Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

I changed my mind..it's good New Year's Eve was released.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:00 pm

When this came out on FTD I was very disappointed an audience recording had been released officially. However, being the completist that I am (well, at the time anyway! I'm way behind right now!) I bought it anyway.

Well, today I have been listening to a few FTDs on headphones and decided to give this one a go.

I tell you, it's not as bad as I thought...the balance is good in my opinion, Elvis' performance is top notch. I would suggest to anyone not sure about it that it is better listened to on headphones...I think you can hear more detail this way.

Re: I changed my mind..it's good New Year's Eve was released

Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:09 am

Matthew wrote:I would suggest to anyone not sure about it that it is better listened to on headphones...I think you can hear more detail this way.

You mean there's another way to listen to Elvis concerts?

Headphones are essential when listening to concerts, sessions and rehearsals. You definitely hear things that would normally go unnoticed. I could give many examples.

Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:30 am

i would'nt care if FTD released another audience recording, i'd welcome it. i'd love to see the july 75 show where he sings 'you'll never walk alone'

i would prefer a soundboard for the NYE show, but i got it for performance content, and with that i was not disappointed! as long as the sound is listenable, and Elvis's performance level is good, i do not mind audience recordings. you can hear the audiences appreciation, and for that, i'm grateful for them.

Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:04 pm

I think the only audience recordings I would be interested in would be Opening Night 1969 which I don't think exists anyway and his final show from 1977. Otherwise, the only audience recordings I would be interested in would be bonus tracks of rare songs to other releases.

Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:16 pm

I would prefer a audience recording of the caliber of Adios, or the "Profile " 73 show over most umbalanced and flat soundboards anytime.
What most of those soundboards lacks is vitality and ambience ( IE The Impossible Dream) and this is ever present in audience records like that

TCB,

Sergio Luiz

Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:51 pm

I wonder if it is possible to sync an audience recording with a soundboard from the same show. Think Ghost Riders In The Sky from The Way It Was...Elvis was off mic for the stereo recording but the vocal was captured on another source so FTD blended the recordings.

If done carefully the ambience could come from the audience recording and the musical quality from the soundboard....but I guess it would have to be a good'n to warrent the time and effort to do something like that.

Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:52 pm

I honestly thought that everyone listened to Elvis through earphones!! I remember listening to the vinyls and tapes, and when I listened to the CDs via earphones, it was completely different!! If I listened to E on a CD player, I probably could convert my husband, who only likes the 50s, but I can't because I NEED the earphones!! They make all the difference in the world!!
sue

Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:16 pm

Some audience recordings are certainly worth exploring. We'd miss out on some great shows if we didn't have them. Rick Rennie's August 1970 recordings are a good example of that. I'd rather hear those than a lot of the soundboards from later on.