Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis and Lou Costello question?

Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:54 am

I printed some pictures that were taken some time in the 50's of Elvis and Lou Costello (of Abbott and Costello fame-I'm a big fan) and was wondering if anyone knew the date and place these pictures were taken?

Darrell

Re: Elvis and Lou Costello question?

Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:09 am

Darrell wrote:I printed some pictures that were taken some time in the 50's of Elvis and Lou Costello (of Abbott and Costello fame-I'm a big fan) and was wondering if anyone knew the date and place these pictures were taken?

They were snapped on 28 June 1957, at Russwood Park in Memphis. It was a Friday night benefit for St. Jude's Hospital, a pet charity of entertainer and fellow Memphian Danny Thomas. Elvis did not perform, but did briefly appear on stage. You might recall Presley purchased and gave Thomas the USS Potomac in February 1964 for the same charity.

Abbott & Costello are one of the all-time great comedic teams.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:31 am

WHAT'S ON FIRST?

Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:31 am

What's on second.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:31 pm

WHO's on first!

Is that Jane Mansfield or Jane Russell (my memory's a little foggy this morning???)

(Photo courtesy of FECC)

You For Real ????

Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:34 pm

"Abbott & Costello are one of the all-time great comedic teams."

You are wrong Carpenter, Abbot and Costello stand accused of bringing comedy into disrepute for many years.

Long live Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:59 pm

How can someone's opinion be wrong?

Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:27 pm

Abbott & Costello were in the feature film genre. They ruled the box-office with their succesful 90min. comedys. Their highest-grossing film: ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948)

But the all-time greatest Gods of Comedy were in the theatrical two-reeler film genre. 20min. comedys.

Moe, Larry, Curly (and Shemp)

THE THREE STOOGES

Unlike Laurel & Hardy and A&C, The Three Stooges were the only comedy team to mention Elvis Presley by name on screen.

Data on this pic:

Jane posed with Elvis one week after her 36th birthday (June 21, 1957) while her latest film The Fuzzy Pink Nightgown was in theatres.

Lou Costello was 51 yrs old in that pic with Elvis.
Bud Abbott wasn't a part of this Memphis benefit because Abbott and Costello had just split up after 21 years and 36 films together.
Lou died in 1959. (Bud died in 1974)
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:40 pm

elvis-fan wrote:WHO's on first!

Is that Jane Mansfield or Jane Russell (my memory's a little foggy this morning???)

(Photo courtesy of FECC)

It's Jane Russell.

Tom (from Ohio)