Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis got robbed!

Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:46 am

Elvis got robbed.......

out of doing what most every other celebrity gets......

1. attending his own Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame ceremony

2. putting his feet/signature at the Chinese Theater

3. being a Grammy ceremony presenter/attendee

4. being an Oscar presenter/attendee.

- now, the first two are not his fault he was robbed. Someone elese was at fault for those.
whereas the second two, he maybe didn't care to ever attend/be involved.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:57 am

I always thought it would have been a good thing for him to have his own tv show (one off) ,were he could sing with his fav singers...he would meet them on film sets or recording studios and have a jam (of sorts) pity it was not on the tv.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:10 am

Being some of the interviews Elvis did, i dont see Elvis hosting a program. I suffer every time I see him talking, it looks like he had hard time talking. The Jaycees speech is one of them, after taking a speech class, thats one example of how not to give a speech in my humble opinion.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:29 am

yeah, he might not be the clearest speaker (com'on, the guy had a thick accent plus a stutter), but he really could entertain both talking and singing regardless.

ok, being an american, it's probably easier for me to understand him. i feel so sorry for blokes where english isn't their first language. :lol: when my mom needed the lyrics to a christmas song, i played elvis' version, and i ended up having to tell her the lyrics repeatedly because she didn't understand elvis even singing, and for some reason i rarely ever don't understand him. southern accents really aren't too hard for me. i guess you have to have an ear for it.

ok, i mean, he doesn't have the speech etiquette of the rat pack, but i think he talks just fine. and sure he slurs and stutters a bit, but i bet he'd still have had the best show on air. he'd probably end up poking fun about his inability to speak well, but personally i like it when he speaks.

so yeah, personally i can see him hosting his own show with guest artists...he'd probably do a lot of gospel segments.

plus, if it were a tv show, it would reach a lot of people--plus he could have a live audience there, and he would get to sing duets with whomever he wanted. and we'd have the footage today.

plus, elvis was an actor and had really awesome comic timing...therefore there could have even been sketch segments.

ok, one would have to make it a little different from the dean martin show, but i think elvis' kind of humor would separate it. it was definitely different. plus the amount of gospel that would end up would definitely separate it.

it's a shame it never happened. i wonder if elvis would have enjoyed such a thing perhaps in the 80s if he had lived.

and yes--elvis should have gotten his footprints and star...it's a crock that he didn't when just about everybody else did. he was probably snubbed.

speaking of snubs--the grammies already have a record of insults towards elvis for only giving him 3 grammies only for gospel when he's the king of rock 'n roll among many other genres he could have won in--country for example, whose audiences are actually pretty fond of our boy.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:54 am

I don't have any trouble understanding him. The Jaycees' speech was very moving.

Personally, I'm glad he didn't appear on stuff like the Grammys. It would have made him too common, one of the pack. That he didn't attend that stuff added to his mystique, made him seem separate and above the fray.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:34 am

10% mystique...90% mistake.

As THE Star of Movies and Records, he should've had a feet-in-cement event at Graumans.
and get to hold his "star" plaque at the installation of his star on HWOF.

Flashbulbs going off. His classic sneer.
Fans in droves shutting down traffic.
Wow.

even an SNL twerp gets those bonefide Hollywood moments even with very few accomplishments in entertainment.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:39 am

Of cause Elvis could have hosted a tv show. He could have taken lessons and learning how to speak and how to host a tv show. He could have taken acting lessons and by the way he could have improved his piano and guitar playing. BUT HE DIDN'T DO IT! Elvis completely relied on his god given talent and never undertook the challenge to improve himself. It's a shame, but it's true!

Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:14 am

He improved musically 20 times over and pushed Parker for the roles in "Flaming Star" and "Wild in the Country". He read dozens of books on religion.

Graceland- I somewhat understand your point that Elvis didn't get a chance to savor his victories. However, aren't you glad there's no footage out there of him on the "$50,000 Pyramid" or schmoozing on the Tonight Show with Johnny telling him about the time he lost his bag at the airport? That Elvis spared us such banality gives him a little more zip in my book.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:31 am

one thing about a tv show is it would have forced the cheap sods to record every performance.

for that reason alone, i'd back it.

and hey, i want to hear banal stories like that. i like banal stories. elvis should have done talkshows. him interracting with people outside his group would have been good for him.
Last edited by Elvis' Babe on Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:08 am

likethebike wrote: Graceland- I somewhat understand your point that Elvis didn't get a chance to savor his victories. However, aren't you glad there's no footage out there of him on the "$50,000 Pyramid" or schmoozing on the Tonight Show with Johnny telling him about the time he lost his bag at the airport? That Elvis spared us such banality gives him a little more zip in my book.

- that's what I mean. And too, it would be Elvis fans savoring their victories for making him such a huge star!

even C-3PO and Vader put their feet in the cement. Sheesh. :wink:

game shows - glad he didn't do them.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:13 am

I think that Elvis could do a t.v. show of his own.
this way he could his latest recorded at the time with even more
better performance then his live concert's in the 70's.

i can see it now Elvis singing with Dean / Johnny Cash/ and a few others.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:19 am

I think people are missing the fact about Elvis speaking that Elvis was a chronically shy person, that's more than likely where the stutter comes from and didn't like public speaking,the Jaycees speech confirms this, it's ok on stage in front of your adoring fans and even then he suffered stage fright!!!!!!.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:31 am

Francesc wrote:Being some of the interviews Elvis did, i dont see Elvis hosting a program. I suffer every time I see him talking, it looks like he had hard time talking. The Jaycees speech is one of them, after taking a speech class, thats one example of how not to give a speech in my humble opinion.

He did ok on the 68 comeback...and he held his own on the STEVE ALAN show.

For me,yer man doing a tv special in the 60"s would have been a good thing.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:35 pm

goldrecords2002@yahoo.com wrote:I think that Elvis could do a t.v. show of his own.

Just like Tom Jones did....at least interesting. :wink:

Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:23 pm

goldrecords2002@yahoo.com wrote:I think that Elvis could do a t.v. show of his own.

I can't see Elvis bearing the burden of having his own television show. He handled himself well on Sullivan, Steve Allen, etc., but having his own show?

"Welll, uhh, we'll be back after this, babuh..." Nah, can't see that.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:50 pm

I dont see that either. He was not easy with words but then again he was a singer.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:05 pm

Of course Elvis does have his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame now. Anyone know what date that happened?

Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:07 pm

Ryan Seacrest has one too :oops:

Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:18 pm

EP hosting his own TV show? nah, that wasn't his style. His appearances on TV were too special for him to be on each week, though I would have enjoyed him to pop into the Carson show, unannounced, perhaps in 1970.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:42 pm

carolynlm wrote:I don't think there is an interviewer alive who could interview Elvis properly.....could you imagine Elvis being on Larry King?
I would have liked to see him accepting his Grammy's though. He did accept some of the gold records, and those were good to see.......

Elvis on Larry King would have been funny!! :lol:

Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:20 am

TJ is right, Elvis does have a star on the Walk of Fame. I think in those days they didn't have the giant ceremonies that they have today.

http://www.seeing-stars.com/Immortalize ... tars.shtml
Scroll about half way down the page to Elvis.

On it you can see a map where his star is located.

sue

Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:31 am

TJ wrote:Of course Elvis does have his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame now. Anyone know what date that happened?

I may be mistaken but I think it was installed in January 1960, coinciding with his 25th birthday

but had they WAITED a few months,
until Elvis got home from Germany, and of course he returned to Hollywood that Spring,
he could've been at the installing and it be an "event in person"

Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:40 am

Graceland Gardener wrote:
TJ wrote:Of course Elvis does have his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame now. Anyone know what date that happened?

I may be mistaken but I think it was installed in January 1960, coinciding with his 25th birthday

but had they WAITED a few months,
until Elvis got home from Germany, and of course he returned to Hollywood that Spring,
he could've been at the installing and it be an "event in person"

Well at least it was in his lifetime. I was starting to think that it was an afterthought, which would have been ridiculous. I made a point of tracking it down and taking a pic of it during my trip to LA in the early '90s, as well as going on the NBC Burbank tour just to be in the same building the '68 Special was shot :-)

Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:17 am

See I think that not being there was cool, same with the Grammys. Oh, thanks I'll take your little award if you send it to me. I like that stuff like that didn't seem important to him.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:30 am

likethebike wrote:See I think that not being there was cool, same with the Grammys. Oh, thanks I'll take your little award if you send it to me. I like that stuff like that didn't seem important to him.

That might explain why he didn't get more though.