More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Sean Ryan
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Elvis and a impersonator?

Post by Sean Ryan »

Check this out,

Some guy has told me that he was speaking to one of Elvis's personal friends and that Elvis invited an impersonator up on stage at Lake Tahoe to sing a song with him.
I,ve asked him to say who this personal friend was and he hasnt replied yet.
I also told him that its something Elvis would never have done.He wouldnt have invited any member of the audience up on stage.

Surely someone would have captured this on camera.
I think there is only one photo of Elvis with a impersonator and that was taken at the gates of Graceland.

Sean

Melanie
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Melanie »

A photo to cement the story would be great.

But there are no pictures of the Funky Angels either.
Do you get what I mean? :wink:

I remember seeing a photo of a little boy, up on stage with Elvis, getting a scarf, who is wearing a jumpsuit. Beware of the person pretending that is the Lake Tahoe impersonator.

There are also three photos with an impersonator, that were taken at the gates of his Los Angeles home in 1971 I think it was.

Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

This has brought up before on this board.

Somebody actually posted the guy singing Hound Dog,and Elvis can be heard saying "Good job" afterwards.

I think,if I remember correctly,somebody posted the performance saying that it was a good version by Elvis,and that it contained the "High Class" verse that Elvis usually left out.

Anybody else remember this?

Thomas
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by Thomas »

That show is available on import. Don't ask me which one it was. But I remember Elvis talking to a girl from stage and then inviting her boyfriend to stage. "Can he do an imitation?" :-)

It was however no professional Impersonator, but just some experienced fan from the audience.

Getlo
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Getlo »

unclefester wrote:Hi guys.....yes...the story is true....the impersonator was a friend of mine.....Douglas Roy who lives in Niagra Falls....on the Canadian side. He and another buddy of mine saw Elvis in Tahoe in early 1976. Doug had a 45 demonstration record he had just made.....my other buddy coaxed him to throw it up on stage...he did....it landed at Elvis' feet. Elvis picked it up....read the record label and called him up on stage. Elvis then handed him the mic and told Doug that he sang Hound Dog in the key of C.....Doug sang a couple of verses....with the full band accompanying him....the audience went completely nuts...and that's the story....Elvis called his perfromance a real compliment....As far as photos go.....I have nenver seen one.....but I did have an audio tape of the whole thing....where the hell that is I do not know.......uf.
I remember the audio was posted on here a while back. I did a feature of the impersonator in a newsletter for my local Leeds Elvis Fan Club. I'll try and dig that out. The audio was an audience recording and not very clear.

I am surprised a photo hasn't sufaced. You can bet there is a ton of them kept by people who are unaware of their importance.

How cool of Elvis to let the guy up on stage and sing with his band? Not many performers would be as kind today.

Getlo

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Well I don't think he sang, actually. On my record you can only hear the real Elvis singing. Maybe he sang, but then of course he had no microphone...

Getlo

Post by Getlo »

unclefester wrote:Getlo.....you are correct....it was an audience recording....with lots of screaming etc.....but you could make out some of the dialouge and the singing.....when Elvis invited Doug up on stage......Doug....who was wearing a suit and tie.....went up with a small cigar in his hand.....Elvis put his hand out and helped him up on stage...they had a brief discussion.....Elvis asked him if he sang and Doug said yes.....Elvis said what do you sing and Doug replied...."I sing you"....pointing directly at Elvis as he made that statement....Elvis handed him the mic.....so Doug had the mic in one hand and his cigar in the other.....he butted the cigar right on the stage before he began to sing......as far as photos go....am I not correct in saying that cameras were not allowed....at least not allowed if you got caught.....you guys know more about that stuff than I do......uf
They had the "not allowed" policy in those venues, but they turned a blind eye to the still cameras and flashes... or the flashes blinded their eyes! :lol: It was the cine cameras that they seemed to dislike more than anything.

Thomas - the guy heard singing is not Elvis, it's definately the impersonator Doug Roy. He does a good job with the song... perhaps too good if you think it's the real Elvis! :shock:

Uncle Fester, I only wish I could say I'd seen Elvis in Tahoe! Wow, I'd have been happy to see him anywhere. You must have some great memories. Thanks for sharing them.

Getlo

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I think I may have listened to a different show, because I was talking about a soundboard release.

Big Boss Man
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Big Boss Man »

Thank God there wasn't a guy in the audience who could imitate Sherrill Nielsen! :lol:

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY HEAVENLYYYYY FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATHER ....
oh no that was kathy.

ElvisInNorway
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by ElvisInNorway »

unclefester wrote:Hi guys.....yes...the story is true....the impersonator was a friend of mine.....Douglas Roy who lives in Niagra Falls....on the Canadian side. He and another buddy of mine saw Elvis in Tahoe in early 1976. Doug had a 45 demonstration record he had just made.....my other buddy coaxed him to throw it up on stage...he did....it landed at Elvis' feet. Elvis picked it up....read the record label and called him up on stage. Elvis then handed him the mic and told Doug that he sang Hound Dog in the key of C.....Doug sang a couple of verses....with the full band accompanying him....the audience went completely nuts...and that's the story....Elvis called his performance a real compliment....As far as photos go.....I have nenver seen one.....but I did have an audio tape of the whole thing....where the hell that is I do not know.......uf.
Hello!

Here is D. Roy performance. I once downloaded it from... eh, I think it was here on this message board, though I can't remember for sure.

http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/other/elvis-droy-tahoe050576.mp3

Regards

Oven Egeland
Elvis In Norway
http://www.elvisinnorway.no

EagleUSA

Post by EagleUSA »

Great, great stuff. That took BALLS!!!

Eagle

Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

Great stuff, although not the first time Elvis performed on stage with an impersonator. He did it in the ’50s too. The full story is in the excellent Rockin’ across Texas audiovisual documentary, one of the best FTDs to date.

Ken