Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Summer Festival CD Edited?

Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:46 am

My FTD cd Summer Festival arrived today, and after listening to it I have the opinion that parts of the main show have been editied.

Just after I Got A Woman, the sound is at one level, then abruptly switches to a different level that includes a bit if hiss. There are others parts during this show that have the sound like the same thing.

Did FTD edit this show on purpouse, or was it editied due to flaws on the source tape, or are my ears playing tricks on me?

One other thing I noticed was the 2001-opening vamp sounds almost identical to the boot cd Elvis At Full Blast, because on both cd's you can hear the same female voices saying "ohhhhh" just as the drum roll begins.

Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:10 am

I have only listened to the first 6 songs and there is a noticable change in presence between track 4 and track 5; its as if "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" is from a different source. Scanning ahead in bits and pieces (as I did not have time to listen to each performance properly) there seems to be differences in sound. I was aiming to start a thread early this morning but Big Boss Man beat me to the punch :D So what do all the experts say....this regards explanation.

Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:20 pm

After listening a couple of times, I do believe that Until It's Time For You To Go and You Don't Have To Say You Love Me are from different shows or different tapes. I also notice that during the closing / outro vamp the tape seams to have had some "bad spots". Perhaps this is why those songs sound the way they do?

Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:50 am

Yes, "Until It's Time For You To Go" does indeed sound like it's been taken from another show or tape. But perhaps the sound engineer was just messing with the levels or something. I mean, if the song was from another show, I guess FTD would say so.

I listened to "Summer Festival" for the first time last night and I have to say it's already my favourite FTD soundboard so far! It's an all business, no bullshit, perfectly professional performance by Elvis. "What Now My Love" and "My Way" are very well sung. Just beautiful. The sound is superb, too - especially if you consider the fact that it's a soundboard from 1972. This is definitely another winner from the FTD team!

But it hasn't generated much buzz on this MB, has it? Weird!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:34 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:if the song was from another show, I guess FTD would say so.

At least, they have always done so in the past. I would think that the same thing would have been done in this case.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:21 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote: It's an all business, no bullshit, perfectly professional performance by Elvis. "What Now My Love" and "My Way" are very well sung. Just beautiful.
Keith Richards, Jr.

Couldn't agree more !

And the last big effort in Las Vegas was in March 1975.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:34 pm

I'll agree with Keith by saying this is truly a fine addition to the FTD collection.

A very professional and straightforward performance that is quite enjoyable. Other than the few spots where the sound level is lower than on other songs, it's a terrific cd and concert that everyone should go out and get!

Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:08 pm

I like this release very much, it´s a nice concert with little or no fooling around. (I have nothing against Elvis joking on stage) Most songs are very well performed, My Way for exampe is great! One thing I noticed this weekend when I listened to this release through headphones (KOSS) was a strange sound during Fever. It´s just before he sings the last verse, it sounds like a mobilephone ringing...it couldn´t be, could it...??

Sincerely MB280E

Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:03 pm

Oh well, the sound is pretty bad and a real let down. But what else can you expect from poor old Lene Reidel?. Nothing! I know now what FTD means :

FTD = For the deaf ones or Feed the deaf!

Cheers

Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:30 pm

It's a soundboard and therefor an "ok" one - no multi-track recording, for heaven's sake! I really get tired of bashing Lene Reidel for every single production that person has done in the past for FTD.

I know that FTD isn't that cheap (neither are bootlegs), but if those CD's were released by any bootleggers in this form you would praise them - that's for sure.

Joern

Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:52 pm

with little or no fooling around

that's a shame mate. i am always entertained when I hear Elvis talking.

you guys really make me wanting this release. Fortunately, it should dispatch from amazon as we speak.

concerning tracks 4&5: great stuff for "ask ernst" vol. 5 !!!

Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:18 am

Wonderstuffer wrote:Oh well, the sound is pretty bad and a real let down. But what else can you expect from poor old Lene Reidel?. Nothing! I know now what FTD means :

You need to keep in mind that these shows were not originally meant to be heard by the general public. FTD is a label for hardcore Elvis fans.
I for one, am glad to have these releases regardless of the sub-par sound on some of them.

You might want to stick to the BMG compilations.

Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:54 pm

For me the sound is Ok. Let´s thank FTD for releasing these concerts...keep´em coming!

Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:49 pm

Wonderstuffer wrote:
Oh well, the sound is pretty bad and a real let down. But what else can you expect from poor old Lene Reidel?. Nothing! I know now what FTD means :

Cheers

If you compare Summer Festival (or any other soundboard, for that matter) to let's say the Aloha From Hawaii deluxe DVD...
Yeah! The sound on Summer Festival is crap!

But as mentioned by others: These soundboards were never intended to see the light of day!

They were simply recorded on cassettes directly from the mixing-desk, and we can only count ourselves lucky to get the opportunity to listen to these shows 30 years after!

Sure, we could argue: "Why the heck didn't Elvis record professionally all of his live shows during the 70s, the same way for instance Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band did, with the best sound equipment available at the time?

Too bad, really!

But at least we have a good portion of the August 1969 shows, February 1970 shows, August 1970 shows, February 1972 shows, April 1972 (On Tour), June 1972 (Madison Square Garden), January 1973 (Aloha), March 1974 (Memphis) and June 1977 (Omaha and Rapid City) recorded on reel-to-reel!

All the other live concerts Elvis ever held, we just have to rely on the soundboards!

If you get down to earth and realize this, you might even find yourself thinking

"Hmmm... son of a b****! It's not that bad!" :wink:

Br
Kristian

Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:52 pm

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:If you get down to earth and realize this, you might even find yourself thinking

"Hmmm... son of a b****! It's not that bad!" :wink:

Br
Kristian

Great post Kristian! I think we're lucky that there's as many recordings on tape as there is, and that with FTD we get to hear some of these in better-than-bootleg quality. No complaints here.

Jules

Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:14 pm

But what else can you expect from poor old Lene Reidel?. Nothing

Well why don't YOU apply for the job, Wonderstuffer :roll:

Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:11 pm

With a better cd player and cables between cd player and amplifier you would hear how good the sound is.Cheap cd players have crappy thin sound,you do not get the low frequences below 50 hz.Buy heavy cd players and get that fat goot sound out of your cd collection.And remember an powerful amplifier makes the sound good even at low volume.FTD cd`s have good sound with the right audioeqipment. :wink:

Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:46 am

Renan wrote:For me the sound is Ok. Let´s thank FTD for releasing these concerts...keep´em coming!

My thoughts exactly Renan, keep ´em coming! (Those thoughts, too...!) :wink:

Sincerely MB280E

Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:14 pm

I agree with Svallan, if you have good equipment, soundboards will sound very good,very close to RCA sound quality is Elvis At Full Blast, and Blazing Into The Darkness-they are a hair slow on the pitch, but that's easy to fix. Also Greensboro 4-14-92 is fantastic. MONO, but still great sound!
Glen

Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:48 pm

Benny Hill wrote: Also Greensboro 4-14-92 is fantastic. MONO, but still great sound!

I wouldn't exactly call the Greensboro CD from Triangle a soundboard and it definitely was not recorded in 1992.

Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:07 pm

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:
Wonderstuffer wrote:

Cheers

Sure, we could argue: "Why the heck didn't Elvis record professionally all of his live shows during the 70s, the same way for instance Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band did, with the best sound equipment available at the time?

Too bad, really!

Br
Kristian

Actually, Bruce Springsteen only recorded a few of his shows in the 1970s. A few 1975 shows were put on tape, as well as handful of 1978 Drakness shows. Most of the shows committed to tape were ones being broadcast over the radio to various US markets. For example, in 1975, Bruce put two BTR shows on makrets in LA and NY. And in 1978, Brcue aired five of his mammoth 1978 shows on radio in markets all around the country - ranging from LA to NY to the South to the mdiwest. It is these shows which have been heavily bottlegged througout the years.

True, some additional Bruce shows from the 1970s were put on soundboard tape, which have since been bootlegged. BUT, even those that have come out, have sometimes been incomplete and filled with not the greatest sound. If Bruce ever does release his live shows again, he sould start with his 1978 Drarkness radio shows - they are simply amazing, the second best live shows only topped by Elvis on June 27, 1968.

Given Colonel Parker's cheapness, we are lcuky he committed any shows to tape at all. If only Elvis had changed his setlist more often, these tapes could yield more interesting results.

Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:58 am

Rob wrote:I wouldn't exactly call the Greensboro CD from Triangle a soundboard...

Why wouldn't you Rob? I'd bet my right nut it's not taken from a multitrack...
it's essentially the same sound as heard on Sweet Carolina with some digital enhancement.

Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:31 am

Brad -
You are a veteran of this board. Sometimes you have to read between the lines.

Technically, it is a soundboard (even though I'm still not 100% convinced.) Quality wise, it is superior to your basic soundboard show, with very few exceptions.

When I first heard this, I was totally impressed and we do not need FTD releasing it because there is nothing wrong with the Triangle release.

I would much rather have something unreleased.

However, my original point being that it is not your typical soundboard. In my opinion, it beats the sound of the San Antonio show that was released by BMG and totally whips the ass of the MSG evening show quality (which was multitrack.)

Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:00 am

Re. Summer Festival

Just for information. We have not edited this concert. It's presented like it is on the tape (1/4" not casette). I was as puzzled by the change of sound as you are, and I can only suspect that this is due to certain changes the engineer made as he went along, most likely connected to the amount of reverb he put on Elvis' voice. We tried our best to limit the hiss on UNTIL, but getting rid of such massive hiss, would have created other sonic problems.

We aim to tell you when we insert material from other shows.

Best

Ernst

Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:12 am

Ernst, thanks for clearing that. I hope you're doing better.

All the best

Marko