Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Any 1957 concerts recorded?

Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:29 pm

I've never seen a CD with a complete live recording from 57 (not counting the Ed Sullivan Show).

Are there any available?

Were any even recorded? Maybe if they were broadcast on the radio, a fan may have taped it. (Isn't that how the Little Rock recording from May 56 exists?).

Wouldn't it be great to hear Elvis in concert 1957 style! 8)

Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:01 pm

It's a real shame that more live recordings aren't available from 1957 as Elvis was in fantastic form, but from what is available there isn't much to be heard because of the noise of the crowd, and none are complete songs.

There is however some great footage from Tupelo on September 27 1957 on "Hot Shots & Cool Clips" but the footage is silent, and has music overdubbed.

Watching the footage it's a pity sound wasn't recorded, as it can be ascertained that Elvis is singing 'I Got A Woman', 'When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again', 'Don't Leave Me Now', 'Mean Woman Blues', 'Shake Rattle & Roll' and 'Hound Dog'

Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:08 pm

there's a 1957 canada concert recording of audience members after the show. Giddy excited girls and some doofus guy who says, "I only came to see the Jordanaires!"

Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:41 am

There's also a radio show from 1957 (Man Or Menace) containing interviews with fans and also excerpts of songs from Elvis' show in Detroit on March 31 1957. The sound quality of the songs is unlistenable though due to the crowds screams!

Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:52 am

londonflash, when you say a complete live recording do you mean of any one song as being complete or the entire show ?

Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:59 am

Graceland Gardener wrote:there's a 1957 canada concert recording of audience members after the show. Giddy excited girls and some doofus guy who says, "I only came to see the Jordanaires!"


Thats some interview that CBC did right. It's on the "When All Was Kool" ( great boot ).
Yeah, the interviews with the kids are priceless. Like " He's a goof" or "I think he's ugly but has a nice voice".

Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:01 am

There have been no complete 1957 live concerts released (or even complete songs), apart from the Ed Sullivan Show, but I do still live in hope that the recordings from Empire Stadium, Vancouver will still be released in full. The songs on "From The Bottom Of My Heart Volume 2" from this show are all faded out, so it still gives us hope that these were only teasers, and that the complete songs may exist.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:08 am

That was what I was thinking Keith, but I wasn't sure if LF meant whole shows or whether he was asking after just whole songs. So not released but a reasonable probability that whole songs exist.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:37 am

Kieth wrote:

The songs on "From The Bottom Of My Heart Volume 2" from this show are all faded out, so it still gives us hope that these were only teasers, and that the complete songs may exist.

**************************
These snippets of songs originally came out on the boot LP "got alot o' livin' to do", in 1976! That is 30 years of teasing.

My guess is Red Robinson only recorded a few minutes out of fear he would be caught by the watchful colonel. He frowned on that sort of thing you know.

Or perhaps the tape recorder was malfunctioning. There is a part where the sounds just sound twisted like the machine was going bad.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:31 am

Has anyone ever heard of the following LP's?

'Vancouver Show' (10" LP) was issued in Europe in the early 70's. It's supposed to include the following complete songs from Vancouver August 31 1957 - "I Got A Woman", "That's When Your Heartaches Begin", "Heartbreak Hotel", Blue Suede Shoes", "Tutti Frutti" and Elvis' 1957 Press Conference. Sound quality on this is said to be poor.

'Elvis Presley' (10" LP) is said to include extracts of Elvis' show in Seattle September 1 1957 ("Heartbreak Hotel" and "Hound Dog")

'Love Me Tender' (LP) is said to include live versions of "I Was The One" and "That's When Your Heartaches Begin" from Empire Stadium August 31 1957

Elvis Special Volume 3 (10" LP) is said to include a live 1957 performance of "Trying To Get To You"

I've asked around for years and no-one I know has ever heard any of these LP's. The last one I think we can dismiss as it's only ever been mentioned on Paul Lichters book "The Boy Who Dared To Rock" ! But the rest are interesting as they were mentioned in a collectors magazine from 1981, but I've never seen mention of them since

Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:38 am

Hi Keith,
These are somone's flights of fancy, I'm afraid. All it takes is for ONE copy to be pressed and then - pow, the snowball effect. Know what I mean? Just like those old rumours of 'Uncle Penn' being a big hit in the Niagra Falls area. Oh yeah?
If these things had come out then all it takes is for one copy to get copied, then copied again and...well, I'm sure you get the picture.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:59 am

ekenee wrote:Kieth wrote:

The songs on "From The Bottom Of My Heart Volume 2" from this show are all faded out, so it still gives us hope that these were only teasers, and that the complete songs may exist.

**************************
These snippets of songs originally came out on the boot LP "got alot o' livin' to do", in 1976! That is 30 years of teasing.

My guess is Red Robinson only recorded a few minutes out of fear he would be caught by the watchful colonel. He frowned on that sort of thing you know.

Or perhaps the tape recorder was malfunctioning. There is a part where the sounds just sound twisted like the machine was going bad.

Was it Red Robinson that recorded these songs?

I knew he recorded 'Heartbreak Hotel' from Maple Leaf Garden, Toronto - April 2 1957 (9pm), and some interviews with fans, but that's all as far as I was aware.

I wasn't aware he also recorded the songs fom Empire Stadium, Vancouver - August 31 1957, strange that these snippets haven't been officially released if he recorded them! ('A Canadian Tribute')
Last edited by Keith F on Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:07 am

Keith that is what I had read. It should be sept. 1st., 1957 or is August 31st., just as when he recorded the long press conference. Am I right? Someone?

Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:11 am

yes I just edited it to August 31 as you were writing your reply! lol

Still strange that the snippets of songs weren't officially released though

Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:14 am

didn't ernst once say a few exist but are poor quality?

Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:26 am

Keith F wrote:It's a real shame that more live recordings aren't available from 1957 as Elvis was in fantastic form, but from what is available there isn't much to be heard because of the noise of the crowd, and none are complete songs.

There is however some great footage from Tupelo on September 27 1957 on "Hot Shots & Cool Clips" but the footage is silent, and has music overdubbed.

Watching the footage it's a pity sound wasn't recorded, as it can be ascertained that Elvis is singing 'I Got A Woman', 'When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again', 'Don't Leave Me Now', 'Mean Woman Blues', 'Shake Rattle & Roll' and 'Hound Dog'


CRIME!!
These recordings needs to exist :shock: It must be in one place......well that´s what I want......I still believe!

Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:17 am

The Vancouver sound snips are from a newsreel camera. That's why they not only "fade out", they increase in speed at the last second. This is from the sound camera being stopped, and the film slowing to a stop.

I wish there was a full recording, but the snips are not from a full recording, and those snips are all there is from that source.
Last edited by ohnono on Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:02 am

Ok, if its from a camera, where are the film clips? Obviously someone borrowed them to make the original boot LP..

Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:17 am

Steve_M wrote:londonflash, when you say a complete live recording do you mean of any one song as being complete or the entire show ?


I spoke to LondonFlash(Andrew) last night & I also sent him a text message this morning & asked him about your query, though I'm sure that he almost certainly ment whole concerts as opposed to indivdual songs, though I might be wrong so I've asked him to get back to me & let me know the answer, which if he does I will post, unless of course he can get to a computer & let you know himself.

As for my own thoughts on the subject, I think that it's more than a bit odd that we have live recordings from '54, '55 & '56 & yet, apart from the January Sullivan show, practicaly nothing from '57, I feel sure that if his first performance on the Hayride & recordings from the other years were put on tape & have also since been & subsiquently released, that it is very possible that there should also be some live recordings from '57, even if only because of his stature by that time, plus if a show like the Little Rock show, which sounds to me at least, to have been a wild show, could be recorded on what sounds like a small, portable reel to reel tape recorder, then then it stands to reason that some of the '57 shows could exist in one form or another. of course I could be wrong but until they turn up who can say? 8)

Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:52 am

Thanks TM, but don't build Andrews hopes up that I have anything based on my reply. I asked in order to clarify in case anyone else knew of one or two isolated complete tracks but didn't post because they may have wrongly thought he meant complete shows (or rightly thought, as the case maybe :wink: ).

Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:44 pm

No worries, he' quite a level headed fella he'll understand. 8)

Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:27 pm

Thanks for the replies, chaps!

Steve -

I was thinking about complete concerts, but it would have been great to have found out the existence of even a few songs here and there.

Anyway, I live in hope, even though it seems quite unlikely that we'll hear a 57 show as it stands today.

Btw, good points Nigel, and thanks for those updates!

Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:54 am

I really get p|$$&d off to know that real gems might not exist.... :evil: :cry: