Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Rags To Riches - Studio

Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:36 am

We have, officially released takes 2 & 3 of Rags To Riches, the Master is a splice take 4 and 1 line of take 3. Now I'm assuming this 'one line' of take 3 is "kiss me" (as in "hold me and kiss me"), were the rest of the Master take is take 4.

Now with the above knowledge, does this mean that the undubbed take off the Pure Diamonds import cd is actually TAKE 4 ? On this release you can clearly hear Elvis say 'hold me and cUSS me' , the rest of this track is identical to the Master (before overdubs were applied). Is this correct, is this take 4 ?

Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:50 am

Yep! It's take 4. :)

Now if we only had take one...

Looking at the way Ernst has been filling "outtake holes" lately, it won't be long.

Between the regular FTDs, the "Classic Albums" series of FTDs, and the future box sets, I'd saw we got 3/4ths of everything within the next 3 years or so - which is, interestingly enough, the current term of Ernst's contract with BMG if I'm right.

Very cool stuff. He's one cool guy!

Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:56 am

Thanks Mike.....thought it HAD to be, nice to have it confirmed by another sessioner.

Yes we have been spoilt over the years, I'm for one very grateful.....but we need the 1971 studio alternates & we need them yesterday :lol:

Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:15 am

Mike & Ray -

Which take is on the 1993 unofficial CD: 'For The Good Times' ?

Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:27 am

Hi Ray,

The issue of Rags to Riches is interesting. If you compare the various releases of the supposed master, you will find they are slightly different. The first stereo release was on the silver box, but the mix was a bit different to the mono single, with guitars more upfront and piano a little quieter in the mix. The mix is muddy too.

Then we got the 70s box. The version on here is missing the backing vocals, but also spliced differently. The words 'kiss me' are as on the master. This I think was a vocal repair - I don't think 'kiss me' was taken from take 3, but I could be wrong. More importantly, the rest of that line doesn't match the master at all. Listen to 'tell me you're mine evermore' - totally different phrasing to the master. Then compare the same line from take 3 (Essential Elvis 4) and it completley matches the master! So what we have on the 70s box and all releases since then is unspliced, undubbed take 4 with the vocal repair on 'kiss me', but wrongly it doesn't include the rest of the line from take 3. I wish someone at BMG would notice this and release the single as it was originally intended to be :?

Hope that makes sense anyway. Cheers,

Johnny

Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:55 am

Colin, sorry I don't have the import For The Good Times, but maybe others can confirm what Woodley says 'Take 3' (?).

Johnny that's some interesting observations you have there & I thought it was only me that should be locked up :lol: . Great work.....looks like I've got some further observing to do this weekend. Hey have you ever noticed that 'going into minute detail' on songs/tracks/sessions to the nth degree appears to be a Male Elvis Fan thing ?
Not putting down any female readers here, but I've never encountered (or come across one :lol: for that matter) that goes to such depths with the Elvisdom.