Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Your favorite songs performed live by Elvis?

Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:08 am

What is your 3 favorite songs sung by Elvis live?

Mine are....

1.Bridge Over Troubled Water-I love his soulful passion he puts into this great song! There's not an artist today or really then that could match Elvis' vocal performance on that song.

2.Polk Salad Annie-This is the ultimate rocker by Elvis in the 70's! I like all the versions I have heard of this song, from 1970 to 77. I like how Elvis would change it up tour by tour and funk it up even more.

3.Never Been To Spain-I love this song performed by Elvis! I like the way he starts it out slow and smoothly, then goes to a quick high pitch soulful rockin performance.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:18 am

1. Bridge-Each version is completely different
2. Suspicious Minds-I never get tired of hearing it.
3. Hurt-His range was phenominal on this one.

Tom

Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:21 am

American Trilogy
Polk Salad Annie
Suspicious Minds

Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:40 am

Let It Be Me
Let Me Be There
Steamroller Blues

Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:46 am

Proud Mary

Never Been To Spain

Bridge Over Troubled Water

Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:23 am

Elvis was absolutely terrific in live performances, so here are my fave performances that he did very often

1.polk salad annie:Elvis changed this song so much through the 7 years he kept it in his set list, but still managed to rock it every time!

2.you've lost that lovin feelin- my fave performance of this song is the MSG show, but the master is definitely the best version

3.how great thou art-even when Elvis cracked on the september 28, 1974 concert (aka college park), he still managed to pour his heart( and the power of his voice) in to EVERY performance of this song, even the muck around version in january 1971 (the version on 'all things are possible)

and now, here are 3 of my fave songs that Elvis performed only once live (as far as i know)

1.you'll never walk alone- i listen to this time and time, and still can't listen to it without goosebumps being sent down my spine. has Elvis ever perfomed more passionately?!

2.rags to riches-another piano piece, that must have been inspired by the presence of Ginger Alden to sing it live. it shows his ever AWESOME range!

3.moody blue-although Elvis was a little puffed out on this, for its first and last live performance, it rocks!

Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:21 am

For now, I have a bit more than 300 shows in my wee little collection. Basically I have heard Elvis performing all his live songs again and again. There are however a few songs that still thrill me:

See See Rider
A wonderful show opener that still makes me sing along everytime I hear it. What a wonderful way to start a show.

Welcome To My World
Performed only twice in his career, this song is one of my favourites. Listen to the beautiful ending.

Love Letters & Early Morning Rain
Two songs that were used during Band Introduction in 1976. Sometimes he sang just a few lines, and sometimes he would sing the full song.

Of course it is almost pointless to contribute to this topic, because I love every single song that Elvis has ever done live.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:25 am

I always love his early song that he did live.

1. That's All Right
2. My Baby Left Me
3. I Got A Woman

Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:47 am

Suspicious Minds ( mainly 1969 and 1970)
Just Pretend
What Now My Love (spoken lyrics)

Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:21 am

Lakeisha -

There are precious few occasions where the live version beats the studio one [for me, anyway].

Perhaps My Way [he never completed a satisfactory studio master].

And, of course, all those other songs he did live with no proper studio version, like You've Lost That Loving Feeling, I Just Can't Help Believin' and An American Trilogy.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:22 am

An American Trilogy
You Gave Me A Mountain
Let It be Me

Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:44 pm

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - live version is far superior in my opinion to the studio version.

My other live faves are My Boy, How Great Thou Art and Hurt.

Unchained Melody is also a great song only ever performed live.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:01 pm

American Trilogy

My Way

The Impossible Dream

Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:22 pm

I agree with many of the assessments here, but would add Trying to Get to You in Rapid City June 21, 1977.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:22 pm

Stephen Butler wrote:I agree with many of the assessments here, but would add Trying to Get to You in Rapid City June 21, 1977.
That version is brilliant!

How Great Thou Art
Hurt
Mystery Train/Tigerman

Too difficult!

Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:38 pm

How Great Thou Art

I Just Can't Help Believin'

An American Trilogy

Jules

Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:00 pm

That's All Right and Blue Moon Of Kentucky, introduced by Frank Page, Oct. 16th 1954 ... A Fool Such As I and Reconcider Baby from '61 ain't bad either ...

Peter

Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:25 pm

Denman wrote:
Stephen Butler wrote:I agree with many of the assessments here, but would add Trying to Get to You in Rapid City June 21, 1977.
That version is brilliant!

Elvis rocks Rapid City in this song!

Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:32 pm

'I Just Can't Help Believing'.

I've never understood why he dropped it from the set so soon. From a visual perspective, 'Suspicious Minds', 'Polk Salad Annie' and 'Patch It Up' come to mind.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:41 pm

Love Letters FEB 12,1977.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:58 pm

My picks would be.

Trying To Get To You from 062768 6:00PM, Comeback Special
Blue Suede Shoes from 021156, Dorsey Shows
You Gave Me A Mountain 011473, Aloha From Hawaii

Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:24 pm

Mine are

American Trilogy
Polk Salad Annie
I'll Remember You

Difficult decision though :?

Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:48 am

I Can't Stop Loving You '70-'72. The MSG evening show version is my all-time favorite.
Suspicious Minds'69-'72.
Hurt. Any version with the extra high B note.
How Great Thou Art '72-'77.
Trying To Get To You '74-'77.
You Gave Me A Mountain.
Bridge Over Troubled Water
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
American Trilogy '72-'74.
Unchained Melody
Mystery Train-Tiger Man '69-'70.
Johnny B. Goode '69-'71.