Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:49 am

:o Spot on with 'Fool' Rick that would be 'likely' and also Pete Dube spot on with Omaha observations! How Great and Hurt WERE the 2 highlights of that whole show! :lol:

Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:03 pm

about the last shows ... i think Elvis was "in jail" with the same and same and same set listing . all your reactions and explanations are interesting and clever , you can see today this "default" (doing all the time the same tunes on stage) with a lot of modern bands
Think about AC/DC , i've seen them a lot of times , each concert was great but it was everytimt the same (almsot) set list ! some weks ago i was in italy for an heavy metal festival . this event was full of old hard rock legends from the 80's .
During the SAXON (great english hard rock band from the 80's) show , the singer asked to the public : "what kind of songs do you want , new songs or old songs" ?? you know the answer : OLD songs !!!! that was the same stuff for MOTORHEAD, WHITESNAKE and the others you come to see your favorite band playing live and you want to be sure you'll hear them performing your faves tunes , and the band does not play with the fans ...they know what to perform ...
for any band , the best show could be on a fine line between old and new tracks . During one of their world tour, THE CURE changed their set list every night to make every show a special one and to please the bootlegers . it was a great idea ! !
we all know thet Elvis did not sell too much around the end (records sales) but every show was sold out and full , he was really "in jail" with his image and his legendary tunes .
THE 1977 august tour would have been the opportunity to prove he was still alive and ready to kick some asses ! i also do beleive , Elvis needed a break for at least one year or even more . And after a come back ( anew one !) to please everybody , some shows with old tunes and new ones .
Olivier

Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:51 am

I think he should have dropped 'Hound Dog', he didn't do the song any justice at all. The best part of the song was the start of it. Listening to it from the last filmed concerts (especially Omaha), Elvis is just about going through the motions.

He seemed to have a little more respect for some of the early numbers (Trying To Get To You and That's Alright are performed well).