Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Best Elvis concert moves

Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:29 pm

I'd say:

Suspicious Minds SE helicopter (in Elvis'Babe avatar)
" " Old Edition Shoulder groove
" " in San Diego and LA in Fall Tour 1970
Polk Salad Annie TTWII
Polk Salad Annie On Tour (moonwalk and ending)

Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:51 pm

Hand up in front of the face on "In The Ghetto" while yelling "WHOA!"

Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:55 pm

Check out the way he moves when he ends I Got A Woman on TTWII SE, that´s great stuff IMO.

Sincerely MB280E

Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:09 pm

The end of 'Got A Lot O' Livin' To Do' in 'Loving You'. Baby, that is rock n roll!!!!

Re: Best Elvis concert moves

Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:19 pm

Spanish_Eyes wrote:
Suspicious Minds SE helicopter (in Elvis'Babe avatar)

That move is copied almost identically by "Fergie" (I think her name is) in the "Black Eyed Peas" can't remember what song she uses it on.

Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:22 pm

The Hound Dog legs - Milton Berle show '56.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:12 am

that swivel hip walk across the stage that you see in the tupelo footage. the one where he lifts his leg manually and puts it down and then walks sideways across the stage.

he does a similar move during the jailhouse rock number in the movie.

and along the lines of the tupelo footage--the bit where he goes down on the microphone with his legs.

some of those moves at the beginning of elvis on tour as well are pretty damn good.

and of course polk salad and suspicious minds. right when he flips around after pestering the sweets he goes into a really cool arm thing. and of course the camera going in and out on him gyrating in polk salad.

and for coolness sake--when he blows up his hair during the big booming band bit of american trilogy in aloha.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:21 am

suaveharv wrote:The Hound Dog legs - Milton Berle show '56.
Nothing tops that one. Except maybe a police or newsfilm from 56-57. No Tom Jones influence there :!:

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:38 am

The video performance of (You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care is really hard to beat...

Also, The '68 Comeback performances of All Shook Up and Jailhouse Rock are jus sauve... 8)

Rock N Roll at it's absolute B :!: EST

Jus classic, if You ask me :!: 8)

Elvis best moves on stage

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:56 am

A couple which come to mind immediately......

1---On the original That's the way it is, at the ending of suspicious minds, he does that ultra cool "shoulder thing" with the drum roll....Very cool!

2---One night with you on the "That's the way it" special edition. This is where he is joking with the Sweet Inspirations then he goes into this funky backward dance. It's very unchateristics for him, but it looks cool.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:30 am

one night's sort of jerky dance is great where he's rocking back and forth with his hand open.

and of course you gotta love it when elvis does the half-split when he says "i hope these pants don't tear up baby".

and of course once again the swivel sidewalk after the running in-place dance in baby, i don't care.

viva las vegas also brings back the running in-place dance and the shake, and his parading around of the showgirls. then of course there's the move that looks awfully similar to the moonwalk as he goes backwards.

i like when he swivels on his foot with the cape as well--like during can't help falling in love in eot.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:33 am

In the 50´s when he wore the lame suit that had the advertise for Jailhouse Rock.
There we have Elvis rocking!!!!!

Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:36 am

The bit with the leg whilst holding his geetar under his arm during 'Heartbreak Hotel' on the Dorsey show. Cool or what?

Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:24 am

carolynlm wrote:All these moves mentioned are great and only Elvis could do it, but my favourite is when he has turned to the Sweets during Suspicious Minds and is slowly stalking toward them.....that is so cool......that look in his eyes.....

Yeah,he gives them the same look in the original TTWII during the rehearsal of "Polk Salad Annie" but this time he' unbuckling his belt as he walks towards them !

Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:28 am

[quote="Elvis' Babe"]that swivel hip walk across the stage that you see in the tupelo footage. the one where he lifts his leg manually and puts it down and then walks sideways across the stage.

Indeed this is unbelievable footage. I recall as a teenager in the early '90s the girls in our (Sydney rockabilly) group would just go bonkas watching this footage and go "OMG look at his legs". Mannnn i used to say "Shut up for crying out loud! Look at my legs".
Anyway, is anyone any good at lip reading or know what song Elvis was performing in this footage?

Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:53 am

the footage of Elvis singing POLK SALAD ANNIE in On Tour, ya know at the end of the song when he looks at the SWEETS and sayz "Give it to me, c'mon..."

insane... :lol: 8)

Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:04 am

ooh yeah. i like the bit where he does the little hand movements during the eot polk salad...

the pumping motion and then the arm propellers at the end of got a lot of living to do...

a few moments that i just find incredibly amusing:

one of eot's greatest moments is elvis picking up that girl's red panties and saying "honey, are these yours?" along with the shot of him going low on suspicious minds and then he's like staring at somebody. :lol:

hmm...him limping off the bicycle built for two...something about him limping away towards the door like he has a wedgie or a sore butt is one of the funniest elvis moments.

and when he's singing how the web was woven on the piano, he falls over on the bench at the end.

and then the several times he swallows the mic...hilarious. love his *look* to the side when he does the "oh, so horny" mischevous grin.

i love it when he lays down on the stage too. he did that in the 50s and 70s.

let's not forget dear old nipper. :lol: ok, so there's no footage, but the description alone is priceless.

ok...not all these were dancing, but while we're on the subject of unforgettable moments.
Last edited by Elvis' Babe on Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:06 am

I've always liked the move that he makes to bring a close to You Gave Me A Mountain during tha Aloha performance.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:23 am

only Elvis can get away with that, ANYTHING he did looked good

i love when he does the guitar swings at the end of cc rider, thats allright mama etc

in burning love, he THROWS the gitar, he also takes it off with such ease and grace, its just so cool

the hand movements during the drumbeats in moutain on Aloha

hound dog on EIC, shake at the end, awesome

in alternate Aloha, he turns around by sliding on the floor on his knee when hes about to leave the stage

the arms swings for i can't stop lovin you

god how many more?! Elvis was just the BEST at stage entertainment

i love to incorporate these moves in to my performance, but my hardest one is the polk salad on TTWII. but that is so cool!

Elvis is the king

Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:22 am

[quote="Elvis' Babe"]that swivel hip walk across the stage that you see in the tupelo footage. the one where he lifts his leg manually and puts it down and then walks sideways across the stage.

THIS IS THE COOLEST, EVER!!

Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:53 pm

carolynlm wrote:There are so many Elvis moments, that we look for each time we see some footage.....and as it's been stated, not all of them were 'moves' as such......I have a bit of a laugh when Elvis sometimes makes a mention to the audience, that 'if all he needed to stand there, he'd have it made'...or words to that effect...the thing was with Elvis, that that's really all he had to do. During Aloha whilst he has his back to the audience and turns to the Stamps with the 'point' right on cue.....I know, he had sung that song a million times, but the 'point' is perfect......and to ANYONE who tries to copy these moves, just forget it, you will only make a complete fool of yourselves.......Elvis Presley was the only one who could get a way with it.....no-one could even come close. His timing was spot on, right down to throwing the cape in Aloha.

Elvis truly was a very gifted entertainer......there will never.....EVER.....be another like him!

Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:07 pm

Everybody here has named some supremely cool moves and moments, but one that always stands out to me is in the main Aloha show.

The smooth, suave move where he drops down to one knee; the arm motion, the timing, everything.... I just go "Ooooo...." every time I see that. I don't think I've seen that movement executed that smoothly on any other live concert tape or DVD.

And both versions of TTWII are filled with too many cool moves to count; in the rehearsal of "PSA" when he takes that red leather belt off and puts it over his shoulder is KILLER. Oh, how I wish for that version in good clear stereo sound....

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:07 pm

Elvis' Babe wrote:him limping off the bicycle built for two...something about him limping away towards the door like he has a wedgie or a sore butt is one of the funniest elvis moments.

I don't know if this is the funniest, because they did several takes. I have read that one version is Elvis pretending to colide with the wall and laughing his ass off, because Joe can't do nothing about it, since he isn't in command of the tandem and looks like a dummy :D

Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:21 am

Elvis' Babe's avatar show's his best. But help me out here, on 3/11/74, I attended a show with a front row seat. I swear, when leaning down on his right leg..( in the squatted position )..with his left leg extended out straight, he actually lifted his foot an inch or two off the floor. I took karate too, try that one!

Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:59 am

in regard to carolynm, true comments, i guess you have to have a certain vibe in your music. when i get in to a song that i love, like stranger in my own hometown, i know how it feels when he goes off on the song, i get in to the emotions, use different phrasings, am taken to another world, nothing is wrong at that moment. you just have to have that gift. i also can have that timing, i know a song back to front