Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:28 pm

Woodleyjohn

According to my records, they are the full unedited versions with no splices.

Suspicion - Take 5

She's Not You - Take 3

Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:33 pm

Hi!

Sorry, I didn't see this before...

No, they're the spliced masters... on She's Not You, for instance, they only did the bridge once, then came back to it on the work part section - the work part section takes started with the second bridge.

For my session compilation, I took the tail end of the take of "She's Not You" on "Long Lonely Highway" and spliced it in before the second bridge (and took away the second bridge) to "make my own" take 3", and then I put the rest of it in the WP section, listing it as take 5. It's not exact, but it's all there is for now.

"Suspicion" sounds just like the master, too, so it's not the raw master, but the spliced one.

A shame, yes, but neat to have the chat before the takes, anyway.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:05 am

You're right Mike, I have just listened to 'em "She's not you" is spliced at about 1:22, the sound drops. Suspicion sounds the same as the master.

Unbelievable, you think they would tell you on the set, that it's the spliced versions. On a set like that, I would rather have the break down version, then the work parts after. I notice a few songs on these sets are the same versions as the masters, but just with the count-ins and studio chatter at the starting.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:27 am

John,

I don't suppose there is anyway of letting me have a copy of 'em, when you're done, is there.
I myself am trying to log the sessions down, I made a bit of a balls up there, with them 2 songs.

There could be more wrong.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:49 am

i've already done the march 18 and 19,1962 sessions in order they need to be speed corrected if you use the anything is part of you cd.
its too fast.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:39 am

The best is a mix of sources...

"Anything That's Part Of You", "There's Always Me", "Unsurpassed Masters", and various BMG CDs were what I used.

The Master And Session website is a great resource for this, as in most all things studio related.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:27 am

Now there's an interestig concept......cataloging them......Woodley just how do you catalogue your info.....database ?

Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:01 pm

Here's what I do for my sessions:

Each session has it's own folder, listed by date. Inside that folder, each song (with numbers before them to keep the order) has it's own folder, and inside that folder, the files for that song sit, named like this:

She's Not You-01
She's Not You-02
She's Not You-03M (just an example if this were the master)

Pretty easy, and it gets you good at knowing the session dates because you remember the corresponding folder name.

Hope that helps!

Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:11 pm

Mike do you mean, folders or files on the computer, or folders that you put on a table and read like a book. Mine are the book type, as I haven't had the computer long, and started many years ago.

P.S. Anybody managed to log down the '69 sessions, because I haven't. They didn't call out the take numbers all the time, so it's a real problem, is that.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:15 pm

Oops.. I mean in the computer. It's definitely the way to go. That way, if you need to burn a session CD off for yourself, you're all set with no hassles.

I'm in the midst of getting all my sources for the 69 material together, and I'll post my findings/theories as soon as I can... though that will be awhile.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:20 pm

How you gonna do 'em, are you gonna count every false start as a take, or just when Elvis starts singing, or what. If you notice on some of Elvis's other sessions, not every false start is classed as a take...

They should be, in my opinion it would make it easier

Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:29 pm

Thanks Mike & Woodley, that's interesting Woodley, you using Excel as that's what I use, it's a great program for it in a really BIG way.

Joe what Songs/tracks exactly are refering to below ;-

" P.S. Anybody managed to log down the '69 sessions, because I haven't. They didn't call out the take numbers all the time, so it's a real problem, is that. "
Last edited by Ray on Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:31 pm

Actually, the way I'll do it is I'll see what number the master is, and kinda "guesstimate" my way there.. lol!

In cases where they don't list a number for the master, I'll just separate every false start, probably.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:05 pm

Sounds the way to go Mike, I guess Joe you are refering to songs like Only The Strong Survive & Wearin' That Loved On Look ?

Wearin' That Loved On Look is reasonable easy to guestimate, as in Ernst book he states that it wasn't until take 10 that they had a complete take, so that means as we have offically got take 10, the complete alternate take on Finding The Way Home (which is different to take 10) has to be higher than take 10, but more than likely less than the Master (take 15).

As for Only The Strong Survive, we may not know the take NUMBERS, but if you listen closely to all the alternates you can tell that at one stage there is a fair few at a 'quick tempo', my guestimate is that the quick tempo was tried first (the final quick take being the one that has Elvis saying ' boy that is the worst job of singing I've ever heard you do,' etc), I believe that after this they went to the slower tempo, as used for the master...again there are quite a few alternates at this tempo.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:19 pm

Actually, I might be able to solve "Wearin That Loved On Look", as I believe that tape our group got has all the takes on it (except the master). But I'll let you know as soon as I'm able to sort through it. :)

Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:34 pm

Well done guys, keep up the good work' they are the songs I mean. Wearin That Loved On Look, Only The Strong Survive, True Love Love Travels on a Gravel Road, And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind, Do You Know Who I Am, Any Day Now, After Loving You, It Keeps Right On a Hurtin' etc... and what about the tracks that are listed in Jorgensen's book, as na, like the fantastic "My Little Friend" is there any alternates on them, or is that it.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:44 pm

Joe, don't get me excited, I've got to got out shortly :lol: . True Love Travels On A Gravel Road, I think I've got that one sorted, especially as take 2 on the Today Tomorrow & Forever box set fades out too soon & the if you listen to True Love Travels On A Gravel Road on the Unsurpassed Masters Box Set you will find that the first track (which is just the ending of a take) of this song is actually the end of an unknown take (now known as take 2).....well it's actually the end of the take off the TT&F box set, I successfully joined them together, the only problem was that Elvis vocal changed channel from BMG to import....but they are a perfect match & the songs ends properly now.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:51 pm

Cheers Ray,

Gonna have a listen to 'em.

THANKS

Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:03 pm

Hi Mike!

Two questions for you:

1. What size hard drive do you use for all of the music?

2. In what format do you have the music? (ie. wav, mp3 at 320 kbps, etc)

I have been using an 80 gig drive with wav files but I'm finding it's getting close to full so I may change the music files to mp3 320 kbps.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:10 pm

Ray you're right, it is.

So are you saying that it's take 3, the first track on the "Unsurpassed" set.
Take 1 is on Suspicious Minds right, Then 2 is on T,T and Forever set, but fades, then ending of 2 is on "Unsurpassed" set along with take 3, is that right.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:23 pm

Joe, don't know how this is gonna look but here is my guestimate on it ;-

True Love Travels On A Gravel Road N/A 1 or 3 ? Complete SM2cd maybe take 1 or 3, @ 0:51 "onn………….smooth streets" & "windS blow"
True Love Travels On A Gravel Road 2 Complete TTF spliced the last 11 seconds of a the first take off UM to the end of take 2 on TTF as they are the same
True Love Travels On A Gravel Road 1 ? (4 ?) Complete UM inview of the "real" take # 6 & 7 released by FTD this is maybe # 4, "wind blowS"
True Love Travels On A Gravel Road 2 ? (5 ?) Complete UM inview of the "real" take # 6 & 7 released by FTD this is maybe # 5, "windS blow", "motherf#cker", "paved in f#ckin' gold"
True Love Travels On A Gravel Road 6 Music False Start + Breakdown UM previously released by importers as take # 4, "it's a little too slow" version
True Love Travels On A Gravel Road 7 Complete UM previously released by importers as take # 5, "windS blow"
True Love Travels On A Gravel Road 8 ? Breakdown UM "@ 1:34 "how strong the blah blah blah" version
True Love Travels On A Gravel Road 9 ? Music False Start + Vocal False Start UM "god where am I man" version
True Love Travels On A Gravel Road 10 ? Undubbed/Unedited Master UM "wind blowS"
Dialogue after undubbed master dialogue UM playing back of tape recorder, dialogue & drumming (this may well be part of what was later the overdubs for the Master take
True Love Travels On A Gravel Road - MASTER 10 ? Master SM2cd difficult to identify take #'s due to the takes that preceed takes 6 & 7

Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:35 pm

Elvis fan, this was posted by Mike on the 17th June under the post 'speaking of remixes'.....this is that post below ;-

Thanks, Jon!

I do it all on a computer. The best program (in my opinion) for editing and putting together this stuff is "Magix Audio Cleaning Lab 3.0". Just a fantastic program, and very very easy to use. I've tried a lot of stuff and never found anything easier.

It's all done on PC, but here's what I've got to work with:

Pentium IV 3.07Ghz processor
512 MB DDR-PC 133 RAM
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
ATI All-In-Wonder 9700
680 GB of total hard drive space (got it for compiling studio sessions in WAV and eventually all the concerts in MP3, but the remixes are a fun departure, too)

Not all that is necessary for audio editing, but you asked what I used, so that's why I listed this. Kinda proud of the PC, too.

Got a decent "Suspicious Minds" remix done, have that up sometime tonight or tomorrow!
http://www.eapsociety.com

Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:41 pm

Thanks Ray!
I forgot about that post... holy crap 680 GB of hard drive space???
Mike must have one freakin' huge CPU to fit those drives in there!!! LOL!!!

Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:45 pm

Ray,

In my listings, for some reason I have Suspicious Minds CD down has take 1, don't know why, because it just says alternate take, but I must have got it from somewhere. Can't remember where!

Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:54 pm

Joe, that's what I've got on the previous page, I've got it as take 1 or 3, the reason for my uncertainty is the tempo of the track may indicate it's not take 1, but then again it may have been tried that way on the first take. There have been a few guestimates on that version, some even saying it is a rehearsal version, which I find hard to believe.