Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Elvis and the Motown Sound

Post by likethebike »

Although, Elvis reactions to the British Invasion have been moderately well documented, we have also no scholarship on Elvis' opinion of the other great phenomenon of the 1960s- Berry Gordy's Motown Sound- advertised- quite truthfully at that time- as "The Sound of Young America."

From what little evidence we have, the great artists of Motown- Marvin Gaye, Martha and the Vandellas, Stevie Wonder, the Temptations, the Supremes, the Four Tops, the Miracles, the Marevellettes, etc. seem to have flown right by Elvis. There are no Motown remakes. (Perhaps thankfully because everyone and his brother has a crack at that catalogue and most come up short.) There are no Motown one liners. No interview references by the Mafia. And within the limited presentations of his record collection that I have seen there are no Motown records. (If anyone has seen the Estate's big list for collectors only, I would love to know if they spotted any Motown hits in there.) Signs that the label made any impression on him are slim. There was his toss off joke about the Supremes in "That's the Way it is." There is also Marty Lacker's recollection of a brief encounter with Diana Ross in Hollywood. Finally, there is the story of Elvis meeting the Jackson Five in 1974 and complimenting them on their hit "Dancing Machine." Reportedly this story is from Michael Jackson himself. (Please don't let this start an MJ bash fest.)

These records dominated the airwaves in the '60s (and popular culture ever since). There is no way that Elvis could have missed them. (The sound was a significant influence even on the Beatles themselves.) From the available evidence, he just doesn't seemed to have cared for the sound.

In many ways it's kind of a puzzle. Psychedelic music failed to move him in anyway but that was far removed from his base. Motown seemed to be right up his alley, great harmony, great lead singing, gospel based. In fact, Berry Gordy used Elvis' crossover success as the model for his label. Elvis had a strong following in Detroit and Smokey Robinson, Mary Wilson and others at the label were admitted fans. Even more Berry Gordy was an important early collaborator with Elvis favorite Jackie Wilson.

Perhaps the sound was too slick for him. Elvis clearly had a taste for the rootsier southern R&B of the time. In fact, he seemed to like and listen to almost every Perhaps like his top biographer Peter Guralnick, Elvis thought there was something missing from the Motown sound. Still, Elvis was no purist. And Elvis loved the big production that Chips Moman gave him in 1969 and he found a place in his heart for the Righteous Brothers and Phil Spector's "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling." So, it's clear he didn't mind a little shine on his roots. Perhaps he was simply being a contrarian. Still, when you look at some of the songs he loved in the 1960s, it's hard to imagine him not finding a place in his heart for something like "Stop! In the Name of Love."

Thoughts. And again information on Motown songs that Elvis did listen to would be appreciated.

Trevell
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by Trevell »

Interesting thoughts LTB...

I wish I could remember, but I swear I read an article somewhere that talked about a few records in Elvis' collection. Of those few, they mentioned that one of Stevie Wonder's albums was the most worn out, meaning he listened to it very often. I think it was I Was Made To Love Her, which came out in '67. It may have been the single rather than the album...I can't remember.

Didn't the Sweet Insperations open up the show with covers of Stevie Wonder songs?

But I agree, Elvis definitely leaned towards the Stax/Southern Soul/Blues sounds. I wonder if he was a fan of Memphis great Al Green?

Flippy...Real Flippy...

Johnny
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Johnny »

Didn't Elvis introduce Diana Ross at one of the 69 shows? If I'm not mistaken it's on the Here I Go Again soundboard after the band introductions. He says 'I love her!' - sounds pretty enthusiastic to me!

Johnny

iamhekev
Registered for: 20 years

Post by iamhekev »

In an interview, Ronnie Tutt said that one of the drummers from motown,was the choice EP had,till he came in the door and did his Audiction.

KEV.

SAM...17.3.1955 to 24.1.2008

Topic author
likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by likethebike »

Thanks everyone. This is valuable info. Just the kind of stuff I love to find out on a board like this.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

My own tastes (surprise) often mirror Elvis' in some respects, so I'm not surprised
that he might dig Stevie Wonder...and not so much the others.

It's an interesting post, but given his huge musical taste, it's just
as well. And like others here say, his soul music taste (and ears) surely ran closer to rootsier things that came out of Memphis and the South
such as Stax or Goldwax or the Muscle Shoals stuff.

Although I find Motown infectious (when it's not been played to death),
it's also is much brighter and sunnier than what I can imagine him digging
into. Sure, some of the Four Tops and the Temptations must
have struck a chord, but the rest of it may have been too shiny.

I guess my question to you, LTB, as an apparent fan of Motown,
what songs do you think he might have successfully tackled?

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by Renan »

Four Tops - I Can´t Help Myself.....this a brilliant song!

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Yeah, but I"m glad Elvis didn't do it. Maybe it's just worn out,
or I just don't want to hear him sing "sugar-pie, honey bunch.."

Much of the sound of Motown was really teen-oriented. Elvis'
teen era, if any, was the '50s.

The '60s deep soul sound was by definition more adult in concerns.

And imagine if Elvis had covered Motown. They already have a field
day that he covered Little Richard, Ray Charles, etc. :roll:

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

Lakeisha

Post by Lakeisha »

Elvis LOVED The Supremes and jokingly nicknamed The Sweet Inspirations The Supremes. He even had a few of their albums among his favs in his record collection.

I have heard Jermaine Jackson say on TBN that they (the J-5) once met Elvis in Vegas and that they were awestruck by his appearance. He knew who they were and said he digged their music. That meant so much to them. Also, Elvis sings one line of ABC just before goin onstage in TTWII.

It's possible that Elvis did introduce Diana Ross at one of his shows, because Mary Wilson has said a few times how she and Diana used to hurry up after Diana's shows at the MGM Grand to go see Elvis' midnight show at the International Hotel.

Motown singers that I know Elvis liked are: Supremes, Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, Temptations, The Four Tops, and Jackson 5.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Lakeisha wrote:Elvis LOVED The Supremes and jokingly nicknamed The Sweet Inspirations The Supremes. He even had a few of their albums among his favs in his record collection.

I have heard Jermaine Jackson say on TBN that they (the J-5) once met Elvis in Vegas and that they were awestruck by his appearance. He knew who they were and said he digged their music. That meant so much to them. Also, Elvis sings one line of ABC just before goin onstage in TTWII.

It's possible that Elvis did introduce Diana Ross at one of his shows, because Mary Wilson has said a few times how she and Diana used to hurry up after Diana's shows at the MGM Grand to go see Elvis' midnight show at the International Hotel.

Motown singers that I know Elvis liked are: Supremes, Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, Temptations, The Four Tops, and Jackson 5.
Interesting response, Lakeisha.
I'm not surprised he knew and even liked
some of those acts (he truly loved popular music, be it Pat
Boone or Little Richard),
but what is your proof of the last paragraph's
statement? Sounds more like an assertion.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

Lakeisha

Post by Lakeisha »

Motown singers that I know Elvis liked are: Supremes, Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, Temptations, The Four Tops, and Jackson 5.[/quote]

Interesting response, Lakeisha.
I'm not surprised he knew and even liked
some of those acts (he truly loved popular music, be it Pat
Boone or Little Richard),
but what is your proof of the last paragraph's
statement? Sounds more like an assertion.[/quote]

Jerry Schilling mentioned those names on a local tv show earlier this year when they announced his record collection. Plus Martha Reeves has said she sang with Elvis. And I have heard he went to see her group's show once in Hollywood.

Mike Eder
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Mike Eder »

Two notes on J-5 meeting(s). I read Elvis warned them against street drugs. I am not sure but Michael indicated Sammy Davis did too, not sure if it was at the same time. Perhaps this was due to his daughter playing their music, but the Jacksons were surprised he knew so many of their songs. That's all I have read that's not here.

Mike Eder

Marco Aurelio
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Post by Marco Aurelio »

As Renan mentioned above, the song "I Can´t Help Myself" is a great song recorded by The Four Tops... If you have not heard.. please listen to it! :D

And I also believe that Elvis liked all those artists.

How many stars are in the sky ???? I´LL NEVER KNOW!

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Uh, Marco, just who is the space alien that you talking about? :shock: :lol:

I still would like to see more on E's opinion on Motown.

It's hardly as clear as his affection for other stuff.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality