Cruel is fantastic, mainly in the Hampton Roads concerts in 1972;

Blue Suede Shoes - from MSG concerts it is great! August 12th, 1970 is terrific;

Hound Dog - Ok, Elvis rushes the song but I just love it;

All Shook Up - Sounds so good to me!

Jailhouse Rock - In 1969 Elvis did a good job and in 1977 the same goes.....Ronnie Tutt killer drums are magnific!

Good topic.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:16 pm

ekenee wrote:Quote:

I got a woman
Heartbreak hotel
Lawdy miss clawdy
Teddy Bear
One night
My baby left me
Big hunk o love
And a few others.

Hound dog
Don't be cruel
Blue suede shoes
Jailhouse Rock
All shook up

Teddy Bear :?: , you can knock that tune off that list as of right now :!:

Lawdy Miss Clawdy, was rarely, if ever performed, in '76/'77, same goes for My Baby Left Me and A Big Hunk 'o Love, so again, knock those tunes down.

His versions of Heartbreak Hotel during the late 70's , IMHO, are mediocre at best ...(no sparks or fire, if u will).

when I said "early RCA Hits", I meant jus that, his "Biggest", meaning Hound Dog, Don't Be Cruel, Jailhouse Rock etc etc..

Do I have to spell everything out all the time :?: :lol:

remember, I'm not talkin' about the early 70's when Elvis was still smokin'... :wink:

Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:31 pm

Jailhouse from Rockin Across Texas was first time I did not hit the skip button. A pleasantly surprising rarity especially for 76. The drum beat was great also.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:23 am

quote: Do I have to spell everything out all the time

remember, I'm not talkin' about the early 70's when Elvis was still smokin'...

Sorry I was just going by your original thread which I quoted. You wrote; "70's" not late 70's. I guess though we will disagree on this. I thought he still did "heartbreak" justice. "teddy bear" was really only a novelty song anyway, and I thought he sang it good in the 70's. If you are going by the late 70's then it is evident his lack of caring for the oldies gradually declined as the years went on, even the sun material. I guess we can have different opinions, which I think we might if we examined each song individually.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:54 am

I often wonder why he went back to 'My Baby Left Me' in '74? And why he did it so badly... It has nothing going for it at all. And as he says on the Memphis '74 LP, "and now the band I know has gone".

Shoulda left it alone, big guy.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:51 am

Teddy Bear is mentioned like it was done alone. It was always stuck with Don't be cruel. And then the Jailhouse Rock/Don't Be cruel medley in 1969. These songs got no respect. :lol:

Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:56 am

minkahed wrote:Do I have to spell everything out all the time?

Yes, please.

Thanks.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:19 am

JLGB, not so. Elvis did "Teddy Bear" justice in 1971. The dinner show version from January 29 is amazing. In fact, I’m shocked that this live rarity wasn’t included in the FTD album. A poor, disappointing decision from the producers. "Don’t Be Cruel" from 1970 ain’t that bad either.

Ken

Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:08 am

Thanks Ken. I'll check it out.