Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The boy who dared to rock

Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:18 pm

Is the book "The boy who dared to rock" by Paul Lichter any good.
I have a chance to buy it very cheap(5 euro/dollar).

Thanks in advance

the boy who dared to rock

Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:11 pm

At the time it was published it was a very valuable resource (although with a few errors).Now though it isn't really necessary. It would make a good "bathroom" book. :)

Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:39 pm

I bought this book when I was at school, back in the early eighties and at the time, I thought it was great. It had all the LP's, pictured and listed, plus the bootlegs, back then.
At the time it was a good book, but now there are a lot better books out, but if it's cheap enough.....

KEEP ON ROCKIN'

Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:09 am

This was the first place I ever saw a full sessionography and discography. I'm told he stole other's work to do it but I was grateful to get it at the time. If you have or can get A Life In Music by Ernst Jorgenson, that part of it is now obsolete. And either way the discography is obviously way outdated.

Don't buy it for his writing. It's very simplistic, conveying no real depth of insight about Elvis' music. You sometimes get the feeling he's just into the icon-worship.

I do still enjoy browsing at the record sleeves and covers, however. Too bad they aren't in color.

If you get it for a steal, or would really like any of the above, go ahead, you'll probably enjoy it.

the boy who dared to rock

Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:29 am

the book is definitely worth it for the right price,some what limited today, but was decent in 1978, good discography for original us released,boots ectt

Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:56 am

This is where the Paul Mc Cartney quote "You know the whole time we (The Beatles) jammed with him he had the tape maching running" came from. Macca is also quoted as saying he wanted to produce an album for Elvis which has been repeated outside of this publication and seems to have been accepted as fact. Thats the only part of the book I remember apart from the 'About the Author' section at the back which is hilarious -the Icon worship in this instance involved the use of a mirror.

Dispensable rather than essential but its going cheap so I'd say its worth the money for the pics and the little bits of information that you might
pick up.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:42 pm

Thanks guys,i know enough;i'll get it!!