Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

a question about "golden celebration" cd boxset

Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:12 pm

overall what is the sound quality like because the content looks great. :)

Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:40 pm

It is a good set, and well worth adding to your collection. The worst tracks in terms of sound quality, are the two live 1956 Tupelo shows, (still nice to have them though) but even though most of the rest of the collection is sourced from recordings that have less than perfect sound (TV shows, home recordings etc.) the quality is quite acceptable.
If you haven’t heard Elvis’ 1950’s TV appearances, I would recommend the set for those tracks alone.

The material from the 1968 NBC TV special has since been represented better by later releases, and is due a further upgrade from BMG later this year, but there’s still enough material on the set that is unavailable elsewhere to make it a worthwhile purchase.

Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:53 pm

Hi
I would definately get it if i were you,but it depends on how much of a fan you are.If you are seriously into Elvis then you will have to get it, but if not, then it depends on what you want to listen to from Elvis as there are other sets out there i.e Artist Of The Century etc.

Promocollector

Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:06 pm

nice picture rockinrebel

Sound Quality on Golden Celebration

Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:46 pm

Julian -

The sound is variable.

Worth the purchase price for the 50's TV soundtracks, which sound better here than on the videos.

Colin B

Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:42 am

I would get it as well for the tv appearances. The home recordings were fun to have as well(am I getting this mixed up with Silver?).

Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:11 am

You're right, Genesim! The home recordings are on the GC box set. :D

The TV appearance tracks are the real selling feature of this set as, to my knowledge, they are not available, via BMG, anywhere else.
The bits with Milton Berle are a real hoot!!!
Some of the SUN recordings are also worth having.
The '68 stuff is redundant.
The Tupelo '56 shows are for true collector's although the sound is pretty descent when compared to the Hayride recordings that have been released. The sound of the Tupelo shows is quite listenable (is that a word???)
The interviews with Elvis' parents and Nick Adams are interesting.

Overall a pretty good package. Go and get it!!! :)