Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The JAP papersleeve cover edition - PROMOS

Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:50 pm

A dealer just told me he has the first 20 Japanese papersleeve editions as promos. I've never seen these as promos/samples before. Can anybody help, does these really excist?

Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:15 pm

Yes. it's exist. There's a promo box with 20 japan paper sleeve, remastered on 24bit technology. Only 100 was pressed and offers to selected persons in Japan.

Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:17 pm

Great LOL
And what is with the other 10?
I mean if you are a completist you need them too. Or?

Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:23 pm

The other 10 was released separately, it was in 2001.
In 2005 all 30 titles was released again and BMG Japan offers to buyers a box for all 30 CDs, but in that case you need to buy a minimum of CDs. I don't know if was 20 or all 30 titles.
The mastering in 24 bit technology is the same of DSD technology. Very good sound.

Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:27 pm

Than I would prefer the NEW Set of ALL 30 CD's in the GREAT Big Cardboardbox 8)
Its a great Set :shock: :D

Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:44 pm

All set is great, but in my opinion Christmas Album (1957) is the best of all, it was taken from tapes founded in 1999 (new generation tapes) and digitally remastered in 24bit technology. Elvis In Concert is good too.

Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:48 pm

dougkapp wrote:The mastering in 24 bit technology is the same of DSD technology.

Sorry, that's factually inaccurate. 24bit/96kHz PCM mastering is just not the same than DSD mastering.

Furthermore, I doubt any of the Japanese remasters even had access to the original mastertapes, what they were mastered from are most likely Japanese copies of the original LP masters or perhaps the early 90's U.S. masters.

What can be said for sure is that the mini-sleeve editions are probably the most faithful reproductions of the original LP's in terms of packaging and sound, but let's not make them something they are not.

There can be no doubt that new DSD transfers from the original mastertapes (as are now customary for any BMG project, e.g. the U.S. Hitstory box) are in an entirely different league altogether sonically.

Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:15 am

Whatever Technology, i have to agree, they have great sound ! 8)

Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:16 am

I also must say the Japanese BMG CD's have GREAT Sound!!
Every collector who have heard them will agree. Thats for sure.
Also the 10 CD BOX Set The Complete Singles Collection is not only one of the BEST Box Sets I have ever seen, it also has fantastic clear sound.
They know how to make good quality products.

Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:40 am

High resolution audio be it from DSD or PCM 24 bit 96khz(or above) sounds great. Some have a preference on one or the other. It has not been proven DSD is better or worse. I pull for DSD because thats what we have with Elvis and the Sony connection. And I bet those Japanese CDs would be on par with the DSDs from the U.S. if they had the original masters to work with. Which by the way a second generation master could be in better shape than an often used original. :wink:

Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:43 am

I have some of these 24 bit Japan papersleeves,original masters or not they still sound awesome,and th emost important aspect of them is the japs know how to do a punchy sound-and more important than anything, untouched by the skilless eccentric one/

Re: The JAP papersleeve cover edition - PROMOS

Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:09 pm

CD-collector2004 wrote:The JAP papersleeve.....

What is this, 1942??????

Tom

Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:11 pm

LOL at Tom's comment. I can't believe it took a whole day before someone commented on that.

Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:41 pm

Hey hey... I know anĀ“bout the 10 extra they made and the new box. BUT this is the promos, I mean samples, the not forsale ones... Rare or not rare?

Okay TOM, Jap may have been a little to freesh, but I knew that you for one could handle it and you did :D

Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:47 pm

Tom and Eagle at the forefront of the "don't offend anyone" brigade?

:lol:

I'm sure that's not the spirit of the post. Besides, only the USA
gets bent out of shape over that anymore. It reads merely
as an abbreviation. :D

Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:53 pm

Greg (short for Gregory) is right.

the word "Japanese" simply cannot exist without "jap" as the first 3 letters.
it's forever there, and as a syllable, can be shortened to that.

jap is short for japanese.

"jap" is not a made-up word designed to insult.
(such as wop for italians. That is a traditional insult - and the letters w, o, p are not in the word Italy.) SEE?

Tom, (short for Thomas) ought to understand built-in syllables.

lol (short for laugh out loud)

Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:47 pm

That's what I mean, GG. I think even the three-word short version (as
with our "USA") for Japan is "JAP."

No doubt it became enfused with racism during WWII, but
if you can get worked up over the enemy, who can you
be? :shock: :D

Here's one of those old posters we now generally
disown, but no doubt propaganda served to help us
win the war.

http://www.nh.gov/ww2/ww25prt.html

Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:54 pm

Suppose I should save my 'Jap's Eye' jokes for another day then? :wink:

I'd love to have the paper sleeve CD's let alone the promos.

Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:59 pm

Imagine if our respective RCA labels in either the UK or the USA
or Japan all made sure they were on the same page, using the
best mastering and correct versions?

:shock: :D

How boring, right? :lol:

Re: The JAP papersleeve cover edition - PROMOS

Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:42 am

CD-collector2004 wrote:A dealer just told me he has the first 20 Japanese papersleeve editions as promos. I've never seen these as promos/samples before. Can anybody help, does these really excist?

As rightfully stated by Andy M, the full papersleeve collection is a 30 pcs set, which was pressed in very low qty's - and one of the most sought after promo collections ever. According to official (EPS) paperwork only 50 pcs of the 30 cd-set were pressed - of which some where available through HMV Japan Executives

Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:28 am

@traxfax,
I could not have said it better :D :shock:
Thats exactly the point.
Only 50 are made. 8)
Mega Rare. But it makes only sence if you have all 30 CD's.
I am not sure if all 30 have a Cardboardbox or only 20 or only 10 as a seperate 2nd Box.??

Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:29 am

when i saw this title, i was well on my way to knowing i'd be viewing something about political correctness. :lol:

next we'll be hearing about them ol' krauts.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:19 pm

Andy-M wrote: But it makes only sence if you have all 30 CD's.
I am not sure if all 30 have a Cardboardbox

True, the promo's are only worth its value when set is complete. And yes, all 30 cd's come in cardboard.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:08 am

thanks for the info!

Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:19 am

Not sure if this is it, but the write-up on anohter site said there were
20 inside...

Either way, it and anything like it looks mighty purdy.. :lol: