Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
splanky
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Oddities some fans don't know about

Post by splanky »

In a previous thread the matter under discussion was the large amount of songs that were not yet released on cd.Some interesting information for collectors was dug up.It also became evident that the long list of songs could be divided into different sub-groups that were related to each other.

This realization started me thinking along some different lines.Like for example,could there be more hidden gems out there that even though they are to be found on cd still somehow escape the attention of some ardent Elvis-fans.

I think there are some and I challenge those who know about such songs to contribute in our common search for more rare tracks by Elvis.

An interesting cd containing at least 7 oddities was released by BMG in 1997 as a soundtrack to a ballet set to the music of Elvis.It is titled Blue Suede Shoes and have songs that were overdubbed,shortened and most significantly,extended.

Best always,
Splanky

jetblack
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by jetblack »

All of the following need official UK/US CD release.

The Elvis Medley
Bossa Nova Baby (extended mix)
You Can Have Her, I Don't Want Her
Portrait Of My Love
I'm Leaving It Up To You

That's just for starters.

Andy

Keith F

Post by Keith F »

"The Elvis Medley" was officially released (7 48211 13562 2), and the extended "Bossa Nova Baby" in on the officially released 'Latino'. I don't think we'll see the last three tracks released on an "Official" CD though

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

I Was Born About Ten thousand Years Ago(Time Life treasures 1970-1976) the fadeout is longer until you can hear Elvis and the band finish.R806-13 07863-69412-2

Stephen Butler
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Stephen Butler »

We need official CD releases of This is Elvis and The Sound of Your Cry albums from 1981. There are many oddities on both these albums. This is Elvis contains, amongst other things, a spliced Blue Suede Shoes from 1968 that you can't get anywhere else. Also, dubbed versions of Merry Christmas Baby and American Trilogy.

The Sound of Your Cry features an "extended" It's Only Love, as well as the title track, that I would love to get on CD.

Stephen Butler:

Special Elvis Agent At Large

familyjules
Registered for: 19 years

Post by familyjules »

Stephen Butler wrote:We need official CD releases of This is Elvis and The Sound of Your Cry albums from 1981. There are many oddities on both these albums.
I agree - I'd love to have those songs. Maybe FTD could put out those albums?

Jules

Marko
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Marko »

Stephen Butler wrote:We need official CD releases of This is Elvis and The Sound of Your Cry albums from 1981. There are many oddities on both these albums. This is Elvis contains, amongst other things, a spliced Blue Suede Shoes from 1968 that you can't get anywhere else. Also, dubbed versions of Merry Christmas Baby and American Trilogy.
This Is Elvis has also Always On My Mind with a strings overdub. Also, DJ Fontana re-recorded his drum part for the songs from 50's tv-performances.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

I'm not wild about these cuts. I say just track it down on LP.

It's not like he approved these versions. It was done post '77.

I know, we want everything but...

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

automan
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by automan »

Noticed part about elvis ballet CD?? Any more info on this as my daughter does ballet and would be cool to see her do domething elvis related.

Topic author
splanky

Post by splanky »

I have never seen the ballet,but it was performed in the USA for quite some time by pro's in the New Dance Ventures and Cleveland San Jose Ballet.From the cd's pages it seems that the dancers were dressed in 50's teenage fashions and stage props seem flamboyant.

It's a 2-cd with 34 songs by Elvis and 2 Elvis songs played by a big band.Very catchy,I think.Most interesting for fans is the fact that One Night of Sin and Jailhouse Rock have been overdudded by sax and brass,and that Starting Today is lengthened to 2:55.Long,Lonely Highway is not faded,but has a rousing finale with choir and big band dubbed on very effectively.A Big Hunk O' Love features a double piano solo (take 3+4 ?).Long Tall Sally and Bossa Nova Baby are noticably different too.

Best always,
Splanky

Marko
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Marko »

automan wrote:Noticed part about elvis ballet CD?? Any more info on this as my daughter does ballet and would be cool to see her do domething elvis related.
You can get it from Amazon's market place for less than 4 bucks.

You can also listen to samples of the tracks here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002X2W/qid=1128095600/sr=8-6/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i6_xgl15/104-3812859-7119165?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

I don't have the "ballet" CD, but I did like the track borrowed
from it on the recent Legendary Performer Vol. 5: "One Night Of Sin" - with sax overdubs.

To my ears, it's better this way. :shock: Sounds bluesier, more
full, and more New Orleans,as with the original Smiley Lewis version.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Topic author
splanky

Post by splanky »

Good to see that Madison are willing and able to give us the oddities that seem to be largely forgotten or over-looked by the company and the enterprises.

What a terrific series Joan Deary started and how neglected her work has been by the afore-mentioned entities.

Best always,
Splanky