Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Pocket Full Of Rainbows comment

Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:19 am

Listeining to Sirius today (I also have the CD..but) when Elvis says (after many takes) "I once did 60, the record never came out.." Is he joking along with the producer with the last part of his statement or is there some sort of truth to this? Thanks!

Jon

Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:07 am

I heard this comment as well.

I think when he said it, he meant it as a joke. I've never known him to do 60 takes on any given song. If I'm wrong, someone correct me.

Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:15 am

I think the highest rate of takes was for Doncha Think It`s Time with about 40 takes..Do Not Disturb needed 31 takes..Hound Dog 28 (?)..but he ever did 60 takes..he was kidding..meaning that he never gets this song done..

Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:47 am

Jon -

Elvis may have meant that he'd run through a song sixty times, but before the tapes were rolling.

The 'and the record never came out' bit may mean that they never did record the thing !

Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:41 am

Isn't it Collector's Gold that features takes 1-28 of Pocket Full Of Rainbows?

I normally enjoy listening to different takes and studio banter. However, this went on a little too long for my personal taste.

It was definitely time to move on and come back to that one a little later.

Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:46 am

I think Elvis was being sarcastic with his comment!

maybe E got the impression that the guy who was in the control room was gettin' a bit annoyed with all the screw ups and laughter.

so E, with his rebellious quick wit , snapped back, "I did 60 one time, the record never came out..." :!: :!: :!:

That's my interpretation of it anyway...

Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:41 am

I think you are right. It is his quick wit.

So, what about that King Creole remix?

Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:03 pm

Rob -

You wrote:
Isn't it Collector's Gold that features takes 1-28 of Pocket Full Of Rainbows?

No, there are only a couple of takes on that.

Perhaps you are thinking of Cafe Europa !

Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:05 pm

I just figured it out. It was Unsurpassed Masters that I was thinking of.