Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Set List for Elvis' August 1977 Portland show

Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:29 am

Does anyone know if a setlist exists for Elvis' August 17, 1977 show in Portland.
Before I get the smarta$$ remarks, I'm talking about the fact that there were supposed to be
new numbers added for the upcoming tour (according to Dick Grob).
I was just curious to know if any setlists were made out for this tour that never happened?

Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:45 am

I don't have Grob's book on hand at the moment, but I do recall one song listed being "The Twelfth of Never."

I honestly don't believe much that Grob has to say about things, ........ as a result, I don't put too much stock in the above either.

Regarding the setlists, anything is certainly possible, ......... BUT I would be very skeptical of any lists surfacing on the market. There have been a whole lot of setlists popping-up in recent years ............... I seriously doubt all are legit.

N8
... just a fan ....

Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:21 am

There was stuff like "Wabash Cannonball" and "Sweet Caroline" thrown around but of course it's all pure speculation. I think there's a good chance he might have played "Way Down" his current single than anything else.

Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:43 pm

Probable set-list:

Theme 2001 / C.C. Rider
I Got A Woman / Amen
Love Me
If You Love Me (Let Me Know)
You Gave Me A Mountain
Jailhouse Rock
And I Love You So
Teddy Bear / Don’t Be Cruel
Johnny B. Goode (James Burton)
What’d I Say (James Burton)
Early Morning Rain
Drum solo
Bass solo
Piano solo
Electric Clarinet solo
Trumpet Solo
Flute solo
Joe Guercio Orchestra theme
Hurt
Danny Boy / Walk With Me (Sherrill Nielsen)
Can’t Help Falling In Love / Closing.

:wink:

Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:03 pm

:( Rock Ledgend surely that set list is 100% 'joke?' I mean even his WORST show had a better set list than that! Despite mention of 'new' songs I strongly suspect as many,many times before he wouldn't have included much that was new, however 2 songs DOA seem possible to have fitted in WELL to that forthcoming tour and in my humble opinion that would have been "Wabash Cannonball" sung during the solo's/intros and 'Twelfth of Never' straight AFTER the intros.Nice that 'Way Down' would have been i don't think he was 'up' for that, maybe more 'unchained melody' on a good night but anyway all of this is speculation, but this is my 2 cents worth. :roll:

Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:12 pm

OK, my post was a bit "tongue-in-cheek" (one look at the band intros should have told you that), but other than that, I don't think it's far from the truth.
Elvis was simply not "up" anymore for any changes. He had been doing besically the same list of songs night after night for at least 18 months now, and he'd wearing the same suit almost night after night since February 1977.
Do you really believe that he was planning all kinds of changes - new suit, new songs, etc.?
Perhaps I'm a pessimist, but I don't think so.

Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:19 pm

Rock Legend wrote:Do you really believe that he was planning all kinds of changes ........ ?

If Larry Geller is to be believed, ........... then, "Yes." :wink:

N8
... just a fan ....

Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:04 pm

Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain?

Elvis' show lists

Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:37 pm

Hi everyone!

Sadly, I don't think the set list for the scheduled August 77 tour would've changed a lot from his actual last concerts in June.
The Elvis Presley show had become too much of a routine for that to happen, I'm afraid.

I sure wish that Elvis would've changed and varied his shows more than he did in the late 70s.
The fans wanted of course to hear his old hits, but surely the true magic of being at an Elvis show decreased during the 70s.

Imagine how it was in 69-73 (partly 74 as well):
For each new Vegas season or tour on the road, Elvis and his band rehearsed and tried out several new songs.
Some of them made it to the actual show, some didn't.
But the set list was never 100 per cent planned when he entered the stage in this period.

As the years drove by, it became more and more a routine, I guess.
Too bad, though...
I would've loved to hear him sing other material than the "safe and well-known oldies stuff"...

Br
Kristian

Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:06 pm

I think the muted reponse from the audience at the 19 August 74 show maybe paved the way for the coming years. He tried something brave, something different, but unfortunately the Vegas crowd just wanted a greatest hits / safe show. had the response been different - who knows things may have been different...though probably not!

Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:06 pm

The fans wanted of course to hear his old hits, but surely the true magic of being at an Elvis show decreased during the 70s.

What's amazing to me is that the crowds just seem to get more and more wild... listening to audio from an earlier concert year versus a latter concert, and it's just really odd to hear that the crowds almost got wilder in later shows.

But by then, Elvis was such a living legend that it probably became more of an event to see him than the actual show. But I'm very sure he gave what he could with what he felt he had to do.. these are just some observations. :)

Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:30 pm

Personnally, I find some of the proposed titles a bit hard to believe. Why the heck would he want to do, of all things "Sweet Caroline" in Aug. 77?
This is kind of a no-brainer, but the basic Aug. setlist would've probably looked alot like this IMO:
2001 theme
C.C. Rider
I Got A woman/Amen
Love Me
Fairytale (or If You Love Me Let Me Know)
You Gave Me A Mountain
Jailhouse Rock
O Sole Mio/It's Now Or Never
Little Sister (or Trying To Get To You)
Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel (or Blue Suede Shoes)
My Way (or another big ballad, Bridge would be a safe bet)
Polk Salad Annie (depending on his physical condition)
Band intros plus the excerpts of: Early Morning Rain; What'd I Say; Johnny B. Goode; I Really Don't Want To Know; Hail, Hail Rock & Roll.
Hurt
Hound Dog
Unchained Melody
Can't Help Falling In Love
He likely would've continued to do That's All Right and Are You Lonesome Tonight? while playing rhythm guitar at some of the shows. Other songs that would likely have been done at some shows: Help Me; And I Love You So; Big Boss Man; Hawaiin Wedding Song; Fever; How Great Thou Art; Funny How Time Slips Away. Also possible are Love Me Tender; Heartbreak Hotel; One Night; Reconsider Baby; Blue Christmas.
Finally, he may very well have performed Way Down - I wish he would've done it on the June tour (don't we all!).

Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:11 pm

psk -

It's true that the audiences [especially in Vegas] only wanted to hear the hits.

But he had so many of them, he could have changed his whole set-list and still delivered a 'hit' package.

Why he stuck with throw-away versions of 'Hound Dog' & 'Dont Be Cruel' etc. is a mystery.

Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:43 pm

Shoulda-coulda-woulda.....oh well, we can dream, right?

Personally, I think he should have semi-retired "Hound Dog" around '73 and replaced it with a kick-ass version of "Baby, Let's Play House."

Other up-tempo material could have been regularly substituted.

Marie's The Name
Stuck On You
Return To Sender
Treat Me Nice
Rip It Up
Guitar Man (JB could have had a field day with it)

The list could go on and on. I think Elvis was of the mind that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...especially if no one was complaining.

Eagle

His Truth Is Marching On...

Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:22 pm

Colin B /Eagle

Totally agree guys.

Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:35 pm

A problem for Elvis would have been remembering the lyrics to any new songs and it wouldn't have looked good reading all of the words.

He was comfortable with the songs he knew and, despite his medication, he often pulled it off. Unbelievably so. You only have to watch Omaha. Just when you think he is struggling, he sings and sounds outstanding.

He didn't rehearse any songs with the band and hadn't rehearsed for years. He certainly didn't rehearse before the August tour, so new songs would have been hard to do, just 'off the cuff'.

Sadly, it seemed Elvis was happy doing as little as he could with his shows by 1977. Of course, this was more than adequate for the fans.

Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:55 pm

Getlo -

The fans at the live concerts in the years leading up to mid-1977 were pretty easily pleased !

Wonder how his set-lists would have changed if he had found himself singing to empty seats ?

As it is, you are right, he got by doing as little as possible.

Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:21 pm

ColinB wrote:Wonder how his set-lists would have changed if he had found himself singing to empty seats ?

Maybe that would have shaken Elvis enough to change the set-list?

Some of the fans would have been happy to hear him sing out the numbers in the phone book. Mind you, if I had seen him live - so would I!

Elvis has been quoted as saying, "Let's make this the best tour ever", speaking about the forthcoming August show. He was upset about the bodyguard book and wanted to do some good shows, to prove he was alright.

Sadly, the only person believing he was alright, was himself.

Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:32 pm

Getlo wrote:A problem for Elvis would have been remembering the lyrics to any new songs and it wouldn't have looked good reading all of the words.

He was comfortable with the songs he knew and, despite his medication, he often pulled it off. Unbelievably so. You only have to watch Omaha. Just when you think he is struggling, he sings and sounds outstanding.

He didn't rehearse any songs with the band and hadn't rehearsed for years. He certainly didn't rehearse before the August tour, so new songs would have been hard to do, just 'off the cuff'.

Sadly, it seemed Elvis was happy doing as little as he could with his shows by 1977. Of course, this was more than adequate for the fans.

Getlo -
Regarding Omaha, other than How Great Thou Art and Hurt when do you think he sings and sounds outstanding? The rest of the show is pretty much in the "struggling" catagory. Just curious.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:32 am

That opening show in August 1974 was not a big departure anyways. All he did was change the opening song and introduce some new songs. After that night he still kept most of the new songs and kept adding new songs to his shows right into 1975.

By 1977 Elvis and the band were not rehearsing anymore so it was not likely that news songs would be added.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:24 am

Pete Dube wrote:Getlo-
Regarding Omaha, other than How Great Thou Art and Hurt when do you think he sings and sounds outstanding? The rest of the show is pretty much in the "struggling" catagory. Just curious.

Well, of course those are the two songs at the top of the list but also:-

Apart from the below-par opening dialogue, I think 'That's Alright Mama' is a great version. Elvis sings it well and it's a good performance of a 50's song.

'Fairytale' is a very good performance, with Elvis hiting all of the high notes.

'I Really Don't Want To Know' is a nice bluesy song and is sung really well.

'It's Now Or Never' is only spoilt by Sherril's vocals at the start of the song. Elvis sings it superbly and hits a great note at the end.

'Hurt', as already mentioned - fantastic. "I need all the help I can get on this one", states Elvis, before launching into the song. When in fact, he didn't need any help at all.

'How Great Thou Art' is worthy of any audience's fee, just to hear him sing that song, with total vocal prowess.

Yes, I agree, on some songs he sounds very tired and it's evident listening to Elvis talking that he is struggling to speak, let alone sing. But on some songs, he does pull it off and he does sound vocally outstanding.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:31 am

Getlo - can you give me any more info on your avatar pic?
Cheers

Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:43 am

psk wrote:Getlo - can you give me any more info on your avatar pic?
Cheers

Certainly. It's a 'still' taken from the Rapid City, 21st June 1977 footage, from the song "See See Rider". It's just as Elvis turns and smiles.

I thought he looked good in profile, even in 1977.

I took the shot using a digital still camera, on a slow shutter speed. It was then edited to reduce any screen lines and the colour was adjusted, using 'Paint Shop Pro'.

Hope that helps.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:51 am

it's realy a great picture - thanks for the info

Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:34 am

I recall reading that he was planning to add `The Fool' which isn't impossible. There's not that many lyrics, it was an old favorite and he had just added I Really Don't Want To Know from the same period.
rick